Can you have it where the AI doesn't run in front of a tank during its turn? It seems like they have a death wish when they run between me and a hostile alien that's about to shoot the tank.

It seems like they run around randomly a little much. Or do they run in a general direction (like away from the aliens)?

dorphin: No, all AI is placeholder atm. Goldhawk has had a few troubles with their AI coder. The one they had dropped off the project and the current one joined just before kickstarter so he really hasn't had any time to code anything yet.

Ofc personally I kinda like the stupid civvies. It is a bit nostalgic for me/some =D

What I would really love is a mod-able AI system that would allow people to write plug ins for the AI. Ideally it would be a hook to some popular scripting language. Unlike a real-time game the performance penalty wouldn't really matter.

Chris said something about that a while ago. Hang on a sec, let me find it....

Found it! here's the link

This is what Chris said at the time.

Basically the AI is going to be fully customisable and moddable based on the existing behaviours. The behaviours and preconditions will be hardcoded in the code (and I'm not overly interested in how they work as long as they do), but you can edit how they interact with each other in the XML files as they are all data-driven.

Mind you, that was with the first AI coder they had. How this has changed since Chris had to find another, I don't know.

I'm an experienced (but by no means expert) AI coder, so I would like something with some meat on it rather than just knobs to twiddle. That's just my preference. Of course I want to see this game be as mod-able as possible in every aspect.

Civs are kinda funny in this game, I have seen them run into a alien vessel or directly point blank infront of a alien. What would maybe make sense is if civs had basic weapons like melee (fists) and simple pistols, THEN I would get it, but atm they run in, stand and wait to be shot to death.

Additionally civs need to be more prone to panic, esp if their fist fight attempt with a alien doesn't do much the first couple strikes :)

What I would really love is a mod-able AI system that would allow people to write plug ins for the AI. Ideally it would be a hook to some popular scripting language. Unlike a real-time game the performance penalty wouldn't really matter.

I would absolutely love this too. They're already using Lua, so that's a good start. For truly moddable AI there'd need to be an API for external Lua scripts to get/set AI info/actions. If Goldhawk has recently brought on a new AI coder, this might be the perfect time to change the internals to support that! (or, it might simply be too much work at this stage, fairly close to release)

I think moddable AI at this level would add a lot of longevity to the game. It already looks great and allows a high level of themeing style modding, as well as balance tweaks. But if the AI could be extended over time by fans to support different styles, different tactics for each alien race for example; that would let the real core of the game get better over time.

If a friendly dev is listening - what are the odds of this happening?

I'm not really convinced to make the whole AI code lua based - it could become relatively slow. I don't know if the source code will be released but I'd assume it won't. You could load the AI as dll however, and publish the interface - that would allow full control over the AI, while keeping it still quite fast. Depending on the general code structure, it also shouldn't be hard to do.

As far as I can recall, the AI code Chris brought on board was discussing Hierarchical Finite State Machines, with plenty of options for requisite reactions to scenarios, etc.

I suspect you should be able to get decent performance out of that. Unless you want to break out seriously heavy duty behaviour improvement tools (NNs, GAs), which would probably need some way of quickly repeating combat over & over.