[V15.3 General] Game crashes at new game loading screen

Thrawn

Description: Game crashes to desktop when starting a new game. Loading screen runs till 97%, then game crashes to desktop without any error message.

What happened: Fresh start of game and PC, click "NEW GAME", select "Soldier"difficulty, no tutorial and non iron mode and a random champain name. Game then switches to loading screen and task bar runs to 97%, then the game hangs for a few seconds and crashes to desktop without any error. Changing any of the settings during new game does not help, games keeps crashing every single time. Reinstall of game via GOG galaxy does not fix crash.

Further Information:

• AMD Ryzen 3800X
  • x570 Mainboard
  • 32 GB Ram 3600 Mhz
  • AMD 5700 XT graphicscard (Driver 20.11.1) @WQHD 144hz freesync
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1 TB
  • Windows 10 (Version: 2004) (Build: 19041.630)

Mods: No mods installed, ever

Edited by Thrawn

13 hours ago, Thrawn said:

*snip*

Thanks. So that's a really weird one - I've downloaded V15.3 from GOG and although it doesn't crash the build does freeze up at 99% when loading. I've got no idea why that might happen though because it's exactly the same set of files that were uploaded to Steam and work fine there. I'll do some more testing and see if I can figure out what the issue is.

14 hours ago, Thrawn said:

*snip*

OK - so when I deleted the entire Xenonauts 2 folder from the file system manually and then reinstalled the game, it worked fine. I suggest you try the same, as the autoupdate / uninstall functionality of GOG / Steam doesn't always completely clear out the folder and if there's any old files left then it can interfere with the loading process. So try deleting the whole folder manually and see if that fixes things for you?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2020 at 3:38 PM, Chris said:

OK - so when I deleted the entire Xenonauts 2 folder from the file system manually and then reinstalled the game, it worked fine. I suggest you try the same, as the autoupdate / uninstall functionality of GOG / Steam doesn't always completely clear out the folder and if there's any old files left then it can interfere with the loading process. So try deleting the whole folder manually and see if that fixes things for you?

It fixed it, thanks.