Civilians - please I want to be able to shoot them

Quick request and to see what others think of the civilians. I like them and it is cool to see a cop or ai soldier kill an alien but for the love of all things Holy. Please stop them from running back and forth every turn. My eyes are hurting watching my screen shake when they run. I've only started playing and by my second battle I was actively thinking of ways to kill them myself to stop them from acting like chickens with their heads cut off.

Maybe my computer is too fast but literally my eyes started hurting watching the screen pan all over the place as this poor scared soul ran left (screen pan) than right (screen pan) then left (screen pan) then back (screen pan), etc.

As a suggestion can you change the camera behavior so that it doesn't center (pan) the screen with every square a civi moves? Maybe only pan the camera if the civi gets to within 2 (or so) squares of an edge.

Either that or more of my soldiers are going to start carrying rockets to fry em.

Thanks and great job with the game...

I wish they wouldn't run right for fire and get themselves killed. You can't kill them yourself? I remember I was able to kill friendly troops. I think you might be able to cause explosions next to them, then they will suicidally run into the fire and get killed.

The camera could use some work that's for sure. I've been having the same problem as the OP, though I find it more annoying than eye-wrenching. Also wish the camera for when it is the alien's turn focused on your soldiers being shot than the alien itself.

"does this guy want to have the option to deliberately shoot civilians?". Having read the contents of your opening post, I can see that isn't true. But it's quite misleading!

Whew! I thought that the ability to shoot them down like an alien sympathiser had been removed there. As posted, I'm sure this will be better with the later builds. However, original EU had them running around like complete idiots almost so much, that it's pretty faithful.

• 2 weeks later...
Quick request and to see what others think of the civilians. I like them and it is cool to see a cop or ai soldier kill an alien but for the love of all things Holy. Please stop them from running back and forth every turn.

I think civilians running away from the alien threat is helpful/realistic - they run away from/I go in that direction - but agree the way they seem to randomly run around curretnly can be frustrating.

I think civilians running away from the alien threat is helpful/realistic - they run away from/I go in that direction - but agree the way they seem to randomly run around curretnly can be frustrating.

This so hard. I just did a battle this morning where a civilian ran directly in front of an alien, who then promptly shot him in the face. Some chaos is a good thing, but the civilian AI needs worked a bit. What if civilians generally run away from aliens towards either other civilians and/or armed friendly units, so long as they don't feel surrounded (define surrounded as being within such a radius of an alien). If a civilian is surrounded, then let them panic and run in a random direction, or just hide in a corner.

Also, I don't know how feasible this is, but it would be nice to be able to yell orders or rudimentary directions to NPCs, i.e. get behind us, run N/S/E/W. Been a number of times where I just wanted to yell at a civie to get hell out of the way.

Last night, I had a civillian run back and forth beween two patches of fire until she died. In the same mission, another civillian, clearly a member of the Committee for the Liberation and Integration of Terrifying Organisms and their Rehabilitation Into Society kept running in front of an alien I wanted to shoot.

Only that was in Xcom: UD.

So that's alright then, is it?

2 Things:

1: The AI is currently placeholder and basic, it's gonna be superior for the full game.

2: You're probably getting a stun rod for the full game, so feel free to use it on them.