Home Advantage

In a lot of strategy game in order to maintain balance between the two opposing (sometimes even human) players there's a fog of war across all of the map.

While a fog of war is a good idea I do think that coming by the air to a crashed (or non crashed) landing on your own planet is a missed opportunity to try and change or spice things up.
How do you think a battle or your behavior would change if you had at least a basic layout of the map?

You'll still have fog of war but you'll know where buildings, walls etc are.
Theoretically you'll also have intel from surveillance (via airplanes or satellites) on the amount of enemy troops (even a rough estimate by words like: a few, several, multitude, swarm etc would be enough)

I don't know how exactly this would effect gameplay but taking examples from a competitor, they had a stage before they figured out what mechanics to implement exactly where the game just kept changing to check different play or mechanics (like one time line of sight was laser pointers from soldier to enemies and other soldier and the whole battlefield was just laser lines)

while not having access to the game myself I think it would make for an interesting test, and since the game hasn't been released as a "beta" to the public I might not be too late to examine new ideas...

what are your thoughts on the subject?

• Like 2

I would assume that by the start of the invasion, any satellites Earth might have had are either destroyed or disabled. That would be step one in any planetary invasion. The photos and stuff would probably be available.

However, to implement what you want, it's probably moddable very easily. You could just remove the initial fog to clear all of the map. You'd still have to rely on normal sight and you wouldn't know where the aliens are, but you'd have the whole map revealed already.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like there's solid potential for unlocking recon runs that last 1 turn as features for good funding relations with regions.

I don't really like not knowing the basic layout of a city we just landed in though. Fog of war makes sense but a vague idea of building layout would help.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...