[V 17.1 Ground Combat] Soldiers die without taking damage

maxm222

See file.  This is the third time one or more of my units have simply disappeared from the portrait list at the top of the screen and the game, without taking damage or any other indication of what happened to them.  Once, the "dead" soldiers miraculously reappeared as alive again in the results screen summary.  The other times I simply stopped playing the battle since I had lost two or more troops this way.  The smoke can't kill them without any indication of damage, can it?

I had thought I read of other players having this problem, but I don't see any problems of this type in 17.1.  This pretty much makes battles into crap shoots.

user_invisiblekiller1-7.json

Edited by maxm222
Perfectionism

23 hours ago, maxm222 said:

See file.  This is the third time one or more of my units have simply disappeared from the portrait list at the top of the screen and the game, without taking damage or any other indication of what happened to them.  Once, the "dead" soldiers miraculously reappeared as alive again in the results screen summary.  The other times I simply stopped playing the battle since I had lost two or more troops this way.  The smoke can't kill them without any indication of damage, can it?

I had thought I read of other players having this problem, but I don't see any problems of this type in 17.1.  This pretty much makes battles into crap shoots.

user_invisiblekiller1-7.json

Thanks. Yeah, smoke inflicts stun damage on units that don't have Rebreathers equipped, so I suspect your soldiers are falling unconscious as a result of taking too much stun damage.

I guess we need to make it more obvious what's happening. There's no damage numbers for stun damage and no pop-up that says when someone is stunned - I think we'll add those in.

10 hours ago, Chris said:

I guess we need to make it more obvious what's happening. There's no damage numbers for stun damage and no pop-up that says when someone is stunned - I think we'll add those in.

If the smoke causes stun damage, gas grenades are not needed. It is worth return the stun grenades back instead.
If units take a stun damage from smoke, you need the trigger stun damage counter for each move through the smoke.

1 hour ago, MrAlex said:

If the smoke causes stun damage, gas grenades are not needed. It is worth return the stun grenades back instead.
If units take a stun damage from smoke, you need the trigger stun damage counter for each move through the smoke.

The electroshock grenades will be returning in the next build, they were just set to unlock incorrectly. But stun gas does a lot more stun damage per tile than smoke does, so it's still useful. I might reduce the amount of stun damage done by normal smoke a bit too.

On 2/8/2021 at 5:29 PM, Chris said:

"There's no damage numbers for stun damage and no pop-up that says when someone is stunned - I think we'll add those in."

Yes!  Thank you!  Is there any amount of "safe" time before the smoke starts affecting friendly troops?  And did I miss this info in the tutorial?

Just now, maxm222 said:

Yes!  Thank you!  Is there any amount of "safe" time before the smoke starts affecting friendly troops?  And did I miss this info in the tutorial?

There's no tutorial yet so it's hard to know this stuff, but there's a yellow bar that fills up the HP bar once a unit starts taking stun damage. If that reaches the current HP level the unit will be stunned,

1 minute ago, Chris said:

"There's no tutorial yet so it's hard to know this stuff, but there's a yellow bar that fills up the HP bar once a unit starts taking stun damage. If that reaches the current HP level the unit will be stunned,"

Oh, heh-heh, thanks [embarrassed].  I never clicked on "Tutorial," so...  :rolleyes: