An accurate release date?

I support you guys, and paid for X1 and X2, but currently, the X2 Beta is unplayable. I really enjoy X2, but it is a bug-ridden nightmare that CTDon a regular basis, but Baldur's Gate 3 Beta has nowhere near as many issues. . It has been quite a while, so can we get any kind of roadmap or release date within 3+/- months?

Just now, Gulskjegg said:

I support you guys, and paid for X1 and X2, but currently, the X2 Beta is unplayable. I really enjoy X2, but it is a bug-ridden nightmare that CTDon a regular basis, but Baldur's Gate 3 Beta has nowhere near as many issues. . It has been quite a while, so can we get any kind of roadmap or release date within 3+/- months?

Well due to covid-19, this past year has been chaotic and things could change drastically in a short time. Unfortunately, Chris has a relative that has contracted a terminal illness so he is taking time to hang out with his family. He doesn't know when the open beta will come out and new versions and hotfixes will come out slower as well. I would guess that the open beta will come out sometime between late April through early June, but as I said it is a very chaotic year and recent events in Chris's personnel life will cause him to work about half as much as he normally would so the dates could change drastically very quickly. 

1 minute ago, Kamehamehayes said:

Well due to covid-19, this past year has been chaotic and things could change drastically in a short time. Unfortunately, Chris has a relative that has contracted a terminal illness so he is taking time to hang out with his family. He doesn't know when the open beta will come out and new versions and hotfixes will come out slower as well. I would guess that the open beta will come out sometime between late April through early June, but as I said it is a very chaotic year and recent events in Chris's personnel life will cause him to work about half as much as he normally would so the dates could change drastically very quickly. 

Well, I guess I will focus my attention on the Rome Total War remaster coming out next month and then Starfield for the holiday season. Hopefully. If and when X2 does have an actual release, I'll try it again.

• 1 month later...

Well I Bought X1 just recently not realizing what a fun game it was, even though I knew X2 was being made. I just go around modding X1 to my tastes, but the forum over there is dead with no responses which is a shame, as new modders like myself could use the help.

I have a problem with adding a new Xeno to replace the Reaper, The Reaper worked but using the same files the Alpha reaper was invisible. I made a post in the other thread but 15 views and not one reply. :-( where is Kabill and the other when we need them!)

• 2 weeks later...

It will be going in full Early Access when the Game is ready for it, not before.

You can see what everything have to be refited, reworked, bugfixed etc. in UFO 2 ET. The Game is after about 10 Years of Development (+ / - 2 Years) ready for action in the next days for the Public (look at Steam).

If a Game Developer make Games correctly in the buildup Phase, with the Alpha-, Beta- and Early Access-Teststers then you have to wait about 8 to 10 Years.

Short said: You get in your Life 6 to 10 very good games (2% to 5%) some are Middlefield (about 40%) and the others are 08/15-Scrap (55% to 58%).

@Alien

13 hours ago, Alienkiller said:

It will be going in full Early Access when the Game is ready for it, not before. 

You can see what everything have to be refited, reworked, bugfixed etc. in UFO 2 ET. The Game is after about 10 Years of Development (+ / - 2 Years) ready for action in the next days for the Public (look at Steam). 

If a Game Developer make Games correctly in the buildup Phase, with the Alpha-, Beta- and Early Access-Teststers then you have to wait about 8 to 10 Years. 

Short said: You get in your Life 6 to 10 very good games (2% to 5%) some are Middlefield (about 40%) and the others are 08/15-Scrap (55% to 58%). 

It's mostly hours that matter not years, except for balancing purposes. Games could take 12 years... if they have just a few devs. UFO2 looks very interesting though. Air combat straight on the geoscape and destructible terrain with mortars is what I've seen so far. Also very weird aliens but I have no idea how they play.

Also I think you like more than 95% of games in the XCOM-like genre. Probably everything except those made by Firaxis and Phoenix Point. Most games are decent if you are the intended audience, it's just most games don't have me or you as the intended audience. (the number of roguelites with metaprogression on Steam is appalling to me for example). Unless you count fan projects, then yeah 99.9% never get past the planning stage and plenty of OpenXCOM mods have way too little content.

Edited by Bobit
  • Like 1

@Bobit

I have a great Portfolio of Games, which I love to play. Mostly they are of the 90s and beginning 2ks.

Good made flightsims, like the Wing Commander and Privateer-Row, Strike Commander, B-17 Flying Fortress Mighty 8 and the Win 10 303 Squadron Battle for Britain, where the first big DLC comes out in the next time, are only some of them.

Natuarly Shooters haven´t to miss in the collection like the full Mafia-Row, Doom-Row (where the new Mars-Gameplay is the coolest), Star Wars and XCOM: The Bureau, Silent Hunter-Row / U-Boat and Mechwarrior / Battletech.

Not to forgett Adventures like Sherlock Holmes-Row, Black Mirror-Row, Baphomets Curse-Row and such.

Like you bet correctly, the most of my Gerne are tactical round as well as realtime Games like Hearts of Iron 4, Empire of Sin, Heagemonia, UFO ET-Row, full old and new X-Com-Row, Civilization-Row, Panzer Corps-Row, Star Craft-Row, Diablo and so on. 

You see I have a big mix. Long time before I had Racing Sims too, but they get very bad or to complex, so I don´t play them anymore.

But back to UFO 2 ET: Yeah, exactly that is going to miss in UFO 1 ET. And much have done in Graphics, Gameplay, R & D, Bases and on your Soldiers, Civilians, Buildings etc.

I have watched a Lets Play-Vid from 2014 where UFO 1 ET Gold-Version get shown and before the new Version of UFO 2 ET. There you see what have done in more then 20 Years in only that Game. Metal Canyon which explain the new Features of UFO 2 ET could do an Q & A with the Devs. If you see then it´s let´s play with the Predecessor you see drastically the Difference. 

If the Storyline (the 2 Games are Storylinelinked togehter, that´s announced official) from UFO ET have to survive, then the Devs have to refit it fully on UFO 2 ET-Standard. Sadly many cool Games can´t be used on Win 10 anymore or with big penaltys (like UFO 1 ET).

One good thing have the Release of UFO 2 ET. There we can see what´s good and what´s not so good and can learn from them for Xenonauts 2.

Edited by Alienkiller
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

You are Welcome.

There is new cool Stuff in, which all others don’t thought about. Combined with Xenonauts 2 new Stuff / already implemented new atm paused one I see an new Generation for that Gerne comes up with Xenonauts 2.

Btw. Have a look on the Refit from Phoenix Point with the 3rd DLC „Festering Skies“.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2021 at 5:12 PM, ooey said:

UFO 2 ET: thanks for the heads up on this one. I didn't know about that.

I have the original game in my Steam library, and just added UFO2 to my wishlist. While I greatly prefer the more "realistic" approach of Xenonauts, UFO2 will be a nice distraction for now. 

• 6 months later...

So, do we have a release date yet? The troops are getting restless. Even I am (and I'm a patient soul). By the looks of the updates you're nearly there it seems.

I suppose we are looking for a time where everything is finished to a certain degree (if unpolished) where the game can be played through to its conclusion. It doesn't have to be perfect.

Edited by ooey

Yeah, the most recent beta build is almost playable enough to get to the last ufo. From what I am seeing, we are probably going to get an open beta by March. Yes, it is literally a year after the original date for the open beta release, but it looks like we are getting there. I am personally pretty excited for this game after seeing some neat things with the new builds. Hopefully I'll get to play this time, fingers crossed. 

In January the Devs will bring out Closed-Beta V.23 (if I have the Version Number correctly in Mind) with already tested and refited Features as well as more Gapfillers (esp. in R & D). If there all goes well and more Gapfillers come for V.24 in Februrary / March then I think after the Closed-Beta there it will be the first Open-Beta-Version (V.24).

But therefore much Water runs down the Rhine, Atlantic etc. Means: Everything can happen and we don´t know how good and much more Important Stable the next Versions are.

Edited by Alienkiller

• 1 month later...

I think I will start playing in Ernest when Chris says it's the complete thing. So far I've tinkered with it all and am yet to come across anything I don't like about xen 2 (but then xen 1 was very very good in the first place). I don't think we can wait another Christmas though, Goldhawk! I think Chris's reputation from his first game has given him plenty of kudos that he and his team WILL deliver. 

Edited by ooey

With such an placement [only if it´s finished] you can wait very long or play half-finished full Price Products from an big and global Company [f. e. Need for Speed-Games] and his added Developers which I don´t wanna name.

The other Alternative, which only get announced from some medium and small Companys [like Goldhawk, Chaos Concept, Paradox] is that you can Test the Game and if you are good could be a Freelancer / Modder. And sometimes you can Found the Game like here for the Xenonauts-Row.

You have this 2 Options. The 3rd Alternative (which seperate in several Parts) won´t meet with your approval.

• 7 months later...

It doesn't hurt for people to ask about this game, you may not get the answer you want or any at all.  I bought the first Xenonauts because of my love for the original Xcom Ufo Defense.  Naturally people want this second game, as do I but it's just sitting on my Wishlist because who knows when it will be in Open Beta.  Bring on Julian Gollop to help.

2 hours ago, ZombeeWhisperer said:

It doesn't hurt for people to ask about this game, you may not get the answer you want or any at all.  I bought the first Xenonauts because of my love for the original Xcom Ufo Defense.  Naturally people want this second game, as do I but it's just sitting on my Wishlist because who knows when it will be in Open Beta.  Bring on Julian Gollop to help.

well, there is good news on that front. There will be a new Xenonauts 2 demo that will be released as part of Tacticon (which starts tomorrow) and early access is planned for February. Open beta may or may not happen sometime in-between.