V17.1 - Aircraft screen. Aircraft take FOREVER to "heal""

Emily_F

This is a balance issue rather than a bug - the idea is that aircraft shouldn't be able to repair up to full health between each wave of UFOs like they can do in Xenonauts 1, so you have to pick your battles a bit more carefully than before. Not sure it's working very well at the moment but that's what we're trying to achieve.

Let's discuss how well it works and possible tweaks / alternatives once I've done a pass on the mid-game strategy balance.

41 minutes ago, Chris said:

Is the replacement time only 9 days? Hmmm. I'll need to tweak that too then.

The replacement time might be 9 days but the then it has to be repaired. It didn't come back new (at least it doesn't for me). 

Not gonna lie, I never do the mini game with the dogfights because I suck at it 

2 hours ago, Alienkiller said:

Emily_F that´s a nice Feature in the Game. If you like I can you explain how to win the fights manually without Damage mostly.

Yeah, I can see it's a cool feature. But if be interested to know what the best strategies are because I usually use one aircraft as a decoy by getting the UFO to chase it them make it run away, and then try and get the other two behind the UFO to shoot it down

15 hours ago, Emily_F said:

The replacement time might be 9 days but the then it has to be repaired. It didn't come back new (at least it doesn't for me).

The fighter is restored to its base HP, and then it restores additional HP (obtained from the platings). This is exactly what happens with newly built fighters.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MrAlex said:

@Chris Is it possible to use the option of neighboring buildings to get an accelerated build and recovery of fighters, if the hangar is located next to the workshop? This would be a very useful and interesting option.

Or a special building like the "garage" in X1 

That´s an theme some of us have announeced in other Versions too before. Yep the Repair Time is to long as well as you can´t upgrade your Fighters with new Features, like an Engine Upgrade, Electronics etc.

The following Steps would reduce the Repair Time:

1. The Armor get a same Armor Protection like on MARS- / ARES Vehicle.

2. Every Plane has it´s maximum HP, like the X-25 (150 HP) and get repaired in a time-limit. Light Damages in XX Hours to maximum 1 Day, Medium Damage in 3 Days and Heavy Damage about 6 Days. Belongs what is Damaged (Airframe, Weapons, Engine, Fuel-Tanks, Electronics f. e.).

3. That should recude the Time to bring back your existing planes back to Battle (like in BSG or such), because to build up a new Plane Completely are about 9 Days or much longer (belongs on the R & D Improvements as well Buildungs and their Upgrades you have).

@Emily_F: Exactly that´s the Way. But maybe we will get an complete new Part of that with Game Improvement. At the Moment we can only say the existing and full woriking Airfight-Screen is an interim Solution, after the old tested ones were no Option.

3 hours ago, Alienkiller said:

build up a new Plane Completely are about 9 Days or much longe

Construction of the new aircraft takes about two days, with 14 engineers and an improved workshop

That's why I think the presence of a workshop should reduce repair time.

Edited by MrAlex
  • Like 1

For me personally, the problem of repair is not relevant, because I rarely get damage in battle.

Disband is a much bigger problem. I spend a few million to build angels and then just disband them instead of selling when the fury is available.

Phantoms are useless against most UFOs due to the lack of ability to carry heavy missiles. This is a much bigger problem than a long fighter recovery.

Players should be glad that it is possible to repair a downed plane for free, because in the original UFO the downed planes were lost.

6 hours ago, MrAlex said:

Phantoms are useless against most UFOs due to the lack of ability to carry heavy missiles. This is a much bigger problem than a long fighter recovery.

Yeah, the Phantoms are a waste of time; they are the equivalent of the Foxtrot in X1. Needs some balance work done - basically it needs to be a faster, tougher, longer-range version of the X-25. Then whatever comes after it (I've never got that far without the game breaking or becoming unplayable) should basically be a battleship in its own right with loads of weapons that can take on most UFOs and win most of the time.