[V12 - Ground Combat] Shooting alien causes crash to desktop on hit

Hi there, just downloaded the latest build and going through my first playthrough. I shot down an alien craft, landed and was moving my team around the map fairly randomly. I had set a couple of buildings on fire with missiles when I saw my first alien in the distance.

I had one soldier fire a shot, which missed. I then had the tank fire a missile which also missed (and set another building on fire)

Finally I had a second soldier take aim (right clicked a couple times to use more AP?) and fire. The bullet went across the screen (a white line) and when it reached the alien there was a slight pause, it hit, and then the game crashed to Windows with an automated Windows crash report.

Unfortunately due to this crash report being on the screen I was unable to access any other windows or take any screenshots (Print Screen didn't even work) since the entire screen was frozen until I clicked "Close the Program"

Computer settings:

Windows 7 64bit - i7-2600K, Nvidia 580 1.5GB x2 (SLI) - 2560x1600, Fullscreen, anti-aliasing on. Let me know if you need any more information.

Just adding my 2 credits that this CTD has happened to me as well.

Night mission, I had an M-16 grunt spot the alien (grey, was in darkness) and crouch, then my sniper fired a shot (maxed out APs), shot traveled to the grey, stopped at alien for a few seconds, then CTD.

Windows 7 64bit, Core2 Quad (Q9400@2.67Ghz), 4GB RAM, ATI HD 5850 w/1GB (latest drivers via Steam update; Driver Packaging Version 8.961-120405a-137224C-ATI

)

I'm not entirely sure I have the same bug but I was aiming with a soldier through a window and when I shot the wall upon which the window was framed was destroyed and got a CTD.

Also as this is my first post I wish to complain about the forum registration question, the sky is most certainly grey as it is British summer time. :D

Edited by chunkynut

In the town against the larger scout, with a Precision Rifle on a crocodile-alien. With a 0% chance to hit, it seemed to hit anyways. And crashed. It was also suppressed by a machine gun prior.

Win 7 64b, Intel Q6600, Nvidia 570GTX, 4GB ramz.

I had this happen. Using the M16, maxed out the APs. It said I had a 0% chance to hit, but I fired anyway, bullet heads right for the alien, and then the game crashes just before it hits.

Was the alien suppressed?

I'm beginning to wonder if this is related to the suppression problem. All other times that I've encountered, the shot would have conceivably caused suppression when the program crashed.

Was the soldier close to the alien? Was the M-16 on burst fire?

Soldier was ten tiles away, M16 was single shot, one (different) soldier had fired at the alien previously, on the same turn, also single shot, but it missed.

Alien was inside some smoke, as well. Not sure if it's related at all, but worth mentioning.

It has just occured to me as well, used a shotgun against a Reptillian, first one missed, second one hit and at same time crashed. Tried to load up my autosave and that also caused a CTD. I was in the Industrial tileset and clearing out a light-scout wreak.

May be a problem with the new suppressed feature or game can't find the appropriate animation for being hit?

Though I have less suspicions that its a Suppresion problem as from what Chris worded his changelog, any bullet that is fired at a target (regardless of whether it hits or misses) counts towards suppression

Edited by Animal Mother

Just had one as well. Had shot at the alien and hit. Shot with an M-16, caused a crash. It was a Sebillian. I'm wondering if it has to do with the suppression system trying to interact with an alien that is just about to be killed.

had a few crashes relating to shooting aliens today. was shooting both sectoid, and the other ones, with m-16 and sniper, the crash seemed to me related to death animation ( it crashed when death anim should occur. on other not, tryong to load savegames made slight before it, crashes game too

First shot against a lizard type with a scoped rifle caused CTD. Tried reloading a save from the same turn and it immediately CTD. Tried reloading save from a few turns before and it immediately CTD. Tried save from outside encounter, another CTD. I know there's a thread for general "can't load" errors, but my first issue was in an encounter after I took a shot. Had fun blowing stuff up with aircraft until then. :)

First shot against a lizard type with a scoped rifle caused CTD. Tried reloading a save from the same turn and it immediately CTD. Tried reloading save from a few turns before and it immediately CTD. Tried save from outside encounter, another CTD. I know there's a thread for general "can't load" errors, but my first issue was in an encounter after I took a shot. Had fun blowing stuff up with aircraft until then. :)
first time i had the ctd when shooting an alien (which happened to be with the precision rifle as well) it also corrupted all the saves from that game. the ones on geo would load fine, but crash after a bit of time has passed, the ones in missions would crash immediately. second time happened with m16, without save corruption.

It has happened to me twice now and both times the game did not display a chance to hit number. When it did the turn before the game did not crash once I hit the alien but the next turn it didn't display a chance to hit (only how much AP required) but when it hit the game crashed.

Back to day 3 of my game, time to save before each encounter I guess :(

I just had my first hit from this bug, it happened when I had a 0% displayed chance to hit from a machinegun, but three bullets looked dead on. The alien became suppressed and hit at the same time and I got a CTD right before the first round impacted.