[v15.4 air combat] Destroyer chasing retreating airplane out of bounds and killing it

Puciek

So I had a bit of a weird situation, went to intercept a destroyer with low-fuel planes and sure enough few had to retreat. One was already at the edge of the north border and should've escaped easily... except the ufo followed it off-screen and killed it there, and then I heard shot and saw "ANGEL-2" hp go down, while all of them were past the north border. Meanwhile the other plane (ANGEL-1) safely exited through the east boundary. That doesn't sound right to me that a plane gets killed off screen like that? At the time when they started shooting at one another, both models were already past the border.

gruY8VT.png

auto_strategy_before_intercept-7.json

Edited by Puciek

Hmm... That´s strange. Have you a Picture of that in the north?

Will check that in a seperate Test with the new Version. The Devs will check it with the Save.

From what I can see on that Picture, the Plane in the East haven´t reached the Save-Border. If that Message grow up, you are still in the Fighting Part. After you go in the yellowgreen line, the Plane will be save and no shots will hit you from the UFO. The same you get, if the UFO reaches the yellowgreenline.

There is no more north anywhere on my screen, or scrollable as far as I can tell, so whatever is happening it's off screen o.0 (that's complete screencap, i am on ultrawide - 3440x1440 res).

And yea, this was mid-fight screenshot just to demonstrate the screen limits, and described how the fight ended.

Edited by Puciek

7 hours ago, Puciek said:

There is no more north anywhere on my screen, or scrollable as far as I can tell, so whatever is happening it's off screen o.0 (that's complete screencap, i am on ultrawide - 3440x1440 res).

And yea, this was mid-fight screenshot just to demonstrate the screen limits, and described how the fight ended.

That does sound very weird, yeah. Unlike X1 the boundaries of the map are relative to the UFO, though - so if the aircraft and the UFO are travelling at the same speed and in the same direction then the aircraft will never escape. But an Angel is quicker than a Destroyer so I'm not sure why it woudn't have been able to escape ... I think maybe retreating planes fly more slowly perhaps.

Just to be clear though, you're saying that you can't see the entire battlefield by scrolling up? You should be able to do that. Maybe the air combat doesn't handle 21:9 resolutions very well.

6 minutes ago, Chris said:

That does sound very weird, yeah. Unlike X1 the boundaries of the map are relative to the UFO, though - so if the aircraft and the UFO are travelling at the same speed and in the same direction then the aircraft will never escape. But an Angel is quicker than a Destroyer so I'm not sure why it woudn't have been able to escape ... I think maybe retreating planes fly more slowly perhaps.

Just to be clear though, you're saying that you can't see the entire battlefield by scrolling up? You should be able to do that. Maybe the air combat doesn't handle 21:9 resolutions very well.

Since that I've tried scrolling with wasd and directional keys, holding mouse, nothing happens. Anything else you would want me to try?

Re retreat speed, they do seem sluggish on retreat, though can the low fuel be cause of it?

On 12/1/2020 at 8:14 PM, Puciek said:

Since that I've tried scrolling with wasd and directional keys, holding mouse, nothing happens. Anything else you would want me to try?

Re retreat speed, they do seem sluggish on retreat, though can the low fuel be cause of it?

So when I load the save I can move the camera just by clicking and dragging the background. Can you not do that? We should probably add key scrolling too for the camera though.

7 hours ago, Chris said:

So when I load the save I can move the camera just by clicking and dragging the background. Can you not do that? We should probably add key scrolling too for the camera though.

Annoyingly I cannot, nope. I didn't even know that it was supposed to be a thing, but I tried again and no luck.

1 hour ago, Puciek said:

Annoyingly I cannot, nope. I didn't even know that it was supposed to be a thing, but I tried again and no luck.

Weird, I can do that even with your save loaded in a 21:9 resolution. Is there anything unusual about your input setup (or any other unusual hardware)? Or do you just have a standard keyboard + mouse?

5 minutes ago, Chris said:

Weird, I can do that even with your save loaded in a 21:9 resolution. Is there anything unusual about your input setup (or any other unusual hardware)? Or do you just have a standard keyboard + mouse?

I have whole cockpit worth of flight sim hardware plugged in so maybe it's getting input confused with something like the pedals or the yoke, or the controllers, or the MFDs... I will try to unplug it later on and see if that helps, though that is a lot of usb hubs to go through, so bear with me, i'll ping you when I had a chance to test it without them (later in today).

Either way, keys for scrolling will solve it for sure, and seems like more natural idea, and maybe some indication on the screen that it's scrollable?

6 hours ago, Chris said:

Ok I've unplugged everything but mouse and keyboard (there is also VR plugged in but it's off, and to unplug this one would be way too much hassle) and sadly still no ability to scroll. I've checked with dxdiag, no other inputs left besides just the m+k. Tried windowed, full screen, full screen windowed etc, no luck with any of those.