Crash due to memory overflow

MrAlex

13 hours ago, MrAlex said:

From the first days of testing I noticed that the game constantly increases the amount of memory occupied. If you play for a long time, the game will take up all available memory and then crash.

output.log

error.log

Thanks. That's certainly something we need to look into. We need to gather a bit more info to do that, so a few questions / thoughts:

• If you've got a save from towards the end of that campaign it'd be great if you could post that up.
  • Is this something that's only started happening in V17?
  • I've seen you play quite deep into the game in other bug reports on the forums, whereas this crash seems to have happened after only 30 mins. Were you doing anything unusual?
  • What are your PC specs?
  • Do you have a rough idea of how many missions you've played since you started that play session?
  • Was it just a single campaign in that play session, or did you return to the Main Menu and start a new campaign without restarting the game?
  • Did you save / load the game a lot during the play session?

11 minutes ago, Chris said:
  • If you've got a save from towards the end of that campaign it'd be great if you could post that up.
  • Is this something that's only started happening in V17?
  • I've seen you play quite deep into the game in other bug reports on the forums, whereas this crash seems to have happened after only 30 mins. Were you doing anything unusual?
  • What are your PC specs?
  • Do you have a rough idea of how many missions you've played since you started that play session?
  • Was it just a single campaign in that play session, or did you return to the Main Menu and start a new campaign without restarting the game?
  • Did you save / load the game a lot during the play session?

1) The problem is not in the specific save, loading the game and the last save before the crash, I successfully continue the game.

2) No, these crashes have happened before. I saw the first crashes as soon as I joined the testing (In version 14). I just did not know how to clearly explain the problem.

3) Customs such crashes do not happen after 30 minutes of play. Rather, 30 minutes have passed since the last save was downloaded. Or it is important how often I download the save.

4) Intel Core i5 (6 gen), Geforce 1050 TI (or 1060), 8 GB RAM, Windows 7 x64

I will be able to provide more accurate characteristics only on Friday when I return from work.

5) The game has been running for a long time. Next time I will pay more attention to this.

6) I only played one campaign, although there are other campaigns in the adjacent save directory, but there are other versions of the game.

7) Yes, even very much so. Especially on ground missions. There is always something going wrong. Recently, the number of downloads has increased even more, as smoke grenades have become poorly protected from the shots of aliens in patch 17.

That´s a Reason why most of us have Win 10 64 since 2 or 3 Years. The System is stable, get upgrades regularily etc. And Games since 201x-Times runs smoother and better.

Win 7 is sometimes better for older Games before the 201x-Times and Nostalgia Games. Seems that you have to upgrade your Home-System to Win 10 instead. Means you give the Answer and first Bugfixing for that yourself.

Edited by Alienkiller

If there is a memory leak or something in the game then naturally it'll happen much more quickly on a less powerful machine - specifically the crash happened because your RAM and paging file were full. All our work machines at GHI have at least 16GB RAM which is probably why we've not seen it ourselves.

Thanks for the answers you provided. If you think of anything else then let us know.

This issue probably won't be fixed in the hotfix, as I suspect figuring out what the problem is and fixing it might be quite a large job, but we'll start looking into it.

52 minutes ago, Alienkiller said:

The System is stable, get upgrades regularily etc.

Disagree. Quite the opposite. After buying a PC 5 years ago, I first installed Windows 10. After the first update, I started watching BSOD. Restoring the system before upgrading helped. But attempts to turn off the update were unsuccessful, it was still updated and called BSOD. That's why I continued to use windows 7, to which I got used. There you could turn off the update, and not risk downloading bugs when updating. In addition, Windows 7 has always been more convenient for me, because there are many settings you can do manually, and in Windows 10 almost everything is done automatically and not always correctly. This system is more suitable for inexperienced users.

After the developers stopped supporting Windows 7, I just had to endure all the inconveniences of Windows 10 on a laptop. I would be happy to replace it with Windows 7, but it's just impossible.