Ok version 12 released but..

but random maps? for not having to always play the same two maps... is the most important things for now in order to play the game...

not with the new tile(tundra or desert) with the old its ok.. :(

No, not really. This isn't a finished game, it isn't even a beta. This is an alpha of a game. Goldhawk are still implementing features and functions. Compared to that maps aren't important at all. Especially since you are technically provided with the tools to make and try out your own maps. (Visit the mapping section of this forum for more information/help)

As per the kickstarter they are going to hire a dedicated level designer so more maps will most likely show up later on, but as he probably hasn't even been hired yet there has been no time to make new maps yet.

I dunno if this was an issue or if I was just impatient, but I tried hiring 5 or 6 new soldiers as soon as I started a new game in the current build, and they...never arrived. I'm pretty sure I gave it at least a week, too. I don't recall them being so slow to arrive in the previous build.

Chris said something about implementing a new hiring structure in which players get to select their new hires from a pool? Maybe that had something to do with it. Am I supposed to go someplace specific to select these people, or should it just pop up...?

As per the kickstarter they are going to hire a dedicated level designer so more maps will most likely show up later on, but as he probably hasn't even been hired yet there has been no time to make new maps yet.

I understand that you need level designers to design the buildings and tilesets, but couldn't most maps be created procedually?

I understand that you need level designers to design the buildings and tilesets, but couldn't most maps be created procedually?
Dunno.

But that's not how goldhawk has decided to do it. To prevent doors from opening into walls or the edge of the map they make a blueprint map that "submaps" fit into. a submap is a field, a barn, an office building or a gas station. Buildings or roads or open areas.

PS. I don't think designing buildings and tilesets are what the level designer is going to do. Maybe the structure of a building but not how it will look, that's up to the artists and Chris still.

I found it difficult to create maps, goldw guys could spend a day to create at least a dozen of map so we can play while :D

I suspect the level designer will be making the submaps, I had a play with the mapping tools and the submaps were the most complicated part. To create a new map from existing submaps wasn't at all hard, you just slot the blocks together. Barn here, field here, here, here and here, road sections along here, add crashed scout model, add dropship, save, done.

So you should be able to put together different farms from the existing maptool assets, even if they are just different arrangements of the same barns, field and crashsites.

I hope they do write something that can "not so randomly" throw together a map from the sub maps. So long as the sub maps for a building have some open space between the edge and the wall it should cause too many problems.

Need to have more of a play with the tools, they're not ones I've seen before.

I think it's more important time to play with more maps and then implement the female soldiers or suppression system, but it's obviously just my opinion

You have completely misunderstood the purpose of an alpha build. We aren't supposed to play the game we are supposed to test it. We are supposed to report bugs and come with suggestions to improve features. Additional maps has no impact on that what so ever. The only thing additional maps would mean is that it takes longer for goldhawk to get other stuff into the game.

Yeah, we're in the process of hiring the level designer so there'll be progress on that in the next few builds. But for the alpha we're getting all the code in place first and then we'll concentrate on the maps. It's stuff like if we had to implement a change to how cover worked or how the lighting system worked at night, we might have to redesign all of the maps as a result etc. So the code comes first and the maps are secondary.

You have completely misunderstood the purpose of an alpha build. We aren't supposed to play the game we are supposed to test it. We are supposed to report bugs and come with suggestions to improve features. Additional maps has no impact on that what so ever. The only thing additional maps would mean is that it takes longer for goldhawk to get other stuff into the game.

ok but, how can I test the alpha version if I can not play with two maps I get bored ... However, we confidently await :D

Releasing alpha builds to the public has this problems wich is a lot of people forget its still alpha, its not even beta yet. ;)

Bugs, crashes, instability, non-implemented (but promissed) features still in the works, etc.

As a software designer myself, i already consider myself lucky if an alpha build doesnt have a very serious problem that prevents significant portions of the code to not run at all :P