Any plans to make X2 available for purchase again?

Hi, so I know that y'all closed purchases because you'd be launching into early access in the "next few months". But it's been more than a few since then and I think we're still more than a few away from EA at the moment?

I don't really mind because we all know game dev is a finnicky thing. Plus COVID is a pain. I just wish I could purchase the beta so I can help test the game. Would it be possible for me to give you my money?!

Anyway, keep up the good work.

Edited by andy079
  • Like 2

Sorry for the late Answer.

Not for the internal Beta-Test, which are availible only for Backers. That´s defenitely sure.

An Early Access for the Public it could be possible again, which will start (who it looks now from what we have found in the Betatest and other big Reworks) first in 2021. Looks like its more work then the Devs and her Helpers thought. We are waiting for the Beta 14 too.

We Backers can´t look in the Future and know what elements are in or not in the Game when the next Beta and / or monthly DevDeray comes out. Only the Goldhawk-Team is deciding whats come next and from what we know it´s deciced to make an Early Access after the Game is playable and Stable enough, which it isn´t yet after first bigger refits.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/20/2020 at 9:20 PM, andy079 said:

Hi, so I know that y'all closed purchases because you'd be launching into early access in the "next few months". But it's been more than a few since then and I think we're still more than a few away from EA at the moment?

I don't really mind because we all know game dev is a finnicky thing. Plus COVID is a pain. I just wish I could purchase the beta so I can help test the game. Would it be possible for me to give you my money?!

Anyway, keep up the good work.

Hi Andy, sorry for the slow reply (hopefully you'll get to read it at some point) but I've been off the forums for a while. We're still not sure exactly when we'll be going into Early Access and, yeah, we probably are still a few months away yet. A "few months" could be anything from early January to April, though - sorry for continuing to be vague.

Thankfully we're now in a position now where we could theoretically launch into Early Access at reasonably short notice because the game is starting to feel reasonably decent to play, but the better the game is the better the Early Access launch is likely to go. We're still in a position where when I sit down and start playing the campaign I can see a number of systems that clearly aren't quite working properly and I want to iron out those issues before we pull the trigger on the EA launch (as well as continuing to add new art), but unfortunately it's a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" situation as to how long that will take.

I want to iron out those issues before we pull the trigger on the EA launch

Hi Chris, thanks for the detailed response. You should totally take your time with Early Access, but I was wondering if I could buy into the pre-EA closed alpha going on currently? Probably a silly thing to ask though, and a waste of development time to set up. 

Edited by andy079

Andy079, yeah I know too how frustrating that can be to wait for something new. And we need time to make the Game stable to give you and the others a very interessting game with replay-effects.

An good Example how not to do is the new Aquanox: Deep Decent. There everything done wrong what could be done wrong in Storyline, Playability and so on. European Shool Grades for that game is 4 (adequate) to 5 (faulty).

That the Devs from X2 and UFO 2 Extraterestials (both still in Development) wanna avoid.

On 10/23/2020 at 7:10 AM, andy079 said:

Hi Chris, thanks for the detailed response. You should totally take your time with Early Access, but I was wondering if I could buy into the pre-EA closed alpha going on currently? Probably a silly thing to ask though, and a waste of development time to set up. 

I think we'll be announcing an Early Access date in the fairly imminent future so hopefully this won't be necessary.

Also, although it sucks for people like you, it makes sense for us to maintain a certain amount of pent-up demand for our Early Access launch because the main driver of whether you get featured on the Steam front page these days is how many people are buying your game, so we need a bunch of people buying the game on EA launch day to ensure we get some kind of frontpage feature (at which point loads more interested people start seeing the game and buying it).

On 10/31/2020 at 4:20 AM, Chris said:

I think we'll be announcing an Early Access date in the fairly imminent future so hopefully this won't be necessary.

Also, although it sucks for people like you, it makes sense for us to maintain a certain amount of pent-up demand for our Early Access launch because the main driver of whether you get featured on the Steam front page these days is how many people are buying your game, so we need a bunch of people buying the game on EA launch day to ensure we get some kind of frontpage feature (at which point loads more interested people start seeing the game and buying it).

Roger that