[v17] Soldier's armor

8 hours ago, wolfpriest95 said:

. I know what point you are trying to make, but I don't know how to explain to you that having to personally control 20 individuals is extremely boring, to say nothing of your plan needing the player to find all of the snipers, and all of the gunners, and divide them equally, and then slowly march to the ship, or whatever the target is.

Individual units are easily marked with colored armor. Red assault group. Blue assault group. Green assault group. Yellow assault group. Black heavy fire support group from the second line of battle formations.

2.png

2 hours ago, Komandos said:

Individual units are easily marked with colored armor.

Why do you spam screenshots of mods as proof? No one wants to play a few hours each mission, and you've been told many times why. Those who like to create mods can mock the game as they wish, even up to 40 soldiers on a mission. Maybe some players like it. But the main game is created for thousands of players who like the classics.

Edited by MrAlex

38 minutes ago, MrAlex said:

No one wants to play a few hours each mission, and you've been told many times why. Those who like to create mods can mock the game as they wish, even up to 40 soldiers on a mission. Maybe some players like it. But the main game is created for thousands of players who like the classics.

1. No one wants to go through a couple hundred small missions that last half an hour, which can be replaced by a couple dozen large missions that last one hour.

2. Those who love the classics want the classic version of the maximum platoon size.

They don’t make an exact Copy, they take the Ghost of the Original (without the big Failures the Original had) and combine it with good Features of the new XCOM and similar Games.

you mean Xenonauts 1, which gone in the direction of an similar Gamestile as the Originals from 1993 / 1994.

Edited by Alienkiller

22 minutes ago, Komandos said:

No one wants to go through a couple hundred small missions that last half an hour

There are no hundreds of missions here, a few dozen per campaign is the maximum.

24 minutes ago, Komandos said:

which can be replaced by a couple dozen large missions that last one hour.

Missions involving 16 soldiers already last about an hour, if played carefully.

2 hours ago, MrAlex said:

There are no hundreds of missions here, a few dozen per campaign is the maximum.

I play Xenonauts 1. I reached the appearance of medium UFO aliens with androids. I already have 40 combat missions. Every three game days, their number increases by 3-4. In a month, their number will be 70-80. Ten months later, 340-440.

@Komandos @MrAlex: Cool down, Breathe and listen. Xenonauts 1 is not Xenonauts 2. In Xenonauts 1 there were no other Way then to make Mission 1 to Mission 100.000 to get the Chance to finish the Storyline. Either Refits / Reworks or Bugfixes could solve the Problem. That was like in the Originals (like it was in X-Com EU / TFTD or UFO Extraterestials).

Xenonauts 2 goes the Way the new Games are going. Lesser 08/15-Missions, more Specials and Secrets etc. what makes them great. And Xenonauts 2 bring in an Concept which is completely new. It´s a Hybrid (like the Alien-Humans in new XCOM or in the cool old X-COM Apocalypse) which combines old Spirit with new Elements. New Elements like Limitation from your Soldiers and Training-Abilitys, Building-Bonuses, an complete new Equipment-Management and much more what the new Games bring in already, but never thought to an End. Old Spirit means that the Gooseflash-Feeling come back, like in the Night Missions, limited Ressources and similar.

Short said: You can´t compare Apples (Xenonauts 2) with Oranges (Xenonauts 1), which are completely differnt. 

9 hours ago, Komandos said:

It's boring when instead of destroying 40 aliens on a single mission with 20 soldiers, I have to fly out on three missions in a row for my 8 soldiers to destroy 40 aliens. And if I lose one soldier with a team of 20 people, I will only lose 5% of my experience. And with a team of 8 people, the loss of one fighter means the loss of 12.5% of experience. It's easier to train a large team.

If the developers create an "exact copy" of the first UFO:1-2, then why do they not want to copy the maximum tactical number of soldiers in battle?

It's probably much easier to balance a game which have a maximum of 8-12 soldiers than it is to balance having over 20 soldiers. I disagree, it is easier to train a small team instead of a large one. You may say you would lose 12.5% of your experience when someone dies in a small team, but the opposite is true too. Whenever someone gets a major stat up (either through gaining stats by completing missions, getting upgrade to their gear, etc), it is far more noticeable in a small team than it is in a large one due to the same percentages. 

Exactly Kamehamehayes.

Therefore I like Games where the Costs and other Things limit the Troop-Size like new XCOM, Phoenix Point or in Xenonauts 2, esp. if you know that the higher Ranks with Experiance get more Payment for their Duty, as it is like in the real Special Troops / Elite Forces.

2 small Teams for such a Elite-Force is normaly enough, if they have 4 or 5 Women / Men in Reserve for Comrades which have a high Stress level or get longer out of Duty. Atm I play in that composition, but the Game Development isn´t finished yet. So we will see what surprises Beta 18 will bring.

• 2 months later...
On 3/2/2021 at 7:19 AM, Komandos said:

It's boring when instead of destroying 40 aliens on a single mission with 20 soldiers, I have to fly out on three missions in a row for my 8 soldiers to destroy 40 aliens. And if I lose one soldier with a team of 20 people, I will only lose 5% of my experience. And with a team of 8 people, the loss of one fighter means the loss of 12.5% of experience. It's easier to train a large team.

If the developers create an "exact copy" of the first UFO:1-2, then why do they not want to copy the maximum tactical number of soldiers in battle?

I am with you: I never remember nor care about the names or faces of the various grunts

Played the Firaxis remakes yes, but they were far from the feeling of the original, more like playing with super-hero action figures

8 soldiers are acceptable in the very first missions for recon but generally I enjoy missions with a minimum of 12 soldiers so can actually have 3 fireteams to conduct some base manuevers with. Like to have combat line being able ot execute pincer maneuver and loosing soldeirs left and right while doing so to underline the superiority of the enemy forces both physically mentally and technologically

Dont enjoy reversing this mechanic where a couple of superhuman soldiers take down hordes of enemies with inferior weapons, less tension in it for me

My concern is not evne to how much the squad size alligns to reality: having a small or a large squad count in the game fundamentally changes the theme and balance: are we fighting a superior force with everything we got or are we murdering them in strowes with a handfull of larger then life heros withouth loosing a single soldier?

The original game I would argue was the former and no-one seems to be trying to recapture that concept.

• Thanks 1