Lift Button

MrAlex

Thanks. You're playing V15.2 though, right? Unfortunately there's a bug in V15.2 where the teleporters just don't work - it's fixed in V15.3 onwards. Any unit that ends their movement on a teleporter should be automatically transported to the corresponding teleporter, so if everything is working correctly they should be quite easy to use and no UI buttons are needed.

18 hours ago, Chris said:

Any unit that ends their movement on a teleporter should be automatically transported to the corresponding teleporter

This partially solves the problem, but not completely. What if another soldier or alien is standing on the other side of the teleport? Will the teleport place 2 or more soldiers in one cell?

On 11/30/2020 at 9:01 PM, Ruggerman said:

I have played this scenario, on version 15.3 and had the same problem, as I tried to ascend the lift and it didn't work, so I moved on, but it did work on other lifts in this Alien Base, just not this one?

It could be that one specific teleporter has been incorrectly set up. If you see an instance where one teleporter isn't working but the others are then please grab a save game and report it as a bug, as it's something I'll want to take a look at!

On 12/1/2020 at 3:06 PM, MrAlex said:

This partially solves the problem, but not completely. What if another soldier or alien is standing on the other side of the teleport? Will the teleport place 2 or more soldiers in one cell?

Yeah, that's true actually - a teleporter won't trigger if the exit tile is already occupied (although I suspect that happens extremely infrequently). But a better fix for that situation would just be to swap the positions of the two units in that case, I think, as that's a lot less work and doesn't involve adding extra UI that would hardly ever be used.

EDIT - actually, currently teleporters do just stack two units on the same tile if the exit tile is already occupied. We'll implement the position swapping to make sure that doesn't become a problem!

On 11/30/2020 at 3:25 PM, Chris said:

Any unit that ends their movement on a teleporter should be automatically transported to the corresponding teleporter, so if everything is working correctly they should be quite easy to use and no UI buttons are needed.

The UI up/down buttons are still very useful. If a soldier arrives on a teleport pad, they magically appear on the other one, that's fine. But what if they want to then teleport back? With a UI button you can send them back directly for the TU cost of a teleport. Without a UI button, you have to step a square off, turn around, step back on (and possibly turn 180° again depending if you care which way you're facing) which is a lot of TU (and potential risk of reaction fire) just to activate the teleporter.

Similarly with jetpacks. It is much easier to go up to the 2nd floor with the UI up/down buttons than without them. 

For now with jetpacks we can get to the floor above only if the game makes a route this way. It is impossible to fly up manually уеt.

Very often the game makes a route up even if the roof over the soldier's head.

Edited by MrAlex

On 12/11/2020 at 10:06 AM, MrAlex said:

Those few teleports that did not work at 15.2 still do not work at 15.4.

On 12/12/2020 at 11:52 PM, MrAlex said:

Similarly with jetpacks. It is much easier to go up to the 2nd floor with the UI up/down buttons than without them. 

For now with jetpacks we can get to the floor above only if the game makes a route this way. It is impossible to fly up manually уеt.

Very often the game makes a route up even if the roof over the soldier's head.

Thanks. If you see a broken teleporter or the jetpack pathing through a solid roof please make a bug report and screenshot the affected tiles. Now we've fixed the teleporter code it'll just mean that there's a specific teleporter / roof tile that's not set up correctly, and that's something I can fix quite easily.

The jetpack isn't currently intended to allow units to hover, just like it didn't in X1. We might consider adding this later in development if people want it but it does create quite a bit of work - units can be killed midair by reaction fire and then their bodies and items have to fall to the ground (which then needs new animations for water etc) and there's other animation / gameplay considerations too. So there are more important things to work on in the short term that would improve the game more.

On 12/11/2020 at 6:45 PM, SoftwareSimian said:

The UI up/down buttons are still very useful. If a soldier arrives on a teleport pad, they magically appear on the other one, that's fine. But what if they want to then teleport back? With a UI button you can send them back directly for the TU cost of a teleport. Without a UI button, you have to step a square off, turn around, step back on (and possibly turn 180° again depending if you care which way you're facing) which is a lot of TU (and potential risk of reaction fire) just to activate the teleporter.

That's true. My main objection to it is that I really don't like the idea of a UI button for something that is used so rarely, but I guess being able to manually trigger the teleporter by using right-click (like opening a door) might give you guys what you want without actually requiring additional UI space?

19 hours ago, Chris said:

able to manually trigger the teleporter by using right-click (like opening a door) might give you guys what you want

This is not a problem. We can simply give the soldier a command to move to the previous teleporter. He will make a teleport without spending extra TU on it.

19 hours ago, Chris said:

The jetpack isn't currently intended to allow units to hover, just like it didn't in X1.

But this is exactly what happens if a soldier sees an alien during a flight, or a player manually stops his flight. The soldier remains in the air and can even shoot from that position (and possibly can be killed midair by reaction fire)