[V18.2] Capturing Aliens - No point past the first

Currently, there is no point in capturing aliens (aside from selling them) and there is no reason to hunt specific alien types (I have found Non-Combatants, Soldiers, Officers, Engineers, and some others). The game is still in development and the end game has not been worked out at all yet, so is there going to be a point in capturing multiple aliens of a type and hunting specific types?

One thought I had was that interrogating multiple aliens of a specific type could add a diminishing returns boost to research on a specific topic. Engineers could boost research into the captured alien technology, officers/leaders could boost research towards base and aircraft upgrades, etc. 

The first alien should give a large boost, next couple would give roughly 1/3 of the first, then drop sharply until you hit the cap. Something like: (Assuming a 50% boost cap) 1st = 15%, 2nd 3rd and 4th = 5%, 5th to 9th = 2%, next 10 give 1%. This would provide a boost for capturing many aliens and interrogating them, but make you weigh how many you want to actually spend time to earn the boost for.

The time was spent to add several alien types to each race of alien so I assume there is a point to it in mind, just thought I would toss in my 2 cents :)

Yeah Zendrak, the Interrogations are still WIP. Atm we have Placeholders to test the Interrogation-System. If I combine correctly, then special Alien-Equipments can only be researched after interrogations (like UFO Thrusters, UFO Computers, Communications). There are much more what Interrogations can do like Explenations to open Autopsy-Questions as well as what is the Orbital Station, where the Aliens come from etc.

Means: Technicans and similar give free Components like Computers, Thrusters and similar; Soldiers give free Weapons and similar; Commanders questions about the Homeworld, Orbital Station Alien Bases etc. That´s why so many different Alien-Pratitions are there, which gives the Game so much Potential.

Short said: It will be a combination from old X-Com, new XCOM and UFO ET in the Interrogations.

Edited by Alienkiller

• 2 months later...
On 3/25/2021 at 5:36 PM, Zendrak said:

Currently, there is no point in capturing aliens (aside from selling them) and there is no reason to hunt specific alien types (I have found Non-Combatants, Soldiers, Officers, Engineers, and some others). The game is still in development and the end game has not been worked out at all yet, so is there going to be a point in capturing multiple aliens of a type and hunting specific types?

One thought I had was that interrogating multiple aliens of a specific type could add a diminishing returns boost to research on a specific topic. Engineers could boost research into the captured alien technology, officers/leaders could boost research towards base and aircraft upgrades, etc. 

The first alien should give a large boost, next couple would give roughly 1/3 of the first, then drop sharply until you hit the cap. Something like: (Assuming a 50% boost cap) 1st = 15%, 2nd 3rd and 4th = 5%, 5th to 9th = 2%, next 10 give 1%. This would provide a boost for capturing many aliens and interrogating them, but make you weigh how many you want to actually spend time to earn the boost for.

The time was spent to add several alien types to each race of alien so I assume there is a point to it in mind, just thought I would toss in my 2 cents :)

One of the xcom mods did that. Capture a medic, get 5% bonus heal and then 1% until max 20 or something like that. Capture engineer get 5% armor for crafts etc. This is a good idea and mechanic to get implemented-copied