Grenades problem

Juan

I'm not sure if this is a bug or something to may be reworked, but definitively you should teach soldiers that they can trow grenades in a parabolic way. Take a look to attached picture. The grenade can be blocked by that tiny wall, but not by the car which is taller that the former. None of them should block the grenade... unless you pretend doing damage with the collision of the grenade ignoring the fact it will explodes :D

Also, in my general opinion, the range tends to be short, and the general presition is low too.

grenade.png

It´s not a Bug, its a Feature. If you were in the Military, you would know it. The accuray of throwing has many factors in the Game and in Real:

1. Strengh: It isn´t texted in the Soldier-Ability, but the Strengh is the Main Part for your Soldiers to throw Grenades. That Soldier-Ability how far your Soldier can throw the Grenade and how good the Soldier throw it over Blockings. The heavier the Grenade (like the Default Grenade) as well as the more range is between the Soldier and Target then it will be more unaccurate.

2. Accuracy: It isn´t texted in the Soldier-Ability, but the Accuracy is another Main Part to throwing the Grenade. That Soldier-Ability get the Accuracy Part and how exactly the Soldier throw the Grenade. Togehter with the Strengh it decides your Luck to hit the Enemy instead of getting Blocked or not throwing in the wrong direction (hitting your Soldiers).

3. Barriers: That´s the third Feature which will block the Grenade or distract the Grenades from your Target. The first barrier dosen´t make a block normaly (because the Soldiers have enough strengh to throw it over the first Blocking-Part), but at the Second it could be End. Belongs on the Strengh as well as Accuracy of your Soldier and Range to the Target.

Edited by Alienkiller

The real trouble with grenades is that you can't throw them far enough, too get out of the danger zone, so you need to get behind cover, or you could be a casualty of your own grenade!

They are not a direct fire weapon, you use them like a short range mortar, very short ranged. up and over. 

In general, if it is not very difficult, it is desirable to completely change the settings of throwing grenades. On such where it will be necessary to choose a throwing angle (for example scrolling of a scroll). Then, depending on the choice of arc, you can choose the throwing range. Then, when you try to throw a grenade at a great distance (small arc) will be the same obstacles as when firing. And when throwing a large arc for a short distance, you can throw above a impenetrable wall (which now blocks 100% of throwing a grenade), if there is no roof over the soldier.

grenade.png

Edited by MrAlex

I've increased the throwing range of grenades a bit in the most recent hotfix, but they're still being treated as a direct fire weapon for now.

Unfortunately getting the grenade arc right is quite difficult in a world where none of the objects have actual height, but just have blocking chances (i.e. a crate on the ground actually fills the entire tile all the way up to the top, it just blocks say 40% of the shots passing through that tile). But we'll take a look at it in Early Access and see what we can do.

19 minutes ago, Comte Pseudonyme said:

Could it be possible to have the grenade ignore certain cover values and thus lowcover ?

I'm not sure we want that behaviour - to me it makes sense than trying to throw a grenade over a waist-high wall is harder than throwing a grenade into empty space, and there's a higher chance the thrower "misses" and hits the wall instead. But I guess that depends on how far you're trying to throw it - maybe it makes sense to disallow low % cover in the first half of the throw distance or something?

The main issue to me at the moment is that it's not possible to throw a grenade over a normal sized wall because the fire path isn't a lobbed arc, whereas in X1 and in real life you could do that without too much trouble.

Maybe creating a new value for every terrain tile with the chances of grenade block. It should be relative to the soldier position, ie, if he throw a grenade 9 tiles away, the tile 5 (the half) would have the bigger chance to avoid the obstacle, since the grenade would reach the higher point in the middle of the trajectory.

I know, from my own experience, when coding it always sounds easier to say it than doing it :)