Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Praetorian

Readability Issues (Xenopedia mostly)

Recommended Posts

I can't put my finger on it. Is it the font, its size, its color, the pixel spacing between letters, I don't know. I can't read the Xenopedia without squinting (I got no eye problems and it's only in this game so it's not my TV) and I end up giving up after a paragraph. Over and over.

I didn't have this problem in X1 (which I played 2 months ago for the last time so my memory's fresh) which means despite the Xenopedia being similar in presentation in both games, something has changed in X2. I hope it's only me. But I humbly think it's a real problem.  While I'm at it, I'd like to seriously compliment whoever wrote X1's xenopedia. He nailed it so hard that even I who hates reading blocks of text ever since I was 5 ended up eating the entire Xenopedia up.  

Back to the issues. It's not just the Xenopedia. Those hints during loading screens seem to be slightly blurred, not perfectly crystal clear to read, as if a mild fog was in front of the sentences. I don't know how to say it.

I also noticed that the events in the Geoscape are also blurry and the fact that they're written in very small font size doesn't help. I'm talking about "Electrical Blackout, Train junction bombed, Crop circles etc". The text which appears on the map itself, not on the log down there even though that one is kinda small too. And my TV is a meter in diameter sitting 1.5m in front of my face. Yes yes dont tell me its bad lol 

City names on geoscape are also very slightly blurred.

While I'm at it, I'm not complaining but the blue squares that indicate the location of a city aren't as nice to look at in comparison to the red circles in X1, according to my personal preferences. But this here is entirely subjective, I realize that, and people have different tastes etc etc.  

Thank you for reading.

Edited by Praetorian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We all don´t have such Problems, because we use the correct Hard- and Software (PC, Monitor, Operation System, Updates for the Hard- and Software).

Your Problems result on your TV, not the Game.

First: Update your PC first (newest Drivers for Graphics Card, Operation System, Sound etc. etc.)

Second: Update your TV and other systems there like a Subwover-Sound-System (the same like your PC)

Both will need time and are absolutely necessary. My TV, PC, Recivers inform me when it´s time for an new Update. Only the Subwover-Sound-System I have to check Manually for new Updates. And if necessary you have to make the correct Adjustments for the TV, which get forgotten very often.

If it´s done and you have the same Issues again, you have to play with the correct PC-Hardware on your PC directly then. There you don´t have such Problems.

Edited by Alienkiller

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Alienkiller said:

We all don´t have such Problems, because we use the correct Hard- and Software (PC, Monitor, Operation System, Updates for the Hard- and Software).

Your Problems result on your TV, not the Game.

First: Update your PC first (newest Drivers for Graphics Card, Operation System, Sound etc. etc.)

Second: Update your TV and other systems there like a Subwover-Sound-System (the same like your PC)

Both will need time and are absolutely necessary. My TV, PC, Recivers inform me when it´s time for an new Update. Only the Subwover-Sound-System I have to check Manually for new Updates. And if necessary you have to make the correct Adjustments for the TV, which get forgotten very often.

If it´s done and you have the same Issues again, you have to play with the correct PC-Hardware on your PC directly then. There you don´t have such Problems.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm glad it's only me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I don't have that either. Something to take a look at is overscan(I think that's the term). TVs have a habit of messing with the information they're receiving which is annoying to say the least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2021 at 2:31 AM, Praetorian said:

I can't put my finger on it. Is it the font, its size, its color, the pixel spacing between letters, I don't know. I can't read the Xenopedia without squinting (I got no eye problems and it's only in this game so it's not my TV) and I end up giving up after a paragraph. Over and over.

I didn't have this problem in X1 (which I played 2 months ago for the last time so my memory's fresh) which means despite the Xenopedia being similar in presentation in both games, something has changed in X2. I hope it's only me. But I humbly think it's a real problem.  While I'm at it, I'd like to seriously compliment whoever wrote X1's xenopedia. He nailed it so hard that even I who hates reading blocks of text ever since I was 5 ended up eating the entire Xenopedia up.  

Back to the issues. It's not just the Xenopedia. Those hints during loading screens seem to be slightly blurred, not perfectly crystal clear to read, as if a mild fog was in front of the sentences. I don't know how to say it.

I also noticed that the events in the Geoscape are also blurry and the fact that they're written in very small font size doesn't help. I'm talking about "Electrical Blackout, Train junction bombed, Crop circles etc". The text which appears on the map itself, not on the log down there even though that one is kinda small too. And my TV is a meter in diameter sitting 1.5m in front of my face. Yes yes dont tell me its bad lol 

City names on geoscape are also very slightly blurred.

While I'm at it, I'm not complaining but the blue squares that indicate the location of a city aren't as nice to look at in comparison to the red circles in X1, according to my personal preferences. But this here is entirely subjective, I realize that, and people have different tastes etc etc.  

Thank you for reading.

I don't think the text in the game is rendered as cleanly as it could be and displaying blocks of text is always hard to do in a readable manner, but it shouldn't be blurred. It sounds like the game is at a different resolution to your monitor / tv, perhaps? If it's displaying at a non-native resolution then you get an effect where the UI isn't as sharp as it should be, so I'd check that in the settings menu as your first port of call.

Frustratingly it's kinda hard to diagnose where the problem might be beyond that, maybe unless you took a photo of the screen with some text up? That way I could say whether that's what the game is meant to look like or not.

EDIT: this is how a city name looks on my monitor, if that helps:

image.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is how I see the Xenopedia. I just noticed that some letters are darker in contrast than others. In other words in a sentence, the contrast varies/jumps from light (normal white I guess) to darker to white to darker. For example, do you see the 2nd word on the first line "Destroyer" - if you zoom in you'll see that the letter "r" is dark, "o" is 2/3 white 1/3 dark, "y" is white. On the 1st line again you have the word "than" which is almost completely dark. My point is the entire text has these variations. The same words and letters will be white in some places and dark in others. Maybe that's why I have trouble reading it. But if you guys don't see it like I do then it's all good because it's only on my end.

825687339_Snapp0213622021-01-0112_24_47.thumb.png.a52a94f0b490b18656e2f58510681805.png

 

Here I just noticed the same contrast problem both in the log and the "Communications disruptions" on the world map. As much as with the green letters in the log as everywhere else, really. Do you have these contrast variations ?

1970324282_Snapp0214942021-01-0218_09_32.thumb.png.4f28abdfb4cf1577143195ff0ec5fd68.png

See the "I" in the name of my base ? Maybe "blurry" wasn't the right term when I first wrote the post.

 

1518204690_Snapp0217542021-01-0516_58_35.thumb.png.0907e20f01fe76e4f155f50ea9630ee1.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I forgot to say. On the screenshot you sent me, Lagos Nigeria looks perfect to me and is perfectly readable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This isn't an uncommon problem. Cities: Skylines has really bad text for me, the only game to do so. The devs have given up on fixing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2021 at 1:13 AM, Praetorian said:

I forgot to say. On the screenshot you sent me, Lagos Nigeria looks perfect to me and is perfectly readable. 

Yeah, there's something badly wrong with that text, particularly on the base labels. What screen resolution are you playing at? I have quite a large 1440p screen so I wouldn't be surprised if the text is less readable on smaller screens / resolutions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I play on the higest the Gaming-Monitors can give (29something to 19something) and have no Problems. Everything else like AA, VSync etc. is on Maximimum too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×