Zoom level & other Q's

Hey guys, just have a few questions. I've been following this game since before kickstarter and I always like to help where I can and give ideas:

1: Will there be ground combat zoom levels in X2 or will it be fixed? If its the latter I don't mind for consistency but viewing the current new images on steam I feel they are "too zoomed out" at default losing a lot of definition and scaling of the xenonauts/aliens from an aeroplane like perspective. I could be in the minority of this, but could be worth a look into. If you download an image and increase its zoom by 20% it seems spot on(you can appreciate the detail in objects and inside buildings).

2: Are height maps being looked at? I remember creating a thread about this before kickstarter but there seemed to be restrictions on how the cover system worked, but Chris mentioned recently it was fixed. Alien base assaults/craft and buildings still look like flat corridors with added decor. Stairs don't always need to symbolise going from one floor to another(i.e multiple height points on the same floor or open upper levels/boardwalks), or could be used for visual variety.

3: Considering its current state, are there any ideas on how the Global map will change? X1 took the path of showing the world as a flat map showcasing all continents on screen, but this lead it to be very static. The Xcom series took a globe approach but this has been done to death. X2 could expand on the first but create a more zoomed in perspective so when events happen, the camera could pan and zoom on new alerts around the map for action sequences or following alien craft. I can also imagine a slight 3D curve to the map, but NOT a globe. This would look great.

4: Could this idea be expanded upon for more RPG elements? Would be a big job though 

5: Expanding on the World map idea and considering the ants nest base building was removed, perhaps a slightly zoomed base with panning and when clicking on buildings it would center it, or maybe a slight isometric view. This was a late idea although the main goal I'm thinking is to create a less static feel and something that feels alive. 

I  guess my main TLDR is: camera zoom being lower/higher can create opportunities for panning and dynamic zooming creating less static gameplay. Simple but can be effective.

Thanks!

Other camera panning ideas:

- When starting a new game the entire map is viewable, you select your base location then it zooms down and a briefing window appears to which the game commences. Any alien activity would be viewable with in this cone and expands as you get better radar tech. As craft appears it would smooth center screen to which it follows it until you break the camera movement with your mouse.

- Back ground images in the research a manufacturing tab could have mouse movement effects similar to this vid. Or could be scaled down to only work when further more to the right of left for a subtle effect.

- Selecting a base and entering it zooms down to its location like your entering at a ground level.

- Hitting space bar? can quick zoom out on the map to view it entirely for global issues and multiple/simultaneous events occuring. You could be a world commander at this point for tension and selecting other bases creating a mini game?, but main gameplay still consists of being closer to the continent where your base is for alien threats that appear(realistically any frequent threats that appear would only occur around your radar while the rest is wasted screen space). Multiple bases would need some thinking and some form of restrictions so only certain things can be initiated through continent vs world view.

- Terror sites and random events now feel they are "isolated" from your position as the camera would smooth pan to it from the continent view. When sending a drop ship its followed to the site similar to Xcom Enemy Unknown.  

Again these are just suggestions, but could be a cheap way to implement for improved dynamics over the original yet building on what already exists. 

Edited by roxxed

7 hours ago, odizzido said:

If we could zoom in and our like you can in supreme commander I would be happy

Exactly what i was thinking. Could be an interesting way to add depth to the geoscape with a somewhat isometric view when zoomed in for encounters, but the outer layer is controlling global issues. Does not have to be detailed or be accurate to real life. Infact its minimalistic drawn look would fit X2 nicely:

This is a map I found of population density in Australia. Could be an idea to represent X2's funding locations and places to defend. In this case though my base is not defending the east coast lol

dx5824cgx7w41.jpg

Edited by roxxed