Sign in to follow this  
EurekaSeven

XCOM-Chimera Squad

Posted (edited)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39fhpegVBQQ&t

Well, can we talk about the rebooted XCOMs here?

To be honest, it would be more interesting if they make this as a independent superpower-SWAT turn-based tactical game. I've never saw a turn-based game with SWAT settings other than Breach and Clear, or maybe Tactical Breach Wizards could be counted as one. Most SWAT games are either tactical shootings like the old Rainbow Six Trilogy or SWAT franchise, or Doorkickers, it would be interesting to play a turn based SWAT game involving police officers breaching houses.

I just feels strange that they made this under the XCOM IP as a spin-off. Though the old Apocalypse have a similar setting, it just feels strange that they made a SWAT game for XCOM players, and even phased out perma death (losing anyone is a mission failure). Though it is cheap in price, i really think that they can release it as a independent game rather than under the XCOM IP.

Edited by EurekaSeven

It's less risky to hang a game from a known IP tree than it is to create a new one from scratch, so even if the dev team that wanted to make this wanted to go their own way, they may have used XCOM to get the funding necessary. 

Posted (edited)

You both forget that we need a Gap-Filler between XCOM2 / XCOM2 WotC and XCOM3. Too many Questions are Open from XCOM EU / EW and after XCOM2 / XCOM2 WotC.

The Gap-Filler between XCOM EU / EW and XCOM2 / XCOM 2 WotC are 2 Storybooks (XCOM 2: Ressurection [Part 1, which I have and read already] and XCOM 2: Escalation [Part 2, which I ordered on Amazon]) to fill the Gap between the 25 years of the Storyline, where some Questions from your XO (Colonel Bradford), the Shen-Family, Dr. Moria Vahlen, the Ressistance [Humans], and the Buildup to XCom again as well as the Question about the missing Commander and how he get found get cleared. 

But you have to read with both Books about 400 Pages. Then you know the most interessting Things what has happened in that time. That’s the first Advantage about the old Predecessor-Series (X-Com). The second Advantage to make the New XCOM-Series in such a row is that the Timeline don’t get cut. The Disadvantages of the Book’s are that they have to be ordered from Amazon and then to read about 400 Pages to get all Story-Information up to XCOM2, like mentioned before.

For 25 Years fillup this is fully OK and very very interessting. I like the first Storybook, because there you know what happend to your XO (Colonel Bradford) and his last Meetings with Dr. Moria Vahlen. The second Storybook I orderd and have too read it to know what has happend to the Others.

The new Gap-Filler XCom: Chimera Squad plays 5 Years after the Destruction from TLeth, Dr. Vahlens Alien-Kings (Berserker, Archon and Snake) and the Alien-Kids (the 3 Chosen).

The Strange Thing in XCOM: Chimera Squad is the Comic-Stile to tell the Storyline. But all Elements from XCOM / XCOM2 will come in again and don’t break the Storyline. We will see in 3 to 4 Days what Parts from the open Questions will be closed in the next Part of XCom.

Edited by Alienkiller

It has every large gameplay element of XCOM2 in it. Research, Manufacture, Doom meter, SPARKs. Lack of character permadeath is a requirement for their "1 of each class" idea. Lack of campaign permadeath is not, and I will be upset if they don't support ironman, but it should be moddable.

That’s Answered already for XCOM: Chimera Squad, because many Gamers had the same Feeling like you. I will it explain to you. The Devs gives following Statement to that 2 Questions:

1. Modding: The Modding is enabled from beginning on. The Game-Code comes from XCOM2. That means the Modding-Process won’t change to XCOM2 / XCOM2 WotC Procedere.

2. Ironman: This Element / Feature is integrated too from beginning on. But it changes from XCOM EU / EW and XCOM2 / XCOM2 WotC for your Soldiers extremely. Your Soldiers in XCOM: Chimera Squad are not changeable anymore. This means they are your Main-Part (like Lily Shen, Colonel John Bradford, Dr. Tygan / Dr. Moria Vahlen and the Commander in the Predecessors). 
If you lose a Soldier in XCOM: Chimera Squad in a Mission you lost completely. In Short: Game Over! You have to restart the full Game from beginning on.

Hope that helps. 

The new game looks like it has made a lot of changes to the standard formula. Compare it to XCOM EU/EW and the only recognisable elements are the cover system and a few types of alien. Combat used to be sweep and clear, then in XCOM2 it turned into stealth and ambush, and now this SWAT set up is just another step. Like the timeline turn system, I suspect that they're field testing some of these mechanics before deciding to launch them in the bigger XCOM3 title.

I'm interested to see how the player population is divided. There is a definite distinction between play styles: either keeping all (or very near) of your soldiers alive, or callously sacrificing them for the greater good. I'm sure these play styles roughly overlap with the ironman option. But from experience these styles either mean that you spend a lot of time reloading in the early game, or you slow down your progression mid game. Chimera Squad requiring you to play in one style looks like it will be divisive, but I think the campaign will be better balanced for it.

Overall I think the game might be a hodgepodge of ideas that were thrown around in development, but wouldn't make practical sense to include as a DLC, so instead they're bundling it as a standalone. It is going for less than a tenner at the moment, that is way under priced for a game from a major developer - which leads me to think they're recouping sunk development time into ideas that didn't ake the final cut, and that they're going to be listening attentively to feedback.

Posted (edited)

If I were Firaxis and have 2 Main-Games with not fully answered Questions (like the Terror-Group in XCOM Enemy Within) and remaining Questions from Full XCOM2 incl. WotC / Shens last Gift / Alien-Hunter I would do the same. 

And you don’t have to forget that is a Full Game with refitted Parts from XCOM EW and Complete XCOM2 incl. DLC‘s developed in only 2 Years besides the last big Patch called TLC For XCOM2.

With that last Game on the XCOM2 Graphics-Engine we get a very good Gap-Filler for XCOM3, because XCOM3 needs the next Generation of that Graphics-Engine, which Firaxis already have.

The last big Patch and XCOM: Chimera Squad could be done wit max. 50% of the Developers, while the others ordered to an other Project.

That means XCOM3 is in the Beginning (Alpha-Stage) or more Developed and the next Surprise from Firaxis. 

The next Graphic-Generation for XCOM3 can only mean that we go in Deep Space or Under Water, because the Devs showed in XCOM2 Development already new Scripts and Aliens for XCOM3.

And XCOM: Chimera Squad comes with ulterior Motivs for Firaxis with a DLC Price, if you know what similar Games comes in the next Time, especially in the next Weeks.

Firaxis wanna hold her XCOM-Community and won’t lose them to other big Game Companies as well as UFO2: Extraterrestrials. And that says to me XCOM3 won’t be ready until 2021 / 2022.

Edited by Alienkiller

I've been playing Chimera Squad since it came out. I have this to say about it. Junk food. That's what it feels like. Chimera Squad is all about a fast gameplay loop. The bits you do outside of the ground combat are very streamlined, very simple. There's very little thought about what you have to do, the most important deicision you make is which troopers are going on the next mission and who's going to be stuck either gathering resources or getting a skill or stat upgrade. The battles themselves play very quickly. All the bad guys are laid out in advance, so there's no cautious inching forward you get stuck in straight away. Almost no fight takes more than 15 minutes tops, especially with you start piling on the skills and crap out crazy combos. So you rapidly do a mission, get back, make a few choices on the strategy section, then jump straight back into the fighting. It's a lot like chowing down on a burger, then having another burger turn up just as you finish cleaning up from the last one. And, like junk food, after a few burgers, it's no longer satisfying. The whole "investigation" angle is a sham. You have gated story missions. You wait for the timer to run down, gathering resources and levelling up troopers before you do the next story mission, then repeat. Because the gameplay loop is so fast you don't really notice it at first but repetition really starts to take ahold after you've "investigated" and taken down the first of the three criminal organisations you're facing. I'm still having fun, because the fights are fun, btu I'm bit bummed that  the strategy section is just so shallow. Oh well. Garcon! Another burger, if you please! With sauce!

• Thanks 1

I'm increasingly agreeing with you... the game is awesome at first because you see all the abilities, then you replay and repeat the strategy layer grind while the combat doesn't get any better and nothing about the game really changes. The abilities stay cool, but at times it feels that's all that's left.

Yepp, it‘s a very small Stand-Alone DLC with full Story. And such is really rare in this time. Therefore we get warned that it won’t be a Game with to many Features.

It‘s nice and the Storyline is really exciting, but the cool Things get missed. Base-Upgrade and such. 

On the other Hand you get everything cool stuff from XCOM EU / EW (Panic Levels) and XCOM 2 / XCOM 2 WotC (Weaponry, Upgrades for Soldiers, Training Center and Special Operations, 3 Side-Factions) in one Stand-Alone DLC.

And much more important: The Storyline is correctly in the Timeline, as well as the Devs bring in new Features like the Breach Mode. And give the players more e information for XCOM 3:

1. the Etherials (the old Alien-Masters) will return

2. the old enemy’s (Mutuns, Sectoids, Vipers etc.) which get improved with Human DNA will get more and more important on Human especially XCOM-Side 

3. Bradford and the Commander are still on Board

4. you have in XCOM 2 lost your Shadow-Man! And now the first speculation: The 3 Groups you have to fight in the first stages of CS get special things from ADVENT. The only one who couldn’t get catchend is the Shadow-Man. 
Speculation: Shadow-Man has turned against XCOM?!

5. You don‘t hear anything about Vahlen, Tygan and Shen. What happened to them?!

Speculation: Shen will be back in the Teaeam, Tygan ? and Vahlen is working for the Shadow-Man now!?

6. The Avenger is not mentioned or shown. Maybe it‘s still the mobile Command-Base which would make sense for XCOM 3.

Speculation: The Avanger get a full refit in the 5 to 6 years (maybe 8 years) for the new Adventures XCOM have to see.

7. The Game Mentioned like in Point 1 said  the old Alien-Masters will return.  You don’t know what’s going on under Water where the Alien-HQ is still there and you did the final Fight in XCOM 2 / XCom2 WotC

Speculation: That base get the new underground HQ for XCOM on Earth. 

That means XCOM 3 will get more Chance we expect. There are many Vids With Speculations on Youtube what will come next, but one thing on the End from Chimera Squad is clear:

Humanity won’t survive if the old enemy’s fight each other. That’s what Chimera Squad is telling us. 

Why? The Aliens can’t life without us on Earth after the get upgraded wit Human DNA. And they know all rules about Space flight and the Planets. On the other Hand we know more about our Homeworld and the Deep Sea.

In Shot: If the old enemy Soldiers, Scientists, Reasearchers don’t work together we defenetely will be that the Bad End of XCOM 2 show us.

I've finished Chimera Squad now, and now I've done it, I've gotta say, what the hell did they do to the aliens? Visually, Cherub reminds me more of Middenface McNulty than Pratal Mox. Zephyr is much closer to what an ex-ADVENT trooper looks like (the nose is still too human, look at Betos), but how on earth did she get her (very faint) accent if she was first a proper ADVENT trooper then embraced by the Skirmshers? Torque sounds and feels more like a snarky human college girl than another ex-solider, a hardened tracker of the Resistance to boot, and Axiom? Wow. Just.... Wow. Did the art dept. stage a revolt against the XCOM 2 Muton design? What was wrong with it? Axiom's face looks pasted on the end of a tube of flesh. All the "Mutons" do. I admire Verge the most. He feels the most fleshed out of all the aliens, like one of the (five) writers took a shine to Verge and spent some extra time with him.  

You forgett that the Elders begun after the Invasion to bring in Human DNA to the Aliens and only a little Alien-DNA to the Humans. We all know the Aliens from XCOM EU / EW and XCOM 2 incl. all DLC´s. Most of the Aliens look more Human like (begunn with the Sectoids, then Mutons and Archons) with whatever more Alientypes the Elders injected the Human DNA into them. 

My Opinion in that is that these were the first Test-Subjects for the Elders Avatar-Project. And the not seen Aliens get more and more transformed into Human-Look which is shown us in XCOM Chimera Squad.

Eh? Look at the 2D artwork for the aliens. Then look at the 3D models. Look at Cherub and Zephyr. The 2D art does not match up with the 3D models, especially Cherub, who still looks too human but looks more ADVENT in the 3D model than the 2D art. Look at Axiom. Compare Axiom's 3D model to the 3D Muton model for XCOM 2. You're telling me in 5 game-time years Mutons went from high ridged crests to a tube of flesh and from pinpoint eyes hidden under heavy brows to eyes that are almost popping out? This isn't continued genetic adapation, this is the art dept. determined to put their own stamp on XCOM and mutilating the aliens in the process. It's like the lead art designer was all "I can't be arsed to draw aliens, I'll draw alien looking humans instead."

Yeah one thing triggered me is the aliens or hybrid sounds are too humane, especially comparing to similar characters like Skimishers in XCOM2. I'm guessing the only reason for this would be some pure laziness of adding effects to voice-overs considering this as a small spin-off. Or if they really wanted to intergrate the humane voice into the setting, they're going too far.

The interaction with local forces and governments (this time specifically local PD and city council) are, kind of, improved than the previous games. You now get the feeling that you are regularly contacted by and cooperate with the friendly factions with many descriptions of random missions and spec-ops, and the random news dialogs did help to expand the setting of politics and life of this world, instead of fighting alone in XCOM2, only the story told you that there are friendly factions or Earth countries but you did not get the feeling of such (havent purchased Wotc though).

Would not be surprised if the art team for this game was different than the team for XCOM2. If it were me, I'd want to put my own mark on the project and not be held to recreating someone else's style. It is not as if superficial details are the mainstay of the cannon.

I'm a bit sad to hear that the strategy layer of the game is weak. Firaxis definitely started taking the game down a path where the strategy layer is more of a setup for your ground combat rather than an semi-independent game in and of itself. I've recently started playing PlanetFall. The strategy layer is a slimmed down version of Civ, so it can hold its own. Is nice to see how the genre has really proliferated in the past ten years.

Yepp, in 5 Years it´s amazing. But 5 Years can be long or short. Belongs on the Side you show it.

I played XCOM: Chimera Squad too on the first Weekend it comes out. And yes there are some things too I don´t understand, esp. in the more Human-Looking-Aliens. Sektoids looked like more Humans in XCOM 2 already. And the DNA-Upgraded Mutons, Archons as well as Vipers.

The Questions I have after XCOM 2 WotC and XCOM: Chimera Squad are:

1. Why the Elders haven´t downgraded the Berserker with Human DNA? It´s the only Alien I have seen which haven´t had the Hybrid-Thing.

2. Why Dr. Moria Vahlen experimented with the Archon, Viper and the Berserker and esp. on the Berserker?

3. Where are the 2 Masterminds in XCOM: Chimera Squad after you have finished the Final Mission?

4. How could it be that you have more Hybrids on Earth in the time of Chimera Squad then normal Humans, because normal Humans get an transformation with Alien DNA too (see the Martial Arts Woman of your Squad)?

5. The Commander and the XO (Bradford), and Lily Shen got mentioned very often. Do we see them again in XCOM 3?

6. What has happend with Dr. Moria Vahlen, Dr. Tygan, the still online Underwater-Base and the Avanger?

7. In the Museum you see the the Skyranger and some other things from the first and Second War against the Aliens. Are the Skyrangers and other things obsolet now?

My speculations about that are in a prevous treat. My personal meaning is that we stay on earth and make a more buildup of the remaining Citys and have to fight the Elders again. But we can only speculate about that atm. With the Storybord from all previous XCOM-Parts incl. Chimera Squad we get an new Terror from the Deep-Part. But the Question is where. It could be Underwater or in Space. What do you think, but with all the fact´s my personal Meaning is Under Water.

And one more thing which is officiall announced. The Storybuildup for the new XCOM is the following:

- XCOM Enemy Unknown (not Enemy Within, which is only a alternate Side-Story to give the people more until XCOM 2 get out)

- XCOM 2 War of the Chosen (there you fight the beginning of the last battle in City 31 and then you fight under water in the Alien Home-Base on earth [I call it T´Leth which were called in the 90´s])

- XCOM: Chimera Squad (there you fight in City 31 and on the End you can think of where the last battle will be??) :cool::D

I played and finished Chimera Squad when it came out and I found my feeling similar to some of the other people in this thread. I got it with the launch discount so it was well worth the money (£9 or something) and at first I enjoyed it a lot, but I found the lack of strategic depth and overall length of the game made it quite grindy and a bit dull by the end. I think if the game was half as long I'd have enjoyed it much more.

The new turn order system was interesting, but I'm not sure it's an improvement over the existing XCOM mechanics - but it was nice to try something new, and I think it fitted the game well.

I quite liked the settings and the characters though, and I liked that it was possibly setting up a future game that explored the mechanics of X-Com: Apocalypse a bit more closely.

So it'd be a cautious recommendation from me, but I'd say you should definitely buy it on sale. If I'd paid full price for it I might have been more disappointed.

• Thanks 1

I really liked it. As far as individual turns, it'd have to be like Tactics Ogre PSP (Ideally with the One Vision rebalance) to make sense. Basically you get a full turn, but each action or piece of weight slows you down. Or, in the case of this system, would allow TUs to carry over. Ultimately I think it could work, but would usually result in speed builds ruling the day. Even with a heavy defense bias, vanilla TO PSP could be cheesed like crazy with some knowledge of the armor penetration mechanics. 

Yep, it has some Changes in it which bring XCOM to a new Level. You can see that it wasn´t programmed from the normal XCom-Stuff. That can only mean that XCOM 3 is in Development and will get these new Features. XCOM: Chimera Squad is and were only a Test for the new Features that will come in XCOM 3. And Jake Solomon as well as the Main-Team for XCOM could get her Heads out of the Shooting Line, if the new Features / Filler are not working as promissed.