Xenonauts-2 December Update

Chris

In the proposed system you can still grind every mission and be rewarded for it. All that has changed is that you have to manage fatigue while doing so. Its not just that you might need, say, more teams, if you are skilled enough to pull off crash sites with a half strength team you would be rewarded with twice the return on investment! Do you stop your A team from resting because you need them to fight a terror site thats just popped up? Importantly the system seems to be leaving open player choice, it may be viable to have different play styles with players finishing 25-100% of crash sites. For me, the strategic interacting with the tactical is the Xcom secret sauce.

I would instead argue a risk with adding a fatigue system is extra complexity, another thing to learn and master is a double edged sword. Is it adding enough to the game to justify the cognitive load? Is it balanced? All part of the gamble of game development, each feature must be executed well!

@Heinlager: The Game is still in buildup. Therefore some Parts aren´t fully ballanced yet, esp. in the Beginning and Mid-Game-Phase. The Endgame isn´t in there yet.

Yes, the fatigute System is a must have to be equal with the competitors. Like I explained in my last Post I´m am Player of that Gerne since about 30 Years with the PC. And some years more with the good old C64 / C128.

In the old Games there couldn´t implemented such a system, therefore the PSI-Attacks and other Death-Systems were overballanced there for your Enemy. Such a similar System other Projects used too (UFO Extraterestials and the UFO-After-Series).

The newer Games ballanced the PSI-Attacks and other Death-Systems, therefore an Alternative have to be there. And it´s better to have an indirect alternative, which were intodruced in the new XCOM-Series and esp. in the newest Game Phoenix Point). In both Games the higher Stress level (Fatigute) let the Soldiers make more Failures / Mistakes. They call it other than Xenonauts 2, but the principle is the same.

All Humans need breaks for shorter or longer. The Advantage from Xenonatus 2 is atm. that the Fatigute System haven´t any limitation on the tactical Missions like in the Rivals.

@Bayonet12: Yes there I aggree, but the Games you can play on Steam again without doing anything (except the Language in X-Com: Interceptor and X-Com: Apocalypse like German, Turkey, Russia etc. you can choose). Not all Games from today (directly Steam, GoG and all the Secure-Things called) or updated Games from Windows with CD-/DVD-Secure-Times or DOS give rewards for the players. That belongs to all Gernes.

The official rewards you get on Steam (which aren´t opend yet during the Beta-Phase and if I´m correctly in the Early Access Phase like in all Games before), which weren´t possible in X1. That will come after the Game is done final.

In the Game self you get rewards in the Game through following:

a) Medals (with time)

b) Graduations (with time)

c) Training (Training Center), which can get upgraded later; get a better long time learning with more Autopsies as well as Interrogations

d) Hospital, which can get upgraded later; let your Soldiers get a better Survival Chance in the tactical Missions (an delicacy against the Rivals)

e) comming Base-Specials for R & D and similar in the next Versions (more then in the direct Rivals)

f) and maybe more which we can´t see yet or isn´t implemented yet (like an Idea I brought in for segmentation and analysis from UFO´s, Androns etc.)

But that you won´t get for looting or doing every Mission in the Game. Maybe such changes will come in an DLC or similar later, belongs what the new and still in development Rivals are doing (UFO2ET and XCOM3).

The Ground Missions in Xenonauts 2 are amazing and thrilling, because you are very long outguned from the Aliens. They will get more thrilling and amazing after the Special Missions get in, which aren´t atm.

OK there is something to do left for the UFO-Recovery-Maps / Terror-Maps / Base-Maps about Failures, Bugs etc. as well as not all Aliens / UFO´s and other Secrets (like Special Missions) aren´t in yet.

4 hours ago, Alienkiller said:

@Bayonet12: Yes there I aggree, but the Games you can play on Steam again without doing anything (except the Language in X-Com: Interceptor and X-Com: Apocalypse like German, Turkey, Russia etc. you

I am not talking about steam rewards.

Grinding in games is like working overtime at work. If you get paid by the hour and work 2 hours longer everyday, plus Saturdays and Sundays, you get paid equal to the hours you've put in.

By no means am I talking about steam rewards. I am talking about the universal belief that you should be rewarded equal to the work you've put in. Since you played older games from DOS days, you might not be aware of what im talking about, but grinding has been mainstream since around 1996.

Why am I talking about this topic so much? Because I was told that players who grind shouldn't be rewarded, which is like saying people who work overtime dont deserve the extra pay.

Then everyone have to be rewarded ingame. The carefully, the workhorse, the ones between etc. etc. etc. And no Development-Studio in Single-Player-Games do that extra work in the past, in our time or in the future.

All get the same announced ingame Rewards (Medals, Graduations, Training-Bonuses, Hospital-Bonuses and other Secrets) you already have or get integrated. The more or less Rewardes every player do ingame get as Steam or other Platform-Rewards, like in 303 Battle for Britain, XCOM, XCOM 2, Phoenix Point, the refited Mafia-Series, etc. etc. etc. That´s the extra Payment you will get.

Direct Multi-Player Games like GTA, World of Warcraft or such get in such Special Rewards ingame, because you play directly with others or what the Reason is therefore. Then you get an DLC or whatever without or with reduced payment or whatever.

15 minutes ago, Alienkiller said:

And no Development-Studio in Single-Player-Games do that extra work in the past, in our time or in the future.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Single player children games from 1996 rewarded players who grinded. 

Other games such as: Baulders Gate, Diablo, Everquest, Pokemon, Final Fantasy, Heros of Might and Magic, the list goes on and on. In all these games players can choose grind and be rewarded. Players can spend as much time as they wanted to level up, farm gear and max themselves. The more time you put into farming/grinding, the more rewards you got.

Same concept as: working overtime, going to the gym, studying, practicing singing, painting, car racing. The more time you invest, the more reward you get, the stronger you get. Im pretty sure we're living in the same planet right? How can what I say be such an alien concept?