[V12 - Ground Combat] Shooting alien causes crash to desktop on hit

That's whats been happening. I thought it was just the second alien but I usually find the first one with the ferret with rockets the second one my solders find one shot maybe two tops then CTD. One was suppressed the other was not.

I just successfully shot a missing hit percentage alien without causing a CTD. I have implemented the aforementioned fix, perhaps there is a correlation.

Edit: Nope, another CTD, and once again it corrupted the save...

Edited by Bullshaz

In my last 3 or 4 missions, there has been only a single alien for which I've had either a chance-to-hit percentage or a non-zero percentage. As a result, I've been forced to use explosives to kill all but one of the aliens. Has anyone noticed a way to reduce the occurrence of the missing chance-to-hit indicator?

I had this happen. Using the M16, maxed out the APs. It said I had a 0% chance to hit, but I fired anyway, bullet heads right for the alien, and then the game crashes just before it hits.

This just happened to me.

The exact circumstances - had a max AP soldier equipped with a precision rifle, he had clear LOS to the alien (the humanoid one, not the lizard one). The percentage given was 0%, but I fired anyways. The bullet heads right for the alien, then crashes right before it hits. There was a wire fence between the alien and the soldier, but this has never been a problem in the past.

This is using the Desura standard pre-order version, V.12 I believe.

This is using the Desura standard pre-order version, V.12 I believe.

You just have to mention the version number. There is no premium preorder version. Despite what Desura indicates premium and standard are the same versions, and always will be.

On 3rd mission, first time I used an Autocannon scout vehicle to kill someone, Sebillion was facing in a NE direction and hit from a SE direction, all 5 shots fired but CTD when the third bullet hit him (before any sound/animation was played). Also, there was a wire-fence between us.

Maybe if we all put in bullet points as many unique characteristics we can think of?

Scout Autocannon

Sebillion

Facing NE

Shot from SE

Wire Fence

CTD on hit

What seems to be happening to me is that if I target an alien with a weapon that has no chance to hit (due to being too far away for the weapon type, for instance) then it stops displaying hit chances for all other weapon types and xenonauts as well, in the end causing a CTD. The problem is it doesn't constantly CTD when you hit an alien. Sometimes I can go whole missions killing aliens with no problem, most of them showing no hit chance, sometimes the first shot causes a CTD.

As it stands I can't get past the early game without resorting to explosives only... so I'll probably wait until this particular bug has been resolved before I delve deeper into the world of bug hunting.

I just got this game last night and have experienced about 10-20 crashes in the 10 hours or so I have played. Just then I experienced a crash when I went into a UFO Small back section and shot-gun one of those tough thick skin aliens in the back (forgot name but you know the one) and it crashed to desktop with a exception error message.

Often I find it I go back into game and load up my IN COMBAT MISSION save-game it will be corrupted also. I find I cannot use IRON MAN mode because of all these crashes so that is out of the question.

I have had odd crashes on the Geoscape screen as well but they are less frequent and I have yet to fully pinpoint when it occurs. Also once I went into a combat mission and a alien was near landing (soft alien type) and I believe firing on him caused the crash also however can't remember what weapon did it.

May I suggest a ingame bug tracker be present in FULL GAME mode also, I have yet to try debug mode so unsure if that would yield any results. I think these crashes need to be fixed ASAP, it ruins the game and often I need to start at older savegames due to the corruption issue.

PS. The hit chance with shotgun MAY have been 0% as said above by another player. I was still able to hit the alien, after the hit-sound it was ctd.

I will try a new game with XML fix and see how I go.

Update: Yup just had crash then, was point blank and shot at Alien with MG Tank and it said 0% (but happens when there is no % also, and icon is red) chance to hit however I did hit it, then nanosecond after the death sound plays it ctd! The combat mission save-game is also corrupt.

Update2: So atm game is unplayable, shame. I can't get past this mission due to CTD. Dev on holidays I presume?..

Edited by PRiME

Might as well add in that I got the same problem. And i was doing so well both games. Got a few crashed light scouts raided and plundered. Got some extra cash for that and suddenly zero hit chance in ground combat. 'sigh' a great made harder to play by problems with hitting a target.

i am playing the latest build i was on the farm tileset and was using a precision rifle from the crouch position i had 0% hit chance at about 15 tiles away the alien was standing next to a civilian whe i fired the bullet paused at the alien then i crashed to desk top

Edited by nemisis1984

Yeah, my second fired in 1.12 hit this bug. Not exactly the improvement I was looking forward to. Alien was originally spotted through a window, bullet was fired by another trooper through a chain fence.

Sucks that even grenades trigger it - sounds like there is no workaround?

Edited by erutan

Using V12.1 i got a CTD when shotgunning a lizzard in the drive compartment of a light scout.

This version already has the hotfix applied in the weapons_gc.xml file.

I got a crashdump file, and wanted to attach it to this post, but i get a 404 error when pressing the attachments button... How can i get the crashdump file to you?