Should you be allowed to bully local forces and steal their weaponry?

I have played many hours of xenonauts and I have never realized that you can knock out local soldiers and steal their lazer weaponry until pretty recently. You can make some extra money by smacking these soldiers and selling their weapons, which is a pretty corrupt move all things considered. 

So my real question is can you steal weapons in xen 2 and do you agree with how it has been implemented? Should this mechanic still be allowed in xen 2 or should it be removed entirely? It would be a pretty cool mechanic for you to be able to steal weapons from knocked out soldiers, but you would be directly punished for doing it. It would be pretty great game design if you stole weapons from local forces and then your payment from that particular region gets cut in half for a month.

Maybe you can have a secret ending where the xenonauts drive off the aliens and rule the world through violence and corruption, even putting down the efforts of both NATO and the Soviet block. You would obtain this ending by whacking enough local forces and civilians. 

On 6/12/2021 at 10:12 AM, odizzido said:

Personally I think they should be usable in the mission but you don't get to keep them.

So how would that end up happening? Should the weapons be given back for free or should you be able to get some compensation for picking them up like weapon components or money, similar to how alien weapons were handled in xen 1?

Deliberate shooting down and stealing Weapons from your Financers and very helpflull Assistance in Combat is not a good Idea, esp. in Missions where every Help is needed.

If they are dead (shoot by the Aliens) or you have an official Mission (Secret Mission against Traitors or so) and you get the Weapons then is an other Pair of Shoes.

6 hours ago, Alienkiller said:

Deliberate shooting down and stealing Weapons from your Financers and very helpflull Assistance in Combat is not a good Idea, esp. in Missions where every Help is needed.

If they are dead (shoot by the Aliens) or you have an official Mission (Secret Mission against Traitors or so) and you get the Weapons then is an other Pair of Shoes.

You could just take out the aliens first, knockout the local forces, then raid the alien ship. The local forces are not particularly useful for raiding crashed ships from what I've known from playing xenonauts and seeing some of the beta, so this strategy would not hurt you near the end of a crash mission. 

I guess this topic applies to aliens shooting down local forces as well, so should you retain weapons from looting the courses of the soldiers or should the weapon self-destruct like how the alien weapons work currently? 

If you are given a mission to deal with traitors, then I think their weapons should be blown up when killed so the player does not get a full squads worth of equipment from a single mission. 

Hmm... we will see what else there will come. It´s not finished yet. Maybe we will get an complete new System in Equipment- and UFO-Recovery.

Btw. UFO 2 ET comes out today on 17:00 Hours European Time. Evtl. we will get new Ideas for Recovery, R & D and so on. It´s the direct Competitor to Xenonauts 2 in Ground- Combat and Geoscape-Modernisation.

On 6/13/2021 at 8:36 PM, Kamehamehayes said:

So how would that end up happening? Should the weapons be given back for free or should you be able to get some compensation for picking them up like weapon components or money, similar to how alien weapons were handled in xen 1?

You wouldn't get anything. Your bonus was being able to use them in the first place. Presumably the army of the country they belong to would come in the clean up the site after you leave. If we wanted to make a stealing mechanic we should also start having the countries your stealing from get angry. At minimum cutting funding, and if you're killing their soldiers then openly attacking you. An army of 1,000,000 russian troops hitting your base with artillery, tanks, bombs, etc is likely a good deterrent. Especially when you have your own troops from russia attacking you from within.

2 minutes ago, odizzido said:

You wouldn't get anything. Your bonus was being able to use them in the first place. Presumably the army of the country they belong to would come in the clean up the site after you leave. If we wanted to make a stealing mechanic we should also start having the countries your stealing from get angry. At minimum cutting funding, and if you're killing their soldiers then openly attacking you. An army of 1,000,000 russian troops hitting your base with artillery, tanks, bombs, etc is likely a good deterrent. Especially when you have your own troops from russia attacking you from within.

You see, I'm not killing their soldiers; I'm just using the stun baton to give them a little nap, they must have been tired after all. 

Ok in all seriousness, I do get your point; there would probably need to be a mechanic dedicated to punishing you for your actions, thus maybe creating more trouble than it is worth. Though I would love for this to be explained through in-game lore.