Squadron Creation

@Chris

Is it possible to add an option to create a squadron before intercepting UFOs, for example: if more than one fighter tail UFO. 

As it was in the old original UFO (there the player could attack by several fighters at the same time, if they tail UFO).
It would be great if you could add such feature.

Please don't @ me in normal threads unless it's urgent; I know I should read these boards more but the reason I don't is just because I'm busy with other things :)

I'll ask the coders what they think, as I'm not sure whether it's easy to do from the code perspective or not. It'll also require new UI to allow selection of planes and moving them from one squadron to another so it might end up being quite a big feature.

So the results of the discussion are that we could probably set up a system where the game would automatically bring all aircraft tailing a UFO into the combat mission, and give you a pop-up to select which three interceptors you want to use if there are more than three interceptors tailing the UFO. After the battle, those units would remain in their previous squadrons.

This isn't a difficult feature to implement but it's also not a simple one either, so it's something I've filed under "nice to have" which we'll look at closer to release.

3 hours ago, Chris said:

Please don't @ me in normal threads unless it's urgent;

Sorry about that :(

3 hours ago, Chris said:

It'll also require new UI to allow selection of planes and moving them from one squadron to another so it might end up being quite a big feature.

I can offer some ideas on how this can be done:
1) The simplest - the automatic formation of a conditional squadron of single fighters that are on the tail of the UFO before the battle, if one of them enters the battle. Such a squadron will operate only in combat, after the battle the fighters will be separate again. They will not need any additional interfaces for this.
2) They can use a ready-made interface for selecting fighters. This interface will be called by clicking on an empty squadron slot (see screenshot). There, the player will be able to choose another fighter from among those that are nearby / on the tail or have same objective (as you decide).
3) Your option, a new interface for creating and editing squadrons.

In any case, creating the ability to attack UFO by fighters from different bases will be a significant step in improving air combat.

Angel.jpg

Edited by MrAlex

1 hour ago, Chris said:

so it's something I've filed under "nice to have"

I would call it a "very cool thing" that will greatly simplify balancing for air combat in the future. Because you will no longer need to decide to build a balance for 1x1 or 1x3 battles. After the implementation of this idea, it will be possible to create a flexible balance (weak UFOs are destroyed by one fighter, strong - by two or three). Especially if you have to add new levels of difficulty. And the players will no longer have to build three fighters on each base to attack a strong UFO, they will simply be able to send one fighter from each base to attack by squadron of three. This feature will be very important at the highest levels of difficulty.

Edited by MrAlex