v15B Geoscape

Challenge

It´s not a Bug it´s a Feature. You get better Radar-Versions with R & D. After you get a new Building (like the bigger Cousin of the Standard-Radar) and build it, then you get the second ring improvement, if you have enough Power to run it. After that bigger improved Radar is build up, then you can sell the Standard-Radar [scrap the old building or cut it from the Energy-Line]. The same Effect you have with the third Ring [R & D].

Short said: You need only 1 Radar for a base and you can upgrade it with R & D [either you get a new building or upgrade the existing one].

Hope that helps, because it´s not announced in the Game yet.

Edited by Alienkiller

If the radar radius has not increased, there may be several reasons: 1) The construction of the radar has not yet been completed. 2) Insufficient power for radar 3) There was not enough power for the radar at the beginning of its construction, after the construction it is turned off. You need to turn it on by clicking the left mouse button.

14 hours ago, Challenge said:

This shows the range at which my radar picked up the UFO. I have two levels of radar, so the ring should have a bigger diameter.

Here's a screen shot and the save.

auto_strategy_before_intercept-5.json

Thanks. As people above have alluded to, this is a feature rather than a bug - it's just badly explained right now so most players don't know how the radar mechanics have changed.

Basically you get bigger radar ranges in X2 by building more advanced radars that you have to research, so building extra basic Radars doesn't do anything. We just need to add a pop-up when a player tries to build a second Radar of the same type to tell them this.

You are not allone. I did the same Mistake in my first Playtest and rememberd then: "Oh the Radar-Things get changed and I have to research first for longer Ranges and better Dedection.".

If you were in a flow with the Versions before Beta 14 or 15 then that can happen. Many new Researches will get text first, so we all (expect Goldhawk and Chris) don´t know that. But most of it will be clarifyed in Beta 16.

7 hours ago, Challenge said:

Okay. Got it and thanks for the answer. So I wasted resources and time in my attempt to improve response. What unlocks this unexplained research feature?

The first of the upgraded radars is unlocked from the research project UFO Design Analysis, which you get after the first crash site mission.

• 3 weeks later...