Small suggestion to developers if possible to add to Xeno 2

hello,

I wanted to know if its possible or do you think its a good idea to have the ballistic weapons and armor be based off the area the base is located.

Example

North and South America being American Weapons and Armor

Europe, Australia, Africa being European Weapons and Armor

USSR, IndoChina, MiddleEast being Soviet Weapons and Armor

I think this could really add to the feel that region dictates the basic supply type. Of course later when alien Tech is available all the armor and weapons would be the same, but I doubt during the cold war that the USSR, US or Europe would agree on the above.

The 3 main powers would never work together even on an alien invasion. Only over time would they start to as things got worse. My point was making it different in the beginning and then showing them unit after time fighting the UFO's. it would add immersion. Everyone holding hands at the start is a pipe dream, just look at the UN to see how well that went. lol

The world currently is fuckup sure but do not make this thread into political statements.

For the discussion, It would be good to have weapons from different countries (especially European), but I wonder what difference would they have in game except the look. Also consider that the vanilla ballistic earth weapon would be phased out quickly after new types of weapons being researched midgame and you won't pick them up again, so it do not worth the time for much development.

8 hours ago, EurekaSeven said:

The world currently is fuckup sure but do not make this thread into political statements.

For the discussion, It would be good to have weapons from different countries (especially European), but I wonder what difference would they have in game except the look. Also consider that the vanilla ballistic earth weapon would be phased out quickly after new types of weapons being researched midgame and you won't pick them up again, so it do not worth the time for much development.

I agree, I would prefer the devs to put time and energy into other aspects of the game instead of making new designs for weapons that can be replaced in an hour of playing. However, I guarantee someone would make a mod for this. I remember a pretty popular mod from the original xenonauts where they allow you to use Soviet style weapons, so there is a really high chance a similar mod will come out soon after this game launches (or maybe even before during the open beta or early access). 

• Like 1

Well what about something else, the Base location causing recruitment from that area? So a base in Africa gets more Africans and USSR more Russians? Its kinda pooled as it is now. I know this game was original more micromanaged with ammo costs etc. The changes I suggest are more for immersion that actual function. Also not everyone ditches the Ballistics, In my game I stay with them for a long time to the added challenge, I always felt the change to higher tech happens too fast, In real life you can get tech that fast even for a game.

Eureka, I was not trying to make a political statement, Just a fact that the Nations have not united in much while there is peace, Covid is prime example that nations are looking out for themselves, which is Exactly what would happen in 1979 between the world powers.

Some examples of not researching enough on the game, was weapons, The m-60, 1911A1, AND m-26 Grenade would all be in use at that time. My M9, M247 would not be used till the Mid 80's the MK2 grenade was phased out after Korea. There could have been ballistic upgrades, like Alenium Bullets that make them more effective. Large capacity magazines, and less TU for Burst fire. I feel Ballistic is just a filler, there should be more use of conventional weapons before turning into Startrek.

I think that having different ballistic weapons would be kinda pointless. The difference between 5.56x45 and 5.45x39 isn't that huge and I don't think the difference between the two rounds would justify the time to develop and extra "clutter" in the inventory.

The harder Hit and other things with the Alien-Magnets helps a lot to win the Missions and Airfights, esp. in the Beginning-Phase. If the Ammo get an Upgrade too it would be cool, and with that slow Steps the next Generation "Gauss Weapons" will be then comming step by step.

The Same with Laser Weapons, which need more Research at the beginning. From now it´s to fast to get first Generation Laser-Weapons. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/12/2021 at 11:22 AM, Alienkiller said:

From now it´s to fast to get first Generation Laser-Weapons. 

That is why I very rarely make accelerated ballistic weapons for ground combat. After their rise in price in the latest updates, this now makes even less sense. It's easier to simply avoid additional ground combat before making a laser weapon, which is much more effective. In addition, laser weapons can be easily improved, which allows to skip the manufacture of Gauss weapons and go straight to the plasma later.

Could be done, but then the Game is a clone like the Predecessor.

There I come back to UFO Extraterrestrials and The UFO-After-Row. There you have to use different Waepons.

In UFO ET / upcoming UFO 2 ETfor example are Flying Larva’s which are saved against Poison / Chemical, but only medium against ballistic/ energy and unsave against Fire.

In such an similar way Xenonauts 2 is going.

And that the upcoming Waepons have different Advantages and Disatvantages. Laser for example are better for not good Schooters, ballistic have more Hit-Power, and so on.

Not only the Weapons, the Armors too.

That 2 differences and more the Weapons / Armors will have. 

Sadly the best Games which had done the Difference were the old UFO-After-Row and the UNI-Mod in UFO ET.

1 hour ago, MrAlex said:

That is why I very rarely make accelerated ballistic weapons for ground combat. After their rise in price in the latest updates, this now makes even less sense. It's easier to simply avoid additional ground combat before making a laser weapon, which is much more effective. In addition, laser weapons can be easily improved, which allows to skip the manufacture of Gauss weapons and go straight to the plasma later.

Well i apologise if I'm wrong, as I have no experience on xenonauts 2 midgame to late game (I watched a few of silencer's xen 2 videos, so I have some idea of the earlygame), but I seem to remember Chris talking about certain aliens having resistances to either energy or ballistic based weaponry. If this is the case, shouldn't you be directly punished for specifically focusing on energy or ballistic weapons because certain aliens would be resistant to one or the other?

On 6/4/2021 at 4:09 PM, Kamehamehayes said:

If this is the case, shouldn't you be directly punished for specifically focusing on energy or ballistic weapons because certain aliens would be resistant to one or the other?

I have not encountered problems with protecting aliens from certain types of weapons before, although that would be correct. Maybe in the latest updates it already works, I have not yet reached the energy weapon.

Old X-Com and new XCOM have 2 Problems in it´s thinking from Protection.

1. The Armor [old X-COM]: Every new Armor (like the Personal Armor / Aqua-Plastic-Armor / Fighter Armors) give protection to every attack [Plasma, Sonic and similar, Crab-Attacks, Explosives, Close-Combat Weapons in X-Com TftD]. The Armors in old X-Com are full Armors. You R & D them and give it to an Soldier in X-Com: EU and TftD or an Fighter in X-Com: Interceptor, that was it.

They haven´t thought about Gas-, Fire- and other Attacks then the above announced in X-Com: EU and TftD. The advanced Damage-Things and the Combination-System from the Armor came only in X-Com: Apoc and about 20 Years later in Phoenix Point back [The Inventors from original X-Com EU and Apoc are the same like Phoenix Point].

2. The Armor [new XCOM]: The Armor there is more balanced in all Parts of Damage, Movement, Usability etc. But the Armor there have exactly the similar Problem like in the first 2 Games of the original X-Com. They are full Armors and exactly like in old X-Com you R & D them, give it to an Soldier, that was it. The only difference is that they give Health-Points, which get critizied.

Phoenix Point and X-Com: Apocalypse have an interessting Armor-System for Protection.

1. Armors in both Games get flexible [Head, Legs, Torso] in Combination.

2. They give advantages / disadvantages in an full Setment like the full Armors in the above announced.

3. They give cool Combinations with advantages / disadvantages if they get combined with other Armor Parts. Like more movement, flying abilitys or whatever. I have tried it in both Games and I love it.

4. In Phoenix Point you get (like here in Xenonauts 2 or the new XCOM-Series) the ability to upgrade Protection with more R & D internaly. Therefore the Armor have like an Add-On-System for Head, Legs and Torso. Either you can upgrade your Soldiers with Biological Upgrades or make them Cyborgs [an similar Idea was in XCOM: EW] or you upgarde your Protection with normal Upgrades [like in Xenonauts 2].

UFO ET and the upcomming UFO 2 ET have managed the Problems from the old X-Com and new XCOM-Series. 

1. They have like both Games an full Armor. You R & D them and give it to an Soldier. That haven´t changed in both Games.

2. But the Armor for Soldiers and Vehicles have different advantages / disadvantages against all Parts of damage [Poison, Fire, Shooting, PSI, EM and whatever attacks].

3. The Game in UFO ET don´t give more Protection atm, but for UFO 2 ET DLC´s are more cool Stuff in that ins´t canceld. And the Refit from UFO ET can give more cool Stuff too. In the UNI-Mod are first cool things implemented, which aren´t shown in the R & D Tree there until the new Versions are finished. 

I play UFO ET a fourth time [the Original CD / DVD-Version (1), the Original CD / DVD-Version with B-Man Mod shortly (2), the Gold-Version on Steam (3) and now the Gold-Version on Steam with latest UNI-Mod (4)]. What is cool that B-Man and Grayfiend have upgraded the Game so much, that the Gold-Version 3 Years after the first Devolopment of the Game came out in 2010.

The Ideas from both came in UFO2ET, which come out in the next time. Naturally refited to get in the new Game. All players hope that the about 20 Year old incl. Development UFO ET get an big Refit too, either with the WIP UNI-Mod-Versions togethter with the Devs or only from the UNI-Mod-Crew. It´s like the new XCOM-Row, where both Games make a full Storyline.

What I wanna say with that is, the Protection and Attack-System have to be balanced. One Armor can do that and the other that better / worser. In UFO ET and UFO 2 ET you get an different Versions of Armors, that what I mean.

• 4 weeks later...

Здравствуйте, я из России и у меня есть предложение первоначального транспортера сменить СН-47 "Чинук" на менее вместительный вертолет типа МИ или UH-1 Думаю, это будет логично, потому что происходит искусственное занижение перевозимых солдат, но можно добавить технику. Я думаю, что это не совсем правильно.

И напрасно вы отказываетесь от техники (легкой и тяжелой) все-таки при вторжении, а любое вторжение подразумевает, что любой противник будет использовать тяжелую и легкую техник для войны (мы бросим отбросим массовое био-оружия и оружие по типу атомно-термоядерных бомбардировок). Может быть, как будет время там в DLS можно добавить.

Edited by Евгений
  • Confused 1

Здравствуйте это снова я, увидел в особенностях игры усталость и стресс и вспомнил важную функцию которую нужно ввести в игру, это возможность обьединять солдат в отряды для простой и удобной ротации а то не удобно будет перераспределять солдат. Так же есть предложение уже в самом отряде распределять солдат а маленькие группы по 2-3 человека что бы не ломать голову кто из солдат должен быть с пулеметчиком или бойцом с РПГ, лично мне такой функции не хватает в Xenonauts-1 приходится голову ломать где у меня сидит огнеметчик а где боец с РПГ так как я им даю дополнительное оружие штурмовую винтовку и они визуально ни чем не отличаются от обычных стрелков, у них только в количестве или отсутствия ручных гранат. Спасибо за внимание.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I don't think that the weapons available should be restricted by region.... BUT i think we should get more weapons to choose from. Not just making visual changes but gameplay changes to. For example AK47, AK74, M16. etc all have slightly different characteristics. This would add flavour. I would like to see the weapons mostly used in the major armed forces around the world to get implemented. The selection could incluse pistols, smgs, mgs, mps, sniper rifles (from 9mm, .308 to .50BMG everything pls)

• 1 month later...

I don't have an issue with the weapons all being of the same type. The amount of additions to the game data is pretty large, even for minor differences. I would have gone with the M-14 or the AK line myself, being more accurate for the time line.

Would be nice to have that small machine pistol back, though. Those gave the grenadier, heavy and sniper able to fire over watch with at least a light weapon with better damage than the 1911 they carry now,

After the Modding-Tools are in your artistic Freedom can come out. But the Limit is the Game itself and the Modding-Tool. X1 was easy to Mod, how it looks for X2 we will see.

But one thing is clear. We will get more Ammunition for the existing Weapons [Standard, Advanced-Standard etc.]. The Devs here don´t wanna leave behind the Refited UFO-ET-Series, which have that in already.

Edited by Alienkiller

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/6/2021 at 2:09 AM, Евгений said:

Здравствуйте, я из России и у меня есть предложение первоначального транспортера сменить СН-47 "Чинук" на менее вместительный вертолет типа МИ или UH-1 Думаю, это будет логично, потому что происходит искусственное занижение перевозимых солдат, но можно добавить технику. Я думаю, что это не совсем правильно.

On the contrary, I don't like the small capacity of the amphibious transport at the very beginning of the game.

In the editor, I make the maximum capacity (16). The number of aliens is also increasing.