Load times

I am not curtain if this is because we are still in development, but the load times for this game, are I think just a little too long, and that could put a lot of player off.

Could I ask other contributors to these pages, what they think is a reasonable time, to wait for a screen to load, and continue with the game???

All Strategy-Games which switches from Globe to Mission and Return have loading times. The Devs redruced them drastically in the last 2 big Beta-Versions. Instead of 5 Minutes waiting we have 30 Seconds to a Minute or so.

That´s fully OK, other Games have longer loading Times in our pemperd World. That has to do with to 99 % Graphics and the other 1 % are everything else. That makes the Loading-Times like in the 80s where you had an C64, where the Technics aren´t so good.

Or you do it like Wing Commander 1 as well as 2 and the old X-Com Row with 320x180 bzw. 640x480 Graphics and 10 Second-Loading time.

Time to load is not a big problem if they correct its status. Often the loading progress reaches 99% in 20 seconds, then after 10 seconds it is equal to 100%, then after 5-10 seconds again 99% and only after another 10-30 seconds the game loads. Personally, I stopped looking at percentages and started focusing on music. If the music has changed, then there are no more than 5-10 seconds left before loading.

Exactly MrAlex, I do the same, but the Loading will be faster again after the remaining Problems get solved step by step. We all can be lucky that the big Problems from the Beta 14 or 15 with the 5 to 6 Minuts Loading get down to about 1 Minute again (like it was in all Betas from beginning on).

Yeah, the load times in the game are very long at the moment on the Experimental branches. A lot of this is because the game is running in "development" mode which is a special Unity mode with lots of extra logging that helps us identify and fix bugs much more easily. The final release (and any builds on the standard branch) are made in "release" mode which doesn't have this feature and the load times are faster there.

We are planning to optimise load times and performance in general once the game is in Early Access though.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hello,

I understand that the loading times are fairly long right now because of the debug mode. And while I do not have the opportunity to test it in "normal" mode to see how the load times would be, I just wanted to indicate that for me (and I guess for other players), long loading times are really spoiling the fun.

I do hope that in deed the loading time in normal mode are going way faster, I just wanted to post that here to encourage the devs to spend time on optimizing those loading times.

Otherwise, the game is great, it's just that I cannot wait that long on a loading screen in order to get back into the action !

Thank you

You are a Beta-Tester, and that´s a big Privilege. Esp. smaller Companys like Goldhawk, Chaos Concept or the one which make the Game U-Boat have Founders, which are Betatesters or have Root-Betatesters.

In Betatests, where the Game is in full WIP such Things like longer Loading Times are fully normal.

If you don´t wanna have it, wait about 2 more Years for the Early Access or Full Release.

On 9/29/2021 at 4:12 AM, Alienkiller said:

You are a Beta-Tester, and that´s a big Privilege. Esp. smaller Companys like Goldhawk, Chaos Concept or the one which make the Game U-Boat have Founders, which are Betatesters or have Root-Betatesters.

In Betatests, where the Game is in full WIP such Things like longer Loading Times are fully normal.

If you don´t wanna have it, wait about 2 more Years for the Early Access or Full Release.

Sorry if you misinterpreted my message as a rant, but it was not one.

I am aware that this is a beta and it is expected to be not optimized.

I just wanted to bring to the attention that loading time in this game are important as long loading time would break the flow and fun of the game. So I hope they get a lot of optimization for release (10x improvement or better).