R & D Use in Xenonauts 2

Is anyone else using the "Disarm Defense" to thwart Mind Control?

MrAlex:

Honestly, I think that everything in the game should be researched and made by the player, and nothing should be done by itself.

Research of corpses, UFO constructions.

Manufacture of weapons / ammunition, canons / plates of vehicles and fighters and other equipment that we have for some reason endless. If engineers make only prototypes, where do other weapons come from?
Time and cost can be balanced to make it easier for players to get used to. 

Kamehamehayes:

yeah I agree that the engineers should develop a suitable design before you unlock things in unlimited quantities (stun weapons included).

It's nice that they engineers have a lot to do in Xenonauts 2. In the first Xenonauts they kinda just sat on their butt half the campaign since there wasn't that much for them to do after periodically upgrading your gear and the head scientist already creates all of the designs for them, which is supposed to be part of the engineers' job. The amount of work they have to do is a nice problem to have.

Also you seem to have posted the same message twice minus the first sentence. Were you trying to edit your post and made a new one instead? 

That is the beginning for the new Discussion here. What do the other Guys think, after the Facts get presented, what have done to the first Tests as well as an big Refit from Xenonauts 1.

Fact 1: Standard-Weapons and Materials (like the Rifles, Pistols, Grenades, Stun Weapons, Steel-Plating etc. which already exists on Earth and is in Raw Mass availible as well as used from the Founders Military, Police etc. too have to be free like in Xenonauts 1). That´s a Present from the Devs for us. Means don´t look a gift horse in the Mouth.

You can make them buyable like in the original X-Com and UFO ET as well as some other Fan-Projects, but that would be to much. The original X-Com had then lesser Production things for that, because the most Parts you get from the Aliens then already Useable or Scraped / Shaped for direct use. In UFO ET and all other Fan-Projects you can´t produce everything you need in Time. There the Devs made a big Present instead, they make all Weapons for Humans useable without an overwork. :confused: 

Fact 2: From beginning on you have to Produce your Transports, Figher-Crafts and MARS-Vehicles from 0 on. The 2 Aircrafts (X-25 and X-2 Skyhawk) are already researched from your Scientists and produced from your Technicans. That´s the first difference to Xenonauts 1 and all prevous Games of that Gerne, where you could buy them (mostly they get deliverd in 24 to 48 Hours) or get like in Xenonauts build up very fast in your Hangar from the Aircraft-Company.

Fact 3a: The first upgradeable Standard-Weapons (Accelerated Weapons with LMG, Rifle, Shotgun, Sniper-Rifle, Pistols) incl. the first Protector Vests are comming early enough with R & D in Xenonauts 2. That will be in the first Months the one and only Options for your Soldiers for the Early Access and Final Game if all goes well.

Fact 3b: The upgradeable Standard-Armor (Combat Armor) was changed from an existing Armor-Upgrade (Combat-Armor) to buildable-Variants (Warden Combat Armor). There an Upgrade for the already produced existing Combat-Armors have to come back. Otherwise you loose to much time.

Fact 3c: The upgradeable Fighter-Canon have to be like it is. It´s getting used from your Founder states too and is only an light Upgrade to the existing Rotation-Fighter-Cannons. For the new R & D Canons like Laser, MAG and Plasma I have an Idea for making them interessting.

Fact 3c: The upgradeable Fighter- and MARS-Armor (Alloy-Armor) have to be like it is too. It´s getting used from your Founder states too and is only an light Upgrade to the existing Steel-Plating-Armor. There could be more with the new Plating-Options to make the use more interesting.

All 4 Parts of that Fact have to be Founders-Availible too after 30 Days like it´s done with the other important R & D Objects. Therefore the doable Upgrades from Steel to Alloy-Plating and from Standard to Accelerated-Weapons have to be shortet too in your Organisation first. As well as the Materials for the new Protection Vest. Here is the Plan for it and all other later Projects.

Idea for that: My Idea to make this more Interessting is that your R & D-Part make an Prototype which have to be testet in the Fight. After that the Development-Crew (Technicans) and Research-Crew (Scientists) overwork the Plans and you can in short time make the Upgrades for your Existing Weapons. Such an Option I get missing in all other Games of that Gerne, only the new XCOM 2 implemented that Option. The upgraded Standard-Weapons will get the new Standard-Weaponary and Armor for the Human Military, Police and other Protectors then.

An other positive Effect is that if the Panic Level rises to high it give an automatic Panic-Lockdown at level 70 or so to level 30 in the effected Country at once.

Fact 4: In addition you have to make everything usable you find from the Aliens (everything from the UFO´s, Alien-Bases, Alien-Handheld-Things etc.) you find to use them later. I like that Option, because it gives a feeling like old X-COM, UFO Extraterestials and much more in the not so long upcomming UFO Extraterestials 2 as well as other Fan-Projects.

Idea for that: Therfore your Outposts could be used to Storage bigger things (like UFOs for R & D), which means you automatically get the first Outpost with your Starting Base. All Outposts you can upgrade too for more Space and whatever up to 3 or 4 Times. The smaller things get in the Storage in your Base / Bases like now.

Fact 5: Some lost Property from the Aliens (like the Accelerated Weapons and Raid-/ Terror-Mission Anti-Mater-Beams) get fragmentet automatically in Magnets and other Parts. That´s a Point I don´t like too.

Idea for that: The Devs have already an Input since the 2021-Beginning or in the last 5 Months from 2020 to that and are thinking about it. It´s an Idea from me which comes from playing UFO: AI longer time ago. Chris played this Fanproject too and have interesst to bring that in. And it solve many Problems the Devs have with the Mission-Completet-Effects, esp. in UFO-Crashsites, enemy Base-Destructions and whatever before they implement the Special Missions.

That´s why MrAlex and I bring in the Idea with upgradable Outposts. There the UFOs get researched and seperated in Parts. In UFO: AI you R & D it in seperate Hangars and in UFO ET the UFO Research is a very long Process.

In the first Outpost / Outposts (so the Idea) can the Scientists and / or Technicans make an R & D for the UFOs (incl. the not Missionable ones after an Airfight) and other bigger things which are transpotable. You don´t need to switch the R & D Personal between Base / Bases and Outposts.

Fact 6: Not everything have to be produceable like some of you whish. Therefore an easy Upgrade-System like in XCOM2 would be perfect. The new Accelerated-Standard-Weapons can then be upgraded in the MAG-Weapons to save Money, Materials, Personal and esp. Time. The same Effect like the Laser-Weapons from Mk I to Mk II-Version.

Fact 7: The Devs have integrated a cool System which you can use R & D-Personal in the Bases. It´s not show up yet fully, but that Idea to use Personal in other Parts of the Base / Bases to make things faster and more effecive (like Generators, Hangars, Radar, Outposts) are a cool thing. Thats an effective System for XCOM2 and I can bet Phoenix Point as well as UFO2ET are using that Idea more effective.

Fact 8: In XCOM 2 Fact 7 works perfect. But thats not all. Scientists and Engeneers-Personal are going on Missions there sometimes. Not very often, but very effective. Examples is helping in Training, Upgrade or Repair somthing and whatever they can do in Missions.

Idea for that: Make that System effective in Xenonauts 2 to make the Geoscape, Base-Management and Missions more interessting.

Like I said it´s long and contains everything I find good and effective as well as bad and uneffective from all Games of that Gerne.

Edited by Alienkiller

4 hours ago, Alienkiller said:

Is anyone else using the "Disarm Defense" to thwart Mind Control?

MrAlex:

Honestly, I think that everything in the game should be researched and made by the player, and nothing should be done by itself.

Research of corpses, UFO constructions.

Manufacture of weapons / ammunition, canons / plates of vehicles and fighters and other equipment that we have for some reason endless. If engineers make only prototypes, where do other weapons come from?
Time and cost can be balanced to make it easier for players to get used to. 

Kamehamehayes:

yeah I agree that the engineers should develop a suitable design before you unlock things in unlimited quantities (stun weapons included).

It's nice that they engineers have a lot to do in Xenonauts 2. In the first Xenonauts they kinda just sat on their butt half the campaign since there wasn't that much for them to do after periodically upgrading your gear and the head scientist already creates all of the designs for them, which is supposed to be part of the engineers' job. The amount of work they have to do is a nice problem to have.

Also you seem to have posted the same message twice minus the first sentence. Were you trying to edit your post and made a new one instead? 

That is the beginning for the new Discussion here. What do the other Guys think, after the Facts get presented, what have done to the first Tests as well as an big Refit from Xenonauts 1.

Fact 1: Standard-Weapons and Materials (like the Rifles, Pistols, Grenades, Stun Weapons, Steel-Plating etc. which already exists on Earth and is in Raw Mass availible as well as used from the Founders Military, Police etc. too have to be free like in Xenonauts 1). That´s a Present from the Devs for us. Means don´t look a gift horse in the Mouth.

You can make them buyable like in the original X-Com and UFO ET as well as some other Fan-Projects, but that would be to much. The original X-Com had then lesser Production things for that, because the most Parts you get from the Aliens then already Useable or Scraped / Shaped for direct use. In UFO ET and all other Fan-Projects you can´t produce everything you need in Time. There the Devs made a big Present instead, they make all Weapons for Humans useable without an overwork. :confused: 

Fact 2: From beginning on you have to Produce your Transports, Figher-Crafts and MARS-Vehicles from 0 on. The 2 Aircrafts (X-25 and X-2 Skyhawk) are already researched from your Scientists and produced from your Technicans. That´s the first difference to Xenonauts 1 and all prevous Games of that Gerne, where you could buy them (mostly they get deliverd in 24 to 48 Hours) or get like in Xenonauts build up very fast in your Hangar from the Aircraft-Company.

Fact 3a: The first upgradeable Standard-Weapons (Accelerated Weapons with LMG, Rifle, Shotgun, Sniper-Rifle, Pistols) incl. the first Protector Vests are comming early enough with R & D in Xenonauts 2. That will be in the first Months the one and only Options for your Soldiers for the Early Access and Final Game if all goes well.

Fact 3b: The upgradeable Standard-Armor (Combat Armor) was changed from an existing Armor-Upgrade (Combat-Armor) to buildable-Variants (Warden Combat Armor). There an Upgrade for the already produced existing Combat-Armors have to come back. Otherwise you loose to much time.

Fact 3c: The upgradeable Fighter-Canon have to be like it is. It´s getting used from your Founder states too and is only an light Upgrade to the existing Rotation-Fighter-Cannons. For the new R & D Canons like Laser, MAG and Plasma I have an Idea for making them interessting.

Fact 3c: The upgradeable Fighter- and MARS-Armor (Alloy-Armor) have to be like it is too. It´s getting used from your Founder states too and is only an light Upgrade to the existing Steel-Plating-Armor. There could be more with the new Plating-Options to make the use more interesting.

All 4 Parts of that Fact have to be Founders-Availible too after 30 Days like it´s done with the other important R & D Objects. Therefore the doable Upgrades from Steel to Alloy-Plating and from Standard to Accelerated-Weapons have to be shortet too in your Organisation first. As well as the Materials for the new Protection Vest. Here is the Plan for it and all other later Projects.

Idea for that: My Idea to make this more Interessting is that your R & D-Part make an Prototype which have to be testet in the Fight. After that the Development-Crew (Technicans) and Research-Crew (Scientists) overwork the Plans and you can in short time make the Upgrades for your Existing Weapons. Such an Option I get missing in all other Games of that Gerne, only the new XCOM 2 implemented that Option. The upgraded Standard-Weapons will get the new Standard-Weaponary and Armor for the Human Military, Police and other Protectors then.

An other positive Effect is that if the Panic Level rises to high it give an automatic Panic-Lockdown at level 70 or so to level 30 in the effected Country at once.

Fact 4: In addition you have to make everything usable you find from the Aliens (everything from the UFO´s, Alien-Bases, Alien-Handheld-Things etc.) you find to use them later. I like that Option, because it gives a feeling like old X-COM, UFO Extraterestials and much more in the not so long upcomming UFO Extraterestials 2 as well as other Fan-Projects.

Idea for that: Therfore your Outposts could be used to Storage bigger things (like UFOs for R & D), which means you automatically get the first Outpost with your Starting Base. All Outposts you can upgrade too for more Space and whatever up to 3 or 4 Times. The smaller things get in the Storage in your Base / Bases like now.

Fact 5: Some lost Property from the Aliens (like the Accelerated Weapons and Raid-/ Terror-Mission Anti-Mater-Beams) get fragmentet automatically in Magnets and other Parts. That´s a Point I don´t like too.

Idea for that: The Devs have already an Input since the 2021-Beginning or in the last 5 Months from 2020 to that and are thinking about it. It´s an Idea from me which comes from playing UFO: AI longer time ago. Chris played this Fanproject too and have interesst to bring that in. And it solve many Problems the Devs have with the Mission-Completet-Effects, esp. in UFO-Crashsites, enemy Base-Destructions and whatever before they implement the Special Missions.

That´s why MrAlex and I bring in the Idea with upgradable Outposts. There the UFOs get researched and seperated in Parts. In UFO: AI you R & D it in seperate Hangars and in UFO ET the UFO Research is a very long Process.

In the first Outpost / Outposts (so the Idea) can the Scientists and / or Technicans make an R & D for the UFOs (incl. the not Missionable ones after an Airfight) and other bigger things which are transpotable. You don´t need to switch the R & D Personal between Base / Bases and Outposts.

Fact 6: Not everything have to be produceable like some of you whish. Therefore an easy Upgrade-System like in XCOM2 would be perfect. The new Accelerated-Standard-Weapons can then be upgraded in the MAG-Weapons to save Money, Materials, Personal and esp. Time. The same Effect like the Laser-Weapons from Mk I to Mk II-Version.

Fact 7: The Devs have integrated a cool System which you can use R & D-Personal in the Bases. It´s not show up yet fully, but that Idea to use Personal in other Parts of the Base / Bases to make things faster and more effecive (like Generators, Hangars, Radar, Outposts) are a cool thing. Thats an effective System for XCOM2 and I can bet Phoenix Point as well as UFO2ET are using that Idea more effective.

Fact 8: In XCOM 2 Fact 7 works perfect. But thats not all. Scientists and Engeneers-Personal are going on Missions there sometimes. Not very often, but very effective. Examples is helping in Training, Upgrade or Repair somthing and whatever they can do in Missions.

Idea for that: Make that System effective in Xenonauts 2 to make the Geoscape, Base-Management and Missions more interessting.

Like I said it´s long and contains everything I find good and effective as well as bad and uneffective from all Games of that Gerne.

The standard weapons, steel plating, and other stuff that you get in the beginning of the game should be available in unlimited quantities without the use of a research project or for the engineers to design them since their technology and final designs were already there before the invasion began.

Stuff you research afterwards (like stun weapons, upgrades explosives, etc) should be unlocked in unlimited quantities after the engineers make a suitable design for them as the scientists, while very intelligent, only come up with prototypes that aren't as effective as they could be, so it would be up to the engineers to come up with the most effective final designs. This system would happen faster for stun weapons, which are made up of materials and technology already found on earth, than it would for alienium explosives and alien-alloy plating, which are technologies that were not already on earth before the invasion began. 

I don't think this system would be necessary for things that come in limited quantities since that should just be part of the manufacturing process so it would be unnecessary. 

It would also be nice if this was directly put into the lore of the game, which would make the engineers seem much more important than they did before. 

Your idea of outposts seem really interesting, and the idea of slow upgrading base parts seems really cool to me too. I don't have that many ideas on how to improve these ideas since I haven't actually played the game yet (I've only seen the first couple of hours since I don't want to be super spoiled for the coming open beta).

Since this question seems to bee in line with this thread, how is the manufacturing economy in this game? Can you manufacture stuff purely to sell for profit or can you not to it in this game either. 

Money you get in 4 Ways:

1. The Monthly Report with either Raising or Lowering (that belongs on the Panic Status of the Founding Countrys: Africa, Europe, North- and South-America, Russia and Asia) and how many Outposts for Money-Upgrades you have (the Outposts have to be secured like bellow announced).

2. You don´t make a Mission to salvage UFOs (that get Money income, therfore all Materials for Salvage from the UFO and Aliens are going to the Founder-Country)

3. You choose the Money-Raid (but the Rewards of Engeeners or Scientists are very important too) when they plopp up

4. Sell from Storage (but that isn´t adviseable about the need from the Materials for Upgrades, Buildup etc.)

Scientists and Engeneers you get in 2 Ways atm monthly:

1. From Outposts (they have to be secured with a Base against Alien-Air-Attacks; seems atm deactivated for refit / upgrade or whatever)

2. From Alien-Raid-Missions as Reward (belongs what Mission you can do; at the beginning mostly 1, if you get lucky 2 are doable)

New Materials you get only from the Aliens:

1. from downed UFOs

2. from Alien-Bases (which comes later)

3. from Alien-Raids and Terror Missions

More Economy-Parts for Everything are in discussion as you see. Some get in already like Scientists and Engeneers which don´t cost Money anymore. Therefore you have to invest Money for the Outposts from beginning on in the Outposts and new is the Reward for Alien-Raid Missions (like in the Mission Choose from XCOM 2). But that all isn´t in set in stone yet before it goes in the Early Access Phase. And 2 more things are in WIP:

- Special Missions with different Rewards (announced in Kickstarter and here in the Forum)

- Changes from Mission-Endings with Rewards (esp. UFOs and Enemy Bases for R & D) = an Idea which get mentioned. Chris like it, because it will solve many Problems the Devs have. Maybe we see it in the next Beta-Versions.

21 hours ago, Alienkiller said:

You can make them buyable like in the original X-Com and UFO ET as well as some other Fan-Projects, but that would be to much. The original X-Com had then lesser Production things for that, because the most Parts you get from the Aliens then already Useable or Scraped / Shaped for direct use. In UFO ET and all other Fan-Projects you can´t produce everything you need in Time. There the Devs made a big Present instead, they make all Weapons for Humans useable without an overwork.

The basis of the idea is that nothing is infinite.
Basic human technology can be free (weapons, ammunition, etc.). This can be explained by the fact that our organization is sponsored by military organizations from all over the world, but not endless. Each item a player has to buy, and it takes up space in warehouses, and can be bought and sold. This is micromanagement.

And everything that is studied from alien technologies must be made by the player himself, in the quantities he needs.

From beginning on you have to Produce your Transports, Figher-Crafts and MARS-Vehicles from 0 on. The 2 Aircrafts (X-25 and X-2 Skyhawk) are already researched from your Scientists and produced from your Technicans.

Building the first base, the player receives a minimum set of everything he needs, as it was in the original X-com. Everything else he has to buy. Such as ammunition for soldiers and fighters. As I said, human technology can be free (at low levels of difficulty to make it easier for beginners to get used to game management). But nothing should be infinite, and the player must watch everything himself. Again, for beginners, it can come up with tips, for example: a message about the low stock of ammunition in warehouses.

Fact 3a: The first upgradeable Standard-Weapons (Accelerated Weapons with LMG, Rifle, Shotgun, Sniper-Rifle, Pistols) incl. the first Protector Vests are comming early enough with R & D in Xenonauts 2.

This technology is actually an improvement on human weapons. I think it should be a transitional stage for studying player management. This means that the player will have to make their own weapons using this technology. But ammunition for it will be standard, and they can be bought (instead of made). It will work for soldiers vehicles and fighters. And in the future the player will need to make weapons and ammunition for it separately. Manufacturing time and cost can be balanced so that it will not be difficult.

Idea for that: My Idea to make this more Interessting is that your R & D-Part make an Prototype which have to be testet in the Fight. After that the Development-Crew (Technicans) and Research-Crew (Scientists) overwork the Plans and you can in short time make the Upgrades for your Existing Weapons. Such an Option I get missing in all other Games of that Gerne

There is nothing strange in this. This idea takes a lot of developer time, and does not bring any significant benefits.

Fact 4 is quite correct. The basis of micromanagement is that every found item a player can use. Not directly (the soldier will not be able to pick up and use the alien's weapon). But for research and sale. This is almost done, except that the player can not study the weapon and ammunition for it separately. I believe in order to study technology a player needs to research weapons and ammunition separately to understand the principles of how it works.

The idea of researching UFOs in individual hangars may be interesting, but I think it will be too difficult for developers to implement it and it may take a long time.

I'm more focused on ideas that aren't difficult to implement relatively quickly without spending a lot of time on it.

My idea of rebalancing outposts does not fundamentally change anything, it just makes them easier to use, and should not take much time for developers.
As I said above, your idea is interesting, but difficult enough to implement.

Fact 6: Not everything have to be produceable like some of you whish. Therefore an easy Upgrade-System like in XCOM2 would be perfect. The new Accelerated-Standard-Weapons can then be upgraded in the MAG-Weapons to save Money, Materials, Personal and esp. Time.

However, I am convinced that all alien technologies must be manufactured separately. But it would be logical to make a simple upgrade from a standart basic weapon to an accelerated one (Manufacture of weapons only with the possibility of using standard ammunition for it. As an intermediate stage in the upgrade from human to UFO technology)

Edited by MrAlex

The implementation with buying Ammonation and Weapons we can bring in, but therefore the buying of Bases get cut and the Agent-Idea to find new Base-Sites have to come in. And the Magazines don´t get changed with full ones, only if the are after a Mission on 0, otherwise they will be used until they are empty. Means Ammo don´t get chuck.

1 hour ago, MrAlex said:

The basis of the idea is that nothing is infinite.
Basic human technology can be free (weapons, ammunition, etc.). This can be explained by the fact that our organization is sponsored by military organizations from all over the world, but not endless. Each item a player has to buy, and it takes up space in warehouses, and can be bought and sold. This is micromanagement.

And everything that is studied from alien technologies must be made by the player himself, in the quantities he needs.

Building the first base, the player receives a minimum set of everything he needs, as it was in the original X-com. Everything else he has to buy. Such as ammunition for soldiers and fighters. As I said, human technology can be free (at low levels of difficulty to make it easier for beginners to get used to game management). But nothing should be infinite, and the player must watch everything himself. Again, for beginners, it can come up with tips, for example: a message about the low stock of ammunition in warehouses.

This technology is actually an improvement on human weapons. I think it should be a transitional stage for studying player management. This means that the player will have to make their own weapons using this technology. But ammunition for it will be standard, and they can be bought (instead of made). It will work for soldiers vehicles and fighters. And in the future the player will need to make weapons and ammunition for it separately. Manufacturing time and cost can be balanced so that it will not be difficult.

There is nothing strange in this. This idea takes a lot of developer time, and does not bring any significant benefits.

Fact 4 is quite correct. The basis of micromanagement is that every found item a player can use. Not directly (the soldier will not be able to pick up and use the alien's weapon). But for research and sale. This is almost done, except that the player can not study the weapon and ammunition for it separately. I believe in order to study technology a player needs to research weapons and ammunition separately to understand the principles of how it works.

The idea of researching UFOs in individual hangars may be interesting, but I think it will be too difficult for developers to implement it and it may take a long time.

I'm more focused on ideas that aren't difficult to implement relatively quickly without spending a lot of time on it.

My idea of rebalancing outposts does not fundamentally change anything, it just makes them easier to use, and should not take much time for developers.
As I said above, your idea is interesting, but difficult enough to implement.

However, I am convinced that all alien technologies must be manufactured separately. But it would be logical to make a simple upgrade from a standart basic weapon to an accelerated one (Manufacture of weapons only with the possibility of using standard ammunition for it. As an intermediate stage in the upgrade from human to UFO technology)

I don't think it is necessary for everything to be in limited quantities; I just think that everything that come in unlimited quantities should be designed by the engineers first before they are available. The technologies at the beginning of the game I think should still be in unlimited quantities; they are pretty common in all militaries across the world (which are directly funding/suppling the xenonauts) so I see no reason to have to buy them. Ammo for weapons should be in unlimited quantities since it is just a nice quality of life addition, I do agree that anything that requires alien materials to build should not be in unlimited quantities (excluding certain things like explosives, since low-grade alienium is extremely common in almost all ufos) and have to be built by the player. 

Speaking of upgrading weapons. On the battlefield, is there a reason to have ballistic/accelerated weapons over laser weapons? Do certain aliens have more thermal protection than kinetic protection making it worth it to use a ballistic/accelerated weapons over lasers in some scenarios? 

3 hours ago, Alienkiller said:

The implementation with buying Ammonation and Weapons we can bring in, but therefore the buying of Bases get cut and the Agent-Idea to find new Base-Sites have to come in. And the Magazines don´t get changed with full ones, only if the are after a Mission on 0, otherwise they will be used until they are empty. Means Ammo don´t get chuck.

I prefer the idea of building a base where I want, without the use of agents.

Ammo clips will work the same as now, just they will need to be additionally manufactured / purchased for storage.
We don't need to complicate and count each bullet. Just consider the ammunition used if all bullets in it was used. Otherwise, it will be replenished and all. Energy cells can be recharged at the base, so they can be used many times on different missions.

3 hours ago, Kamehamehayes said:

The technologies at the beginning of the game I think should still be in unlimited quantities; they are pretty common in all militaries across the world (which are directly funding/suppling the xenonauts) so I see no reason to have to buy them

The idea is that there is nothing infinite in reality.
In order for ammunition to be stored, they must at least be ordered from the military. They can supply them for free, but it don't have to be endless. Although it is better for the player to buy standard ammunition, we can just increase funding for this.

We will see who the Devs decides.

But one Thing is defeneatly clear: If that comes we have to make all other things (especially the Alien-Weapons and other important Things like Bases without  the Ground-Buying) useable for Humanity without Discussion. As well as that begunn Magazines (Ammo) can´t refited while in Base, it have to be Ended like it is. Otherwise the expensive Ammo is lost.

Examples for buying or Producing Ammo, Weapons, etc. and using Alien-Weapons without the above explained Penalty are: X-COM-Row (old), UFO ET and the in short upcoming UFO2ET and all other Fan-Projects. An Mod for UFO ET try to make the Ammo not changeable until it´s done.

Only 1 Game-Row handeld the Ammo-Use correctly without waste: The UFO-After-Series!

The Devs from Goldhawk wanna go an other way to make an cooler Process for that Use of the Materials. They are doing the Way the new XCOM-Row is going, which is an cool thing. You can´t use the Alien-Weapons and Ammo in normal Combat. But if you can gathering it as Booty for later Times, then good R & D Projects were makeable.

Edited by Alienkiller