Teams/platoon creation

MrAlex

It would be convenient to add the ability to create a group of soldiers (a platoon, as in the army). So that with a few clicks we could replace the whole team on dropship.
For example, if a team returns from a task and they have more than 50% stress, the player needs to replace it all. If it consists of 16 soldiers the player must make 32 clicks to send this team to rest and another 32 clicks to load a new team (64 clicks).
In the suggested idea, the player will be able to send a whole team/platoon to the barracks with one click, and load another platoon into the transport with another click. This option can be added for transport.

This is what it might look like

Team 1.jpg

Valkyrie.jpg

• Like 3

It should have been done a long time ago.

If you add a script that automatically replaces the platoon on combat duty (ship), namely: 8 hours of duty of platoon A. Then 8 hours of duty of platoon B. Then platoon C is on duty for 8 hours. Then the soldiers will rest from stress in automatic mode.

If you create specialized missions in the game that require a fundamentally different set of tactical equipment; if you tell the player in advance (from the very beginning of the game) which alien race the UFO belongs to, then each platoon can specialize in different tactical tasks and different aliens.

6 hours ago, MrAlex said:

It would be convenient to add the ability to create a group of soldiers (a platoon, as in the army). So that with a few clicks we could replace the whole team on dropship.
For example, if a team returns from a task and they have more than 50% stress, the player needs to replace it all. If it consists of 16 soldiers the player must make 32 clicks to send this team to rest and another 32 clicks to load a new team (64 clicks).
In the suggested idea, the player will be able to send a whole team/platoon to the barracks with one click, and load another platoon into the transport with another click. This option can be added for transport.

This is what it might look like

Team 1.jpg

Valkyrie.jpg

I do really like the soldier stress idea, it helps promote different playstyles since "grinding" every ufo you shoot down isn't the best option anymore. Now you can either use only one team to do a somewhat small amount of missions, or you can put in extra resources to have more soldiers to make another team to take down crash sites so you can potentially have a bigger payoff of alien materials which creates a high investment - high payoff synergy which I really like the sound of. 

This idea would solve the main gripe I would have with this idea, the fact that you have to take time to replace everyone in the dropship in order to do it. Now with a couple of clicks you can replace the entire team which gets rid of tediously replacing everyone on the ship. 

I do hope this idea gets implemented into the final game.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Alienkiller said:

I don´t like the Team-Buildup Opinon as an only Option. But as an additional Option it´s nice.

The idea is not to create many teams. The idea is to create tactically specialized tactical groups and introduce into the game such a resource as the team's combat capability. Thanks to massive alien raids (dozens of battles throughout the day), they will be able to win a strategic victory over the player due to the wrong organization of the armed forces (by the player himself).

On 2/26/2021 at 9:18 PM, Komandos said:

The idea is to create tactically specialized tactical groups

The idea is to simplify team changes so that the player does not make a boring 64 clicks before each mission.

On 2/26/2021 at 8:40 PM, Alienkiller said:

I don´t like the Team-Buildup Opinon as an only Option. But as an additional Option it´s nice.

Given that some players may like the existing system (64 clicks before each mission), I did not replace the ship selection interface with the team selection, but created it separately (see screenshot)

11 hours ago, MrAlex said:

The idea is to simplify team changes so that the player does not make a boring 64 clicks before each mission

If you keep 2-3 ships on military bases, then you will not need to change the team. It will be enough to send another transport with a different team to the task. I miss the 7x7 military bases with lots of hangars.

2 hours ago, Komandos said:

If you keep 2-3 ships on military bases, then you will not need to change the team. It will be enough to send another transport with a different team to the task. I miss the 7x7 military bases with lots of hangars.

With the new stress system you probably would want multiple teams to reuse the same dropship, and even if stress wasn't there it would be a nice quality of life feature. 

12 hours ago, Komandos said:

It will be enough to send another transport with a different team to the task.

Maybe, but a separate dropship spends extra money for upkeep and requires an extra hangar. There is not much space on the main base to keep an extra hangar for second dropship there, which also has upkeep cost. Therefore, it is cheaper to use one vehicle.

The Devs said already, that the Vehicles are only like in the Original X-Com, UFO ET and new XCOM Scout-Fire-Support-Vehicles (like the Robots in XCOM 2 / XCOM: Chimera Squad and Drohne Vehicles in XCOM EU / EW).

I use 1 Dropship too to make the needed Missions (Terror, Alien-Base, needed UFO´s and such). Evtl. with a smaller second Base an other Troop if there is more to manage.

But back to topic. If the Devs bring in an suggestet Team-Troop-System, then it will be so. If not, then it´s fully OK too. We made our suggestions, more we can´t do. The Decissions lay by the Devs now to bring or not bring it in. If they wanna bring it in, then as an Option and not as an must have for all, but if the Public (the Testers / Gamers which give estemate the Game as good or bad) after a medium / long Play means that is a must have then it´s the one and only Option.

6 hours ago, Alienkiller said:

The Devs said already, that the Vehicles are only like in the Original X-Com, UFO ET and new XCOM Scout-Fire-Support-Vehicles (like the Robots in XCOM 2 / XCOM: Chimera Squad and Drohne Vehicles in XCOM EU / EW).

I use 1 Dropship too to make the needed Missions (Terror, Alien-Base, needed UFO´s and such). Evtl. with a smaller second Base an other Troop if there is more to manage.

But back to topic. If the Devs bring in an suggestet Team-Troop-System, then it will be so. If not, then it´s fully OK too. We made our suggestions, more we can´t do. The Decissions lay by the Devs now to bring or not bring it in. If they wanna bring it in, then as an Option and not as an must have for all, but if the Public (the Testers / Gamers which give estemate the Game as good or bad) after a medium / long Play means that is a must have then it´s the one and only Option.

I agree with what you are saying, at the end of the day the developers have the say in what goes into the final game, but this team creating system would be very helpful for players like me who would want multiple teams using the same dropship so I can maximize alien resources thus making it a nice quality of life update. I don't think it would be hard to implement either (I've never developed a game before so don't attack me if I'm wrong). 

1 hour ago, Alienkiller said:

I don´t know that too how hard or easy such Elements are to implement.

It will not be difficult to add replacement functions for the whole team. It is more difficult to add several small groups to one ship, as it takes a lot of checks to avoid loading extra soldiers (Although it would be convenient, but not so important).

Edited by MrAlex

That´s why UFO ET, old and new XCOM, Phoenix Point (the latest of all) and all other Fanprojects of that Gerne and similiar Gernes haven´t implemented that for the Transports and on Geoscape. Only in the Ground-Fights it´s possible to make Groups (first seen in C & C, then implemented too in X-COM: Apoc in the 1990´s).

Edited by Alienkiller

11 hours ago, Alienkiller said:

That´s why UFO ET, old and new XCOM, Phoenix Point (the latest of all) and all other Fanprojects of that Gerne and similiar Gernes haven´t implemented that for the Transports and on Geoscape.

People who create tactical turn-based games often have very little experience in these games. Developers are often guided by speculative ideas drawn from trendy concepts, and rarely from diverse gaming experiences.

Why do the fan-made X-Pirates; Area-51 based on OpenXcom outperform all the new XCOMs?

Edited by Komandos

We all don´t know that. I have Open X-Com for the old X-Com-Row too (esp. for the first 2 Games). There are nice Elements in it, which bring the Original-Games in the directon of the Level from the first Xenonauts.

But more important are the Fact, that all Specials, which were in the Demos are coming back. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I like the idea, as long as you can still assign single soldiers to a jump ship as well. When you return to base after a mission wounded troops are removed, and I may not want to switch an entire team out for one casualty. I don't necessarily want to replace the wounded soldier in the team, but a temporary replacement would be useful.

9 hours ago, Challenge said:

and I may not want to switch an entire team out for one casualty

You will not need to do this. The idea is to add the ability to quickly replace the entire team if it has a high level of stress. You will be able to use the existing interface to replace one or more soldiers.

As long as the whole team gets the same level of stress after the fight, it is more convenient for me to change the whole team to a new one. Otherwise, the team will have different indicators of stress and will have to check each soldier separately.

Hmm... If you have minimum 3 Options, then I promote the Idea:

1. Option: Soldiers in the Team can be changed manually (like now seperately for every Soldier)

2. Option: Soldiers in the Team can switch to the other Team / Teams too (2, max. 3 Teams you don´t need normaly)

3. Option: You can switch the In Rerserve Team with the Combat Team in one Circle.

4. + Option: ?????????????

I think it will be enough to just add the ability to create platoons, assign soldiers to them, and create buttons to add / release platoons to / from dropship. In this case, only one check will be enough to avoid bugs (whether the number of soldiers in the platoon that is added to the dropship does not exceed the number of vacancies in it).

• 2 years later...