[16.1] Geoscape Base Armory

Challenge

When equipping the troops at the start of the game, I wanted to put Combat Suits on everyone. I use one Infantry to support the Assault team and you had them in the armor. However, I changed out the second one to be a Grenadier. I expected the Combat Suit to be available to assign to someone else (or the one I switched) but it didn't seem to be. When I assigned the two Riflemen to Infantry Roles, both had them. So 4 suits (two each Assault and Infantry) became three suits when I reassigned one Infantry, but increased to five suits when I made 2 Assault and Three Infantry.

You can give everyone a Combat Armor, tested it on all Soldiers which you have in the Beginning (Rifle, Shotgun, Shield, Grenadiers etc.). It worked perfect.

The only Thing is that you have to produce more then the 5 Combat Armors in the Workshop. 5 are the Maximum at the Beginning you get from the Founder States or your Workers for the Soldiers. The best assignment are: the 2 Shotguners, 2 Infantry and the Heavy MG / Sniper at the beginning.

The 2 Standard-Riflemens get to Shield-Barriers with the Combat Shield, which can handle 2 or 3 Direct hits. The Combat Suits are good and are useful for max. 5 or 6 Soldiers.

12 hours ago, Challenge said:

When equipping the troops at the start of the game, I wanted to put Combat Suits on everyone. I use one Infantry to support the Assault team and you had them in the armor. However, I changed out the second one to be a Grenadier. I expected the Combat Suit to be available to assign to someone else (or the one I switched) but it didn't seem to be. When I assigned the two Riflemen to Infantry Roles, both had them. So 4 suits (two each Assault and Infantry) became three suits when I reassigned one Infantry, but increased to five suits when I made 2 Assault and Three Infantry.

Were all the affected units in the dropship? In X2 we're using a system where units don't claim their equipment until they get into the dropship, so you can share one Combat Armour among any number of soldiers who are Unassigned but it won't get claimed until one of them gets moved to the dropship.

The system has some advantages but I am also worried it's going to confuse people, so let me know if that's what is happening here!

Challange means that he wanna putting all his Soldiers in the heavy Combat Armor, but the normal Rifelmens, Grenadiers, Heavys, Snipers have the Standard-Suit. The Shotguners, Infantry have it. That´s confusing him / her. That we can´t do that have many Reasons like the limitation, the Production you have to make and others I announced already.

The cool new Feature is that you can say that other Soldiers have to carry the Armor if the Main-Wearer is in Regeneration, Wounded or Unassinged. And it makes no Sense to put all the Soldiers in such a Heavy Combat Armor, there are better things like a Combat Shield or the MARS-Vehicle very early.

22 hours ago, Challenge said:

Sorry, I've only just read this post properly, it was a bit difficult to follow first time around (although not because you explained it badly).

If I try to reproduce this by swapping the second Infantry in the starting squad to be a Heavy, the Combat Armour seems to be released correctly but the Armour dropdown just doesn't seem to work until you change to a different soldier and come back. That just seems to be a bug that occurs any time you change a soldier's role, though. Would that explain the issue you're having?

They were all in the jump ship. I looked at the number of suits were assigned and set my workshop producing an additional four since four people had the combat suit at the start. My usual role assignments at the start are: 2-Assault, 1 Infantry, 1 Grenadier, 1 Heavy, 2 Rifle, 1 Sniper. I change out one of the Infantry at the start (or whoever has the strength to carry the Launcher) the combat suit vanished from inventory. Since I had four suits to start, I expected to have four for immediate use. But it vanished. So I turned anyone not using a special weapon into Infantry and had three suits for the Assault and Infantry, and two more added in when I assigned the two Rifleman to Infantry -- a total of five suits.

I assign people gear and roles when the aren't in the jumper to save time and organization issues later. I started my second deployment over because when I assigned someone to replace a wounded person the ended up with out a suit. So I'm one of those that find it a bit confusing.

@Alienkiller

The first five troops provide the main force while the last three are flank/reserve. Since any one of those could find themselves in the main force due to injuries or direction of alien contact, I want all my troops to be ready to take the brunt of the attack. This means putting everyone in at least the first level of better armor. The idea of NOT doing so is completely against any tactical doctrine I have ever seen. Without it, by the time the first Medium UFO shows up you can lose a man to one kills.

@Chris

On you recent comment: That might be it. But I still seemed to end up with an extra suit.

Edited by Challenge

11 hours ago, Challenge said:

@Chris

On you recent comment: That might be it. But I still seemed to end up with an extra suit.

You actually start with five combat suits already, but only four are assigned to soldiers. That might be part of the confusion too.

On 1/9/2021 at 3:30 AM, Alienkiller said:

The best assignment are: the 2 Shotguners, 2 Infantry and the Heavy MG / Sniper at the beginning.

Disagree. In my opinion, the most effective tactic at the start is to avoid fighting at medium distances. Therefore, only snipers and shotguns are quite effective. 3 shotguns, 3 snipers, 2 rocket launchers or Mars with rockets and smoke. When there are soldiers with a good accuracy of 60 or more, it is worth to use 3-4 rifles (because they are effective in both: long-range and melee battles)

By the way, at the current settings, machine guns are generally useless in my opinion. They miss the enemy at a long distance, and they do not have enough TU to attack after moving closer to the enemy. As for the suppression of the enemy, it is more effective and TU cheaper to use flash grenades.