Suggestion: Different Endgame Approach

So it doesnt matter if it is the Xenonauts ending, FiraComs ending, or X-Coms ending, i dislike them all their final mission design. You successfully or unsuccessfully do the final mission and then the game tells you

"Game`s over. Cya til next next time. Now leave !"

It doesnt

• let you take a last look at your soldiers. Inbase or in a mission.
  • It doesnt let your savor the people who survived the last mission.
  • It doesnt let you do some more missions if you wish so.
  • It doesnt let you do some more aircombat, if you wish so.

It has a lot of this 1990-style games when at a certain point in your game you will get a "Game Over" screen and then the credits roll. But since we are already some decades past that and i feel like the "Edngame" missions are purely held onto for legacy reasons i would like to suggest the following.

[] Transform the final mission from a do or die mission into a challenge mission players can attempt multiple times, and fail-until-they-succeed in it. This suggestion obviously means you cant stop time as you did in X1.
[] Let the player normally continue the game, justifying it by "strangler UFOs and independent alien activity" after the final mission. This way players can savor the game for some additional gameplay if they wish to go onto a few more missions. Mechanically nothing would change after the final mission, unless you want to implement some post Endgame changes like a stopped timer, or removing relatiomnnhip damage from alien activity. But the basic idea is to continue the game after the final mission as it would be without it. Releasing the player into an unrestrained adventure and showing off some more of the game.

• Like 1

Or maybe have the invaders launch an all-out assault once the mothership/whatever it is we need to kill is destroyed. Battleships coming in in the dozens, alien air superiority wings, base attacks with hordes of Androns and Heavy Drones every few days, Reaper hives that have to be cleared out... but maybe the fact that you completed Endgame finally puts the trust of the Council in you, and you get much increased funding. Or maybe the opposite approach happens, where random straggler UFOs (as you said) come in, but they're all different types and their crew of different races. Some things just need to be done for the sake of cool (like an idea I had for a mod for X1 where you could escape the alien bases in the light scout that sometimes was generated). 

This isn't quite what you want Charon, buuuut, from the May update:

I personally have spent most of my non-management time working on the threads about our plans for the game and the research text for the plot research, which so far is 12 research reports / plot-related pop-ups. There's probably another 5 or 6 optional research projects that I need to write that will unlock an alternate ending (for people who like reading research text). These form the foundations of who the aliens are and their capabilities and intentions, which then feeds into all the other research text. I'm aiming to get the early game research text done in the near future so the first 10-15 researches are all properly written up - again, I think it's important that the initial content is in place even if the entire research tree isn't written.

I would love to beat alien stragglers after the final mission. Maybe some lore explanation where without the mothership, the aliens effectively become a huge refugee crisis with more zealous ones act as a guerrilla army hinding in any country willing to support them. If the faction features get brought back, I sure hope to see how humanity forever changed by the war and xenonauts influence. Something like paths where you take over the coalition or help one side to win the Cold War. All based on how much you support certain regions. The post game could have you further consolidate power by crushing any rebelling regions against the new world government.

For instance, some post-USSR red army soldiers that allied with the alien guerrilla to take over a city and the xenonauts can go in and stop it in a NATO playthrough. Or maybe Xenonauts striking a criminal gang using smuggled alien tech in New York in a neutral playthrough.

it could be cool to also see maps that portray the post-war situation with huge District 9-type alien cities built from ship wreckage with alien civilians as well.