Xenonauts-2 Closed Beta Build V19 Released! (Experimental Branch)

Why not introduce the C4 / frag grenade dynamic of X1(CE?) to get around grenade realism?

One is your typical frag grenade that has a fairly large radius of damage, but doesn't impact tougher terrain much. Riflemen will want to have a few to chuck over cover ahead of them for targets they're not confident of hitting.

The second is more of a "bundle of dynamite" similar to the C4 in X1CE - it does more damage in a 9 tile box (with a bonus to terrain) but handwaves the rest of the blast radius away by being a shaped charge.  It'd be heavier, so a shorter range, and accuracy would matter a lot more so you'd want to be closer, which makes for some interesting choices. I could see these being carried more by assault types and shield / pistol (generally ~1/4 to 1/2 of a squad depending on the type of mission)... I found having having dedicated grenadiers with shields very useful in X1 (they'd have pistols obviously, but their clutch moments were from their piles of grenades).

I do find that having frag grenades destory concrete ala xcom neue makes cover more of a consumable than a more traditional tactical consideration - LW1 toned down terrain destruction and made for more interesting gameplay, while still allowing for some opening up of terrain for flanking etc.

22 hours ago, Chris said:

Those are plot-related projects and those plot projects increase your funding significantly when completed, although the game doesn't tell you that yet. Doesn't the Mentarch capture give you the Quantum Decoder though?

Some are increasing funding, but most are still useless. I will follow this in more detail when testing and updating my research tree.

Yes, I got a quantum decoder. If I understand correctly any living alien opens this research?

8 hours ago, MrAlex said:

Some are increasing funding, but most are still useless. I will follow this in more detail when testing and updating my research tree.

Yes, I got a quantum decoder. If I understand correctly any living alien opens this research?

It should only be the Mentarch interrogation that grants access to the quantum decoder. The other interrogations just grant extra funding and a damage bonus (and in a few cases unlock some new tech).

23 hours ago, erutan said:

Why not introduce the C4 / frag grenade dynamic of X1(CE?) to get around grenade realism?

One is your typical frag grenade that has a fairly large radius of damage, but doesn't impact tougher terrain much. Riflemen will want to have a few to chuck over cover ahead of them for targets they're not confident of hitting.

The second is more of a "bundle of dynamite" similar to the C4 in X1CE - it does more damage in a 9 tile box (with a bonus to terrain) but handwaves the rest of the blast radius away by being a shaped charge.  It'd be heavier, so a shorter range, and accuracy would matter a lot more so you'd want to be closer, which makes for some interesting choices. I could see these being carried more by assault types and shield / pistol (generally ~1/4 to 1/2 of a squad depending on the type of mission)... I found having having dedicated grenadiers with shields very useful in X1 (they'd have pistols obviously, but their clutch moments were from their piles of grenades).

I do find that having frag grenades destory concrete ala xcom neue makes cover more of a consumable than a more traditional tactical consideration - LW1 toned down terrain destruction and made for more interesting gameplay, while still allowing for some opening up of terrain for flanking etc.

That's an interesting idea, and one I might end up experimenting with. The counter-argument is actually that I currently find grenades most useful for removing walls rather than removing cover, and it'd be disappointing not to have lots of units with the ability to open up new lines of fire for their squadmates because that's one of the more interesting ways you can interact with the destructible battlefield (and while grenades are spread widely across the squad, C4 probably wouldn't be).

I suppose one solution might be to make walls less tough than cover props, so grenades will reliably destroy walls but not necessarily be able to destroy the cover that a unit is hiding behind.

15 hours ago, Chris said:

The other interrogations just grant extra funding and a damage bonus

According to you, every interrogation should increase funding? 

Given what I've already researched, Psion and sebilian autopsy/interogation don't increase funding.

Do I understand correctly that each autopsy/interogation increases the damage to the aliens of this race?

You need to add some statistics for additional damage to aliens so that it can be seen in the game. When editing a saved game file, I found these options, but it's much better to see it in the game.

Edited by MrAlex

5 hours ago, MrAlex said:

According to you, every interrogation should increase funding? 

Given what I've already researched, Psion and sebilian autopsy/interogation don't increase funding.

Do I understand correctly that each autopsy/interogation increases the damage to the aliens of this race?

You need to add some statistics for additional damage to aliens so that it can be seen in the game. When editing a saved game file, I found these options, but it's much better to see it in the game.

I agree, these damage boosts should be shown to the player to help build a strategy around. It would be a nice, quality-of-life change that would benefit the game. Speaking of which, what is the exact amount of damage increase that these damage boosts give you?

3 hours ago, Kamehamehayes said:

Speaking of which, what is the exact amount of damage increase that these damage boosts give you?

This should be asked of the developers. Visually, it is difficult to notice because the variation of damage is very large. Especially if critical damage occurs. For example, once an alien inflicted 3 times more damage on my soldier than the value of the attack on his weapon.

By the way, I especially liked the new animation, if the damage is much higher than the existing HP