[V 17.1 Ground Combat] Is LOS all for one?

maxm222

On 2/5/2021 at 3:30 AM, MrAlex said:

"The orange alien icon means that alien was spotted in the current turn, but is not in sight at the moment.
If the icon is red, then the alien is in sight of one of the soldiers at the moment."

Thanks.  What confuses me is when you say that the "alien was spotted in the current turn."  The current turn in the screen shot includes the beginning where no soldiers have moved and no aliens have appeared, and then a single soldier (without LOS) turns, and--still without the soldier having LOS--an alien appears. 

Are you saying that one of the non-moving soldiers is assumed to have seen the alien from the very beginning of the turn, but that info only becomes visual when any of the soldiers--including those without LOS--move?

Edited by maxm222
Perfectionism

46 minutes ago, maxm222 said:

I checked with my Magic 8 Ball, and it said: "Reply hazy, try again."  Perhaps we will never know..

Yeah, it looks like one of the soldiers closest to the exit ramp has visiblity on that alien right from the start of the mission, probably the guy in combat armour.

On 2/8/2021 at 5:06 PM, Chris said:

"Yeah, it looks like one of the soldiers closest to the exit ramp has visiblity on that alien right from the start of the mission, probably the guy in combat armour."

Okay, got it, thanks.  So it looks like we don't have "relative spotting," where we can only see the LOS of the unit chosen.  How hard would that be to implement (if anyone besides me wanted it)?

33 minutes ago, maxm222 said:

Okay, got it, thanks.  So it looks like we don't have "relative spotting," where we can only see the LOS of the unit chosen.  How hard would that be to implement (if anyone besides me wanted it)?

If you're talking about an overlay that would show which tiles are in the LOS of the currently selected soldier (e.g. if you held down a keyboard button), it's probably not too difficult to do - we already have that information, it's just not displayed to the player at the moment.

It's not a high priority thing for us but if people would find it useful we could consider implementing a keyboard shortcut for it during Early Access.

It can be helpful in planning who's going to do what, given their personal LOS, but things like more rational AI for for the NPC friendlies (like "touch and send" them back to the chopper) or more directional clues for out-of-LOS events would be higher priority for me, and I'm sure you have a much longer list.