Sign in to follow this  
geno

UI/UX discussion

For me the UI is a crucial part of the game, specially in games like this. I don't want to give ideas but I'd like to see other people aproximations to a problem, I made this thread to talk about problems with the current UI design, how to improve it or what you want to change.

These are ny whises so far:

• Merge as many interfaces as you can. To manage soldiers you are switching between 3 tabs and I think it's better to have as many options as possible available at a glance.
  • Soldier UI at ground combat is not as intuitive as it should. My problem with this one is how it's not clear what weapon is selected. Maybe you can put the selected weapon at the top and the other behind it but with this system you lost the convenience of having all the fire modes displayed? I also would like the pathline to wotk like it does in OpenXCom. It would be great if it displayed at what point you can still make the different shoot modes, in the current itineration it only works if you have the overwatch mode activated
  • Make the UI thematically coherent with the game art/theme. Some trend I really dislike in modern games is how the interface is becoming more phone-like.

There's probably more things I'm forgetting but these are my main concerns.

Thanks. Yes, I think it's valuable to have a thread where people can post up their comments on the UI as we're now at the stage where we can spend time improving the usability. I'm actually working on some updates to the strategic UI that might arrive in V15 if all goes well.

Generally, the most useful comments for us are those that highlight specific parts of the UI that are difficult to use - something requires too many clicks, or the information isn't displayed clearly, or it's not really obvious how a piece of UI works. Also places where you would like to have more information available, but the information you need is hidden away on another screen (or just not displayed anywhere at all).

When you spend a long time working on any game you slowly become blind to usability issues, so player feedback is definitely appreciated here.

2 hours ago, geno said:
  • Merge as many interfaces as you can. To manage soldiers you are switching between 3 tabs and I think it's better to have as many options as possible available at a glance.
  • Soldier UI at ground combat is not as intuitive as it should. My problem with this one is how it's not clear what weapon is selected. Maybe you can put the selected weapon at the top and the other behind it but with this system you lost the convenience of having all the fire modes displayed? I also would like the pathline to wotk like it does in OpenXCom. It would be great if it displayed at what point you can still make the different shoot modes, in the current itineration it only works if you have the overwatch mode activated
  • Make the UI thematically coherent with the game art/theme. Some trend I really dislike in modern games is how the interface is becoming more phone-like.

I think you make a good point about it not being clear which weapon is selected; I remember Max Caine complaining about this some time ago too actually. We need some kind of highlight over the currently selected weapon and we probably also need to make selection "sticky" so you don't have to reselect a secondary weapon each time you want to fire a shot with it.

Would you mind explaining a bit more about your issues with the soldier screens? You're presumably switching between the Soldier tab, the Soldier Equip screen, and which other screen? And could you give me a rough idea of what information would you like to have on each screen that is currently not being shown? Thanks.

I'm counting the dropship tab too, I usually make changes before a mission. I'd like to equip soldiers when I'm at the dropship. I noticed an improvment at the Soldier tab and I find myself spending more time here since you can manage most of the basic stuff and is way easier and faster to check soldiers here than in the equip tab, I'm happy with how it works right now. I also think that making two columns for soldier stats or using different colors in the equip tab should make it more readable.

But his is just how I feel about it, other players should have a better vision about this and you need to contrast our opinions.

In the Point of the Battlefield Maps I agree fully with you Geno. The first upgrades there are good but not exellent. There have to be done more upgrade Work to the planed Early Access. I personaly don´t know how to make it better in the short time (3 Month) the Devs have planed for an Early Access.

But I don´t agree in the 3 already implemented Soldier-Equipment Screens at the Base. They are stable now after the other 5 or 6 Betas and light to manage. More Cooking in that will bring us back to an unstability Beta 7 or 8, which bring the Early Access to a Minimum State in Winter 2021 again. The only thing I agree is to make it more graphically better and manage the light remaining Bugs there, which can be done to the planed Early Access Status.

The Equipment Screen of your Soldiers is exellent as it is NOW, because it´s stable, the remaining small bugs are not play relevant and you have everthing you need in the the 3 Options:

1. in the Dropship (where you can split the Soldiers / Vehicle on seperate Entrys)

2. in the Crew Quarter in the Fast Chance in Sniper, Heavy, Grenadier or whatever (without the normal Equipment Screen) and

3. in the normal Equipment Screen (where you can Equip your Soldiers Calmly)

Edited by Alienkiller

On 11/7/2020 at 1:00 PM, geno said:

I'm counting the dropship tab too, I usually make changes before a mission. I'd like to equip soldiers when I'm at the dropship. I noticed an improvment at the Soldier tab and I find myself spending more time here since you can manage most of the basic stuff and is way easier and faster to check soldiers here than in the equip tab, I'm happy with how it works right now. I also think that making two columns for soldier stats or using different colors in the equip tab should make it more readable.

But his is just how I feel about it, other players should have a better vision about this and you need to contrast our opinions.

Thanks. Unfortunately with the soldiers the biggest problem is just how much space there is on the screen, so being able to properly edit the equipment anywhere except on the Soldier Equip screen isn't going to be possible - there's just not enough space to show all the available item slots and the various items that could go in them.

I guess I should also ask how you change the equipment of your soldiers - do you use the role / loadout system to update them to new loadouts by switching them from say a Rifleman to a Sniper? If so then maybe we could allow the player to change the role of the soldier on the dropship screen too. Would that be something useful to you?

When you say "I also think that making two columns for soldier stats or using different colors in the equip tab should make it more readable" I'm not quite sure what you mean. Could you explain that any more, or maybe take a quick screenshot of what you mean?

2 hours ago, Chris said:

I guess I should also ask how you change the equipment of your soldiers - do you use the role / loadout system to update them to new loadouts by switching them from say a Rifleman to a Sniper? If so then maybe we could allow the player to change the role of the soldier on the dropship screen too. Would that be something useful to you?

That could be useful (I'm already using the change role option in the soldier menu). I guess you can try it at some itineration and see how players react to it.

2 hours ago, Chris said:

When you say "I also think that making two columns for soldier stats or using different colors in the equip tab should make it more readable" I'm not quite sure what you mean. Could you explain that any more, or maybe take a quick screenshot of what you mean?

Something like this

imagen_2020-11-08_195254.thumb.png.95d0b5cc36285ec90a3866aef1bbfc73.png

Honestly all these things looked better in my head.

Yup, not a huge fan of those updates to the soldier panels - it's stuff I've already experimented with in the past and found it didn't work very well.

I'll have a think about the ability to change soldier role / loadout on the dropship screen then. Future people reading this post - let me know if you think it might be useful given that you can't easily see the stats of the soldier on the dropship screen (which makes me wonder how you would choose what loadout to give them).

I noticed that you can't sue arrows to navigate between soldiers in te equip soldiers tab like you could do in the first game (it would be nice if we could use w/a aswell). In the equip soldier tab, when you are checking weapons info in the pop-up window, could we also see the equipped weapon info? Or some way to compare both weapons?

Group saves by campaing would and delete multiple saves at once would be nice.

Edited by geno

On 11/9/2020 at 8:01 PM, geno said:

I noticed that you can't sue arrows to navigate between soldiers in te equip soldiers tab like you could do in the first game (it would be nice if we could use w/a aswell). In the equip soldier tab, when you are checking weapons info in the pop-up window, could we also see the equipped weapon info? Or some way to compare both weapons?

Group saves by campaing would and delete multiple saves at once would be nice.

All good points. The first thing is very easy to do so hopefully we can introduce that in V15, the other two issues I'll create tasks for but will likely take a bit longer.