A few questions

Andre27

First off is one which might be vanilla but I'll ask here: Can you gain accuracy when using reaction fire? Or just reflex?

Second question: How does CE change bravery gain mechanics, I've noticed that you might be gaining it when anything reduces the blue morale bar, such as suppression, even if it is your own soldiers doing the suppression (making sniper rifles an excellent weapon to train bravery on others).

Third question: How exactly does reaction fire work in general? I understand that your initiative which is a function of percentage remaining TU, reflexes, and weapon modifier, needs to be higher than the aliens initiative. What I am wondering about is how the soldier decides which type of attack to use and whether they will use reaction fire when allies are in the line of fire, in addition to whether they will use it on mind controlled allies and if they can use squad sight for reaction shots.

Thank you.

12 hours ago, Andre27 said:

First off is one which might be vanilla but I'll ask here: Can you gain accuracy when using reaction fire? Or just reflex?

Shooting at aliens should contribute for accuracy increases regardless of whether it's reaction fire or normal fire.

Second question: How does CE change bravery gain mechanics, I've noticed that you might be gaining it when anything reduces the blue morale bar, such as suppression, even if it is your own soldiers doing the suppression (making sniper rifles an excellent weapon to train bravery on others).

Correct, X:CE allows suppression to contribute to bravery increases. Without that change, bravery would very rarely increase - the only other way is to experience morale events, and those are rare. In the course of a normal game even getting +1 bravery for a soldier wouldn't be guaranteed.

This goes hand in hand with another X:CE change, a bug fix for the psionic combat. Soldiers with higher bravery are supposed to be better at resisting psionic attacks but, due to a vanilla bug, the effect was marginal. X:CE fixes the calculation to work as intended, so higher bravery soldiers should now actually be braver in the face of psionic assaults, and combat vets should become braver with time.

Yes, you can probably abuse it into bravery gains for everyone on every mission. I never bothered fixing that kind of issue in X:CE. You can trivially guarantee maximum TU and STR increases on every mission, and significantly boost your chance of ACC increases. That is not how the game was intended to be played, but if you want to do that, go ahead.

Third question: How exactly does reaction fire work in general? I understand that your initiative which is a function of percentage remaining TU, reflexes, and weapon modifier, needs to be higher than the aliens initiative. What I am wondering about is how the soldier decides which type of attack to use and whether they will use reaction fire when allies are in the line of fire, in addition to whether they will use it on mind controlled allies and if they can use squad sight for reaction shots.

I don't even want to pretend to know the whole system. You're correct in general, both the Xenonaut soldier and the alien get their initiative score, calculated from the factors you list. Soldiers will, I believe, use the best attack that they have TU for, but I'm not sure. They calculate a probability of hitting allies and don't take the shot if it's above some threshold, so it depends on particulars like the weapon accuracy and more.