Locking Thread

Can we lock the thread "Has the community dragged this game back to Xenonauts 1" now?

The post was made last year and the conversation has long since moved past what the title said. Lots of topics brought up inside of it get buried. If we locked that thread, people would make new threads discussing their own ideas and it would be a lot easier to read the suggestions.

I know this a weird way to ask for this, but these forums don't have a DM feature so this is the best way I can think of to request this.

• Like 1

No.

Because it sets a dangerous precedent. "Hey, lock this thread, it was about weapon asymettry and they've spent two pages arguing about what's better, an AK47 and an M16". "No". "Why not, you did it last time." This isn't r/gaming, I don't want to set precedents that can be abused to shut down discussion, or target people through malicious actions. I am tempted to hive off discussion on that particular thread and start new threads, but I won't lock a thread unless I have to. 

EDIT: And you can message me directly with such requests. Click on my name. 

On 5/8/2020 at 8:41 AM, Max_Caine said:

No.

Because it sets a dangerous precedent.

Absolutely correct! Veering off topic slightly is better than not allowing people a voice. It isn't really friendly to ask mods to lock a topic anyway. If you don't want to read it then don't! If the mods think a topic should be locked then that is part of their job. 

Let me tell you a brief story. I love War Thunder. But I use a joystick/pad as opposed to mouse. The mouse basically lets you fly like a UFO. At one point there were many like me playing (years ago) - our squadron had 200 alone. Now we have... 3. Why? Because when we started topics to try to get some fair play all the mouse players jumped on and ridiculed us, saying the game was built for mouse aim so we should use it (it wasn't actually). They started arguments in our threads, the mods were mostly on their side and didn't want the hassle, so our threads all got locked and our voice wasn't heard. 

Many left, gave up the fight, and even though we fly and fight with an aircraft resembling aircraft controls (whilst mouse aimers fly what basically amounts to a UFO with anti-grav), WE are made to look like the idiots! That is the only major flaw of WT. It's like bringing a knife to a gunfight. Now, years later, approx. 40% of the player base use joypads because they are console players; because many don't have a mouse and keyboard they get the proverbial kicked out of them, and many don't know why (because they were never told about the control discrepancies).

And THAT'S why it sets a dangerous precedent! Not saying anything like that will happen here of course. There is no control issue here. But the point is we were not allowed a voice there. If people are discussing the game or topic loosely, isn't that better than them not discussing it at all? Isn't that what a forum is for? That's why I'm so against people asking mods to lock threads etc. For bad language or for people who want to rant at Chris etc. then it's obvious what a mod will do (happened a few weeks ago actually and Max told the guy where to do, as did Chris - and they were absolutely right to!).

Edited by ooey

Um, not to get too off-topic, but as a proud PC gamer your argument about War Thunder and not using a mouse causes me physical rage.

I mean, you said fly like a UFO, that sounds like an Arcade problem and not a mouse problem.

Also the fact that the mouse is better than the controller just proves that it is, and if console people get salty about being at a disadvantage for refusing to use a superior control scheme, that's their fault, not ours

• Sad 1

I think what he's talking about (and what I've heard) is that Warthunder has advanced controls designed for joystick, but you have the option to fly with the "simple control mode" which is much more powerful.

And joystick is much better for flying. But only for flying.

Mouse is much better than thumbsticks. But keyboard is much worse than gamepad-buttons, unless you have so many buttons that they won't fit on the pad, which is very rare when considering things like L2+A. Numpad is nice for some games.

I don't want to go too of topic but no that's not what I mean at all. The worst possible thing you can do in a multi-player game is throw disparate control systems together. If it causes you physical rage then how do you think I feel when you can turn a spitfire twice as fast as i can with a joystick even with simple controls?! Go ahead and try it if you have a joystick.

The mouse and keyboard (and instructor) allows you to do things that aircraft just can't do (helicopter climb for instance). And with a joystick I can't do them either. I've used both control methods in the past and I'm afraid, yes, the mouse +KB does allow you to fly a WWII aircraft like a UFO. Put a joystick or even a pad in your hand though, and you can even feel the difference between a Spitfire and a Hurricane.

Thank goodness we don't have any control issues here :). But I don't want to get into an argument about that here. That's all over now, and I think Gaijin lost a lot of revenue over it. We were never trying to alter the gameplay for those wishing to use an alternative method of control to us, but sadly the mentality of many saw it as that and attacked us. If the boot were on the other foot and you couldn't compete in a game you liked playing then you would feel like that too would you not?

Edited by ooey