Xenonauts-2 Closed Beta Build V16.2B Hotfix Released! (Experimental Branch)

EDIT - I've pushed an additional fix for V16.2 called "V16.2B" which doesn't break save games but fixes the missing base selector elements on the recruit scientist / engineer panels!

This is the second "hotfix" for Beta Build V16. You'll need to be on the Experimental Branch to access the build.

Some balancing tweaks to the Stress system in this build as the numbers were previously set too high, but other than that this is mostly stability fixes and minor gameplay polish.

Content / Gameplay Updates:

• The MARS artwork has now been painted over in 2D and looks a bit nicer.
    • The debris that is spawned when you damage or destroy an object is now less oversized.
    • Alien grenade explosions should no longer be hidden by the Hidden Movement screen.
    • Alien Psi-Amp research art added to the game.
    • Fusion grenades (human and alien) now have a green explosion.
    • Advanced grenades now have different sound effects to the starting grenades, and in most cases the sound of ground tiles being destroyed has been removed (because it was drowning out the sound of grenades going off).

UI Updates:

• Clicking on the name of a Dropship on the Soldier Equip screen takes you to the aircraft screen with the appropriate dropship selected.
    • The "Building Complete" Geoscape pop-up now specifies if the building had insufficient power to activate itself on completion.
    • Explosions on-screen no longer block clicking through them, or the appearance of fire cursors etc.
    • Fixed some places where the black text outlines were too thick, such as on the "Aircraft Airborne" notifications on the Aircraft screen.
    • Fixed an offset on the number of scientists / engineers at the base text field.
    • Number of scientists / engineers to be hired is now displayed on the appropriate hire UI button.
    • Stress now has the correct tooltip on the Soldier Equip screen.

Balance Changes:

• Stress gain reduced from 25 per mission / 3 per turn, and changed to 30 per mission / 1 per turn.
    • The HP of soldiers on the strategy layer after combat is now set to the lowest HP that soldier had during battle, rather than their modified maximum HP at the end of battle (which rarely dropped below 50%).
    • MARS now has 75HP and 25 Armour by default, whereas in previous builds it just had 100HP.
    • The Baton and Electroshock Pistol / Rifle / Grenade now do EMP damage in additional to their normal Stun damage. EMP damage only affects robotic units (which are immune to Stun damage) and ignores armour.
    • The first Destroyer UFO will spawn in the same region as your base.
    • Electroshock pistol cost reduced from $750k to $75k.
    • Soldiers now cost $5k to hire instead of $10k.

Bugfixes:

• Fixed a hang when you fire a soldier that is recovering from a Stress injury.
    • Fixed a hang that could occur during the alien turn in the tactical combat.
    • Fixed a bug where soldiers in night combat could randomly have nightvision radiuses as low as 2 tiles, rather than the 10 tiles that are standard.
    • Units now correctly gain TU again.
    • Units that have reached 100 Stress and suffered a Stress injury now actually recover from their injury.
    • Medikits can now be activated by clicking on their image like they could in earlier builds.
    • Soldier armour selection dropdown now functions correctly after changing the soldier role.
    • Fixed a bug where the player starts with the Servosuit and Nullsuit in unlimited quantities.
    • Stat-boosting undersuits like the Servosuit and Nullsuit now correctly boost stats (although the UI doesn't accurately reflect this yet)
    • Fixed a bug where the MARS HP would randomise between 75 and 100 on construction.
    • Fixed an issue where soldiers would be listed as "Recovering" from Stress even before they reach 100 Stress.
    • The hire cost of Scientists and Engineers is no longer random up to $50k / $25k, it is $20k / $10k like it should be.
    • Toronto has been moved from China back to Canada.
    • Russian ladies can no longer be called Ilya.
    • Fixed haybales going invisible on damage when they hadn't actually been destroyed.
    • Fixed soldier hair poking through the helmet on the Soldier Equip screen (in most circumstances).

Please let us know if you encounter any further issues with V16 as we will continue to make additional fixes as required.

Welcome back toronto :D I had totally forgot I made a post about that quite a while ago. Also thanks for the patch :)

edit---------

So just to update on stress, first mission was only 40 stress this time

edit2----------

On the first destroyer I went from 0 to 49 stress compared to 0 to 100 last time. I got the same map though so I knew which way I wanted to go this time which saved a number of turns.

Edited by odizzido

@odizzido: Thanks for testing that fixed Stress System, I will make an new Test with 16.2 today evening.

@Chris: What do you mean with following?

11 hours ago, Chris said:

Content / Gameplay Updates:

• The MARS artwork has now been painted over in 2D and looks a bit nicer.
    • The debris that is spawned when you damage or destroy an object is now less oversized.

UI Updates:

• Explosions on-screen no longer block clicking through them, or the appearance of fire cursors etc.
    • Number of scientists / engineers to be hired is now displayed on the appropriate hire UI button.

Balance Changes:

• The HP of soldiers on the strategy layer after combat is now set to the lowest HP that soldier had during battle, rather than their modified maximum HP at the end of battle (which rarely dropped below 50%).
    • The Baton and Electroshock Pistol / Rifle / Grenade now do EMP damage, which only affects robotic units and ignores armour.

Bugfixes:

• Units now correctly gain TU again.
    • Units that have reached 100 Stress and suffered a Stress injury now actually recover from their injury.
    • Stat-boosting undersuits like the Servosuit and Nullsuit now correctly boost stats (although the UI doesn't accurately reflect this yet)
    • Fixed an issue where soldiers would be listed as "Recovering" from Stress even before they reach 100 Stress.
    • Fixed haybales going invisible on damage when they hadn't actually been destroyed

That´s the first time I ask, all Betas before I could work the Informations.

9 minutes ago, Alienkiller said:

@odizzido: Thanks for testing that fixed Stress System, I will make an new Test with 16.2 today evening.

@Chris: What do you mean with following?

That´s the first time I ask, all Betas before I could work the Informations.

The only three in that list that are important are:

• Previously the HP of soldiers at the end of the battle was set to the most they could be healed up to (their maximum HP minus any "permanent" unhealable damage caused by a shot). This meant soldiers never really went below 50% health on the strategy layer even if they ended a battle on 2HP. Now they have their HP set to the lowest value that happened in battle (e.g. 2HP)
    • Stun weapons now also do EMP damage, which is a special type of damage that only affects robotic units. So if you shoot an Andron with an Electroshock pistol it won't take stun damage but it will take normal damage (and this damage ignores armour).
    • When an object in ground combat takes damage, it spawns debris. That debris is now smaller.

Thanks Chris for the fast Information update. With that Infos I can work with.

Some more things I have to mention for the next Fixes / Updates and esp. for the Early Access-Countdown, which is if I remember corretly, started.

1a: If the Stun Weapons get the EMP-Damage fully integrated (not an interim solution), get the Archivtext an inclusion of that? If yes, it would be great.

1b: If the first as well as light upgraded Stun Weapons with the EMP-Damage are an interim solution it would be nice to know what is planed then.

2. The other thing I have mentioned in the Bug-Forum is that an research Text (the Alien Flying Drone) still have the false Text (from Androns), which have to be fixed before we release the Early Access.

3. Some other Archive-Texts have to be adjustet to the Game-Changes or have spelling errors. I asked MrAlex to mark them (like the Orbital Bombardement Time from 10 to 30 Days), before we release the Early Access.

4. Good to know would be what is planed for the next big Betas (the missing Texts and Pictures for the Archive, new Features on Geoscape etc. are clear). What is of Interesst are f. e. get in the Special Missions, an change of Base Buildup from Ground on [that means new Bases] and similar before Early Access. An short Info about that would be nice. That means we can better integrate / rework / bugfix / refit new and existing Features. With the Public People in Background it won´t be doable that in some Parts and that Parts like the orbital Bombardement, the Stress System have to be hardcoded before (I know that from reading and discussing the Steam-Posts).

Edited by Alienkiller

20 hours ago, Chris said:

The Baton and Electroshock Pistol / Rifle / Grenade now do EMP damage, which only affects robotic units

Why? And now how do I capture living aliens? This is a stupid idea. With such settings, you have made the stun weapon useless.

Nope, if you read the Answer from Chris i have asked too about that. The Stun effect get the same to organic Aliens (Sebillians, Cesans, Repers etc.). The Elektroshocks have EMP-Effects too to technical Things.

The best examples are People with an internal Heartbeat-Mashine. With an Elektroshock on the wrong Bodypart they can die or get hurt very bad about the internal thing.

Stun-Weapons get called not deadly weapons. That they are in about 90 to 95 % of the Custom, but exceptions confirm the custom.

Edited by Alienkiller

4 hours ago, MrAlex said:

Why? And now how do I capture living aliens? This is a stupid idea. With such settings, you have made the stun weapon useless.

On reading it again the original line was a little unclear, so I've updated it to make it completely obvious that they do EMP damage in addition to their normal stun damage.

Just a heads-up for anyone who just recieved another update - I've done another quick patch that restores the missing base selector elements from the Recruit Scientist / Recruit Engineer screen panels. You'll know if you have this updated version because it's called V16.2b!

The Patch will come this week. Chris and the Devs haven´t given us the new Version V.17 or Hotfix V.16.3 yet for several reasons. And if they take longer to fix Bugs, refit that and that, bring in missing content etc. then give them the Time.

I stoped too testing and play some nostalgic Games again (like the good old X-Com EU / TftD / Apocalypse in OpenXCom-Version as well as the cool X-Com Interceptor-Version or UFO ET with Grayfiend-Mod on Win 10) for more Ideas and an evtl. DLC.

I could play instead the new XCOM EU / EW or XCOM 2 WotC too, but the insperations there are already in Xenonauts 2.

Edited by Alienkiller