Xenonauts-2 April Update

Hello everyone - I've been rather quiet on these forums for the past couple of months, but here's an update to keep you all posted on our progress.

The reason why I've not been posting much on the forums in recent times is because I was lucky enough to welcome my daughter into the world just over five weeks ago. I took two weeks as paternity leave and then returned to work, but learning how to work from home with a baby around has been quite a learning experience for me! Although I am able to fit a full working day in around the babysitting, my time is more limited than before and I've had to be much more focused on game development, which means I've spent less time on the forums than normal. However, I'm starting to use my phone and laptop in quiet moments in the evenings and this hopefully will give me a bit of time each day to browse the forums and catch up on a bit of research writing.

So, basically, the lack of activity here does not indicate lack of activity on the game. It's just that interaction with the community is the first thing to get squeezed out of my schedule when I'm short on time. 

What have we been working on over the past two months? Quite a few things:

• Implemented the new armour / penetration system
  • Improved the way grenade scattering works so its more sensible
  • Reworked the ground combat inventory so it works better and displays a lot more information
  • Improved the way the Soldier Equip and dropship soldier arrangement screen works
  • Set up the local forces to upgrade their equipment based on your research efforts
  • Got the EliminateVIP missions functioning (although they still need proper maps)
  • Done some more research text writing and added a couple more research images
  • Added jetpacks to the game
  • Fixed the issue where weapons in backpack didn't properly contain ammo (which also lays the foundations for modular weapons)
  • Added a simple geoscape Agent system that allow you to boost Relations in a specific region
  • Designed a couple of new UFOs

You'll be seeing more of those new things in the next week or two when we put out a new build, but for once I'm actually going to stick to my plans and only write a short update. I just want you all to know that we've not forgotten you! ;)

• Like 2

Congratulations on your daughter, Chris! I imagine you're barely getting any sleep now and of course working from home is quite the challenge with a newborn. 

Also good to know that development is proceeding apace. Looking forward to V13 with what looks to be a fairly feature complete Geoscape. 

Congratz Chris! I hope everyone is well, and I can only recommend going easy on yourself in terms of workload and spending as much time as you can with your little wonder. They grow up so quickly!

When you find the time, could you explain how the new grenade scatter mechanism works?

From me too Congratulations to the birth of your Daughter Chris, esp. in this Time. Hope you and your Family all are well. Yes it´s true that a new born Child makes many work in the first 2 to 3 years, but you will have fun with your daughter. But be warned: She is learning faster then a Boy in the first years of growing up.

And it´s good to hear that the Game is growing too with new Features and missing things. It´s good too that the Game is still in Beta-Phase, so we can fix and test the stability with all new implemented and already existing Features longer.

What belongs the new Armor / penetration system, there are some Ideas. I tested the last Time the Game Phoenix Point and the new Armor System works there very cool. There you can disable Body Parts, like Legs, Arms and so on. Maybe that´s an Idea we can bring in in Xenonauts 2 too (maybe in an DLC later on).

Edited by Alienkiller

• 3 weeks later...

@ VitaminK: I think they are working on the next Beta Version 13. This should come 1 or 2 Weeks ago, but a good Version of a Game need time. But doesen´t matter, we Betas need a little break too. And one more thing, that are not EA News, they are Development News what is comming in the next Version of the Game. Like an little Patchlog with the Mainimprovements, Reworks and such.