[v14.1 Ground combat] Can't rotate the camera at certain angle

geno

It happens oftern if not always, but when I press Q or E to rotate the camera, there's an angle that don't let me still rotating the camera or just jump to the next angle.

I'm using 45º rotation. The camera stops rotating when I press Q, when I press E it jumps to the next angle.

(I already posted this in the discord but I made an account here just in case)

quick-2.json

23 hours ago, geno said:

It happens oftern if not always, but when I press Q or E to rotate the camera, there's an angle that don't let me still rotating the camera or just jump to the next angle.

I'm using 45º rotation. The camera stops rotating when I press Q, when I press E it jumps to the next angle.

(I already posted this in the discord but I made an account here just in case)

quick-2.json

Thanks. If I load the save though I can rotate the camera with Q / E totally fine, each press does a proper 45 degree rotation. Are you able to consistently reproduce the issue by loading that save?

I downloaded the hotfix and I have the same problem in the first mission, reloading doesn't fix the problem. I verified files integrity. Tomorrow I'll try to reinstall the game and see if this is still happen. I uploaded a pic with the exact position where the camera can't rotate to the left.

Edit: I've uploaded the log file too.

quick-1.json

20201104223430_1.jpg

output.log

Edited by geno

14 hours ago, geno said:

I downloaded the hotfix and I have the same problem in the first mission, reloading doesn't fix the problem. I verified files integrity. Tomorrow I'll try to reinstall the game and see if this is still happen. I uploaded a pic with the exact position where the camera can't rotate to the left.

Edit: I've uploaded the log file too.

quick-1.json

output.log

Thanks. Just to check what you said in the original post that I missed first time around - you're using a custom rotation increment then?

It's usually set to 90 degrees but you're using a custom 45 degree increment instead?

15 minutes ago, Chris said:

Thanks. Just to check what you said in the original post that I missed first time around - you're using a custom rotation increment then?

It's usually set to 90 degrees but you're using a custom 45 degree increment instead?

I just changed the rotation in the options menu to 45°. If I change the camera rotation to the default 90° then it works correctly but if I switch it again to 45° the problem is still here. 

I also deleted the config files but nothing changed.

I have also experienced this bug. When the rotation angle is set to 45 degrees, it skips the 5th position to the right (225 degrees) from the default start position and when rotating left it stops before that same position. When set to 30 degrees, it skips the 7th position left of default (210 degrees) and also stops before that same position when rotating left. Free rotation and 90 degree steps have no such issues. This has been persistent for all the V13 and V14 builds I've played. I have not played previous versions and so cannot determine how long this has been an issue.

Ah, sorry, should have replied earlier. Yeah, this is probably just an issue with any custom rotation angle.

I'm sure we can fix it, but on reflection I'm not sure if we want to allow custom rotation angles - lots of things in 3D are actually handled with 2d billboards that are faced towards the camera, and I don't know if you'll get weird effects with a non-standard rotation angle.

Out of interest, why do you guys not use the standard 90 degree rotation?

7 hours ago, Chris said:

Ah, sorry, should have replied earlier. Yeah, this is probably just an issue with any custom rotation angle.

I'm sure we can fix it, but on reflection I'm not sure if we want to allow custom rotation angles - lots of things in 3D are actually handled with 2d billboards that are faced towards the camera, and I don't know if you'll get weird effects with a non-standard rotation angle.

Out of interest, why do you guys not use the standard 90 degree rotation?

For me it's just a convenience. Free camera rotation is one of the most popular mods in XCOM 2 so I guess it's not only me. It may not have a great impact in gameplay but when it's not available I wish I could put the camera exactly where I can't. Sometimes it helps to read the scene.

Sorry to hear the graphical issues, I really appreciate the aesthetics you achieved with the fixed camera (I noticed how it changed from the open demo) I'd rather have the isometric view than the angled one from the demo.

4 hours ago, Alienkiller said:

I aggree with Chris in that Point.

After everything is stable, ballanced etc. and all Maps are done, then the other 2 Degree rotations can be fixed for the Gamestage.

Therfore you have only the option to use the bugfree 90 Degree rotation.

I get what you say and of course these are the priorities, but at some point they'll have to manage these issues despite how minor these could be. Anyway, reading the devblogs it seems things are going well and with a reasonable rythm.

Edited by geno