Realistic Graphics vs. Cartoony Graphics

Should the game keep the Cartoony Graphics it currently has or go full realistic? Like this but turn based: 

The thing is... the music is very spooky and immersive but then you look at the current graphics and all that goes down the drain. I feel that Xenonauts 2 is currently like playing Stalker on the Boderlands 2 engine. It wants to be immersive and scary but ends up being funny.

I would say such cartoonish style is the successor of X1 art style (it's realistic enough for me, keep in mind that we're dealing with aliens and this is the most authentic art style we have comparing to range of games with similar plot). Also, it might be too late for the devs to change such art style while we're going for EA for less than a month.

I would reckon your "realistic" style refers to a more blurry filter instead of the model itself. Otherwise, there is a similar game called RAM Pressure that have some realistic design like authentic gear or something, but it looks too Edgy becuase of its poor VA, cursed choice of soundtracks and lack a darker filter like this one.

Edited by EurekaSeven

For some reason the look of Xenonauts 2 takes me out of the immersion far more than the original one or even XCOM 1. Perhaps the times have changed and I have been spoiled by newer games...

But the issue is not a blurry filter is the shadows and the models.... these models (the current Xenonauts 2 ones) somehow manage to look 2D even if they are 3D...

The best example is how Borderlands 2 looks compared to Dark Souls etc... I know many players like the style of Borderlands 2 but I pretty much prefer the gritty look of the old fallout games specially fallout 2 that at least tried to look gory and realistic... Xenonauts 2 seems like it is not even trying to look and feel realistic just like Borderlands.. but Borderlands is a comedy RPG and not a spooky cold war aliens invade the earth like Xenonauts is trying to be.

It is funny because the music and ambience (sound wise) is completely the opposite of what the current graphics portray and it is shame because everything else from the lore to the time setting is just perfect in Xenonauts.

Edited by Valmont