Combat Fatigue

Just an idea i want to ramble about...

Why not change the name of the TU system into something that sounds more realistic to the game and has potential to expand the system more appropriately? We know that each individual has a set amount of TU to perform actions and its also affected by weight but it could also have long-term properties such as: constantly overusing the same squad will gradually lower the combat effectiveness of each individual in ground combat (therefore a smaller limit of action points/TU). This of course can be restored by allowing the squad to rest up a bit. Or it can add more unpleasant features for an individual soldier, for example a soldier constantly using all his combat effectiveness may be more reluctant to follow orders, going so far as to out-right refuse. 

This can be a feature that could open up to quite a lot of new possibilities like: soldier mental health and behaviour and more complicated short-term/long-term strategies.

However obviously i know this is a very hard feature to ever implement especially on a tight budget. Just think its quite a cool thought for a TU overhaul.

Uh no thanks. Combat fatigue sounds like something that would make the geoscape even more slow and boring. Not only would I have to wait for soldiers to heal up, I would also have to wait for them to cease being tired.

I rather enjoy running multiple missions in a row thank you very much.

Also a soldier refusing orders or having a long term mental breakdown will probably cause me to have a mental breakdown with how annoying that would be. I mean, the xenonauts are already dealing with "special forces" that can't aim for shit and mental break after seeing a single comrade go down. I do not want to deal with their PTSD on top of that.

Given that flying back to base or another mission easily takes a few hours, that's more than enough time to rest

I rather love the JA2 way of doing things in combat. You had stamina that certain weapons and actions (running, climbing, carrying really heavy stuff) depleted it. Stamina was something that you recovered quickly, but led to interesting gameplay.

A shotgun blast to the gut wouldn't damage you if you had armor, but it would knock the air out of you, putting a big hit on your stamina. If you were already low on it, it would knock you down.

That's why you had energizer syringes on you. And bandages and regenerators. Because you had to treat the wounds, no magical instant HP restoration.

Combat fatigue as described in the OP is a nice idea, but pretty pointless in Xenonauts. I currently have a roster of 40 soliders in my most recent run (Jan-Feb). If some got tired I would just cycle them out as I already do when they get hurt. While you can't get to batallion strength, it is fairly easy to form, say, a demi-companies' worth of troops in a relatively short period of time (3 game months) which acts as a massive check on any long-term impediments that individual soldiers suffer. 

• 10 months later...

Combat Stress, should not just accumulate, just by going on a mission, it should have certain events to trigger it, as it is now you need a large number of troops, to cycle through each mission, so as to have troops available, which means that your troops don't develop their stats as fast and the cost of recruiting more, and building more living space, make the meagre resources that you are given hard to manage, this could be OK on a harder level, but not on BASIC.

5 hours ago, Ruggerman said:

so as to have troops available, which means that your troops don't develop their stats as fast and the cost of recruiting more, and building more living space, make the meagre resources that you are given hard to manage, this could be OK on a harder level, but not on BASIC.

1. Building Training Center will help improve the soldiers ' stats.

2. When the experience on the battlefield gets 10 soldiers, and the increase in the skills of each (on average) is +1. And when the losses in each battle are equal to one soldier, then on average the player loses not only 10% of the personnel, but also 10% of the experience gained earlier. This means that the skill level of your tactical team will always be (on average) +10. (For ten battles, the player will lose ten soldiers, and the average soldier will only be in 10 battles). If you increase the tactical group to 20 soldiers, then with the death of one soldier, you will only lose 5% of your personnel and 5% of your previous experience (on average), and the skill level of your soldiers in the tactical group ( on average) will be +20.

Edited by Komandos

Then nobody will play the Game with Point 2. Let this away and all is good. You have more work with tactical Teams then to manage an individual Soldier. And you lose enough XP if such an Individual and good trained Soldier dies. What is possible that Soldiers can have a Friendship (like in XCOM 2: WotC) and make the Missions better if they are put together in an Transport.

The best concept is the individual Soldier-Thing like in Original X-COM (Enemy Unknown / Terror from the Deep), UFO Extraterestials, the new XCOM Row or Phoenix Point. The Friendship from XCOM 2 WotC can be implemented, there we can talk about.

But not as Combat Teams as the only Option. The most players wanna have individual Soldiers, which work together in the Missions. That is what you mean as Combat Team from X-Com: Apocalypse in the Real Time Mode, where to put a box on the Soldiers and Group them in Group 1, 2, 3 etc. That won´t and didn´t work in Round-Based Mode :D. Have played the old X-Com-Row fully through too, so I exactly know what worked and what not.

10 hours ago, Alienkiller said:

Then nobody will play the Game with Point 2.

The first UFOs: 1-2 (Enemy _Unknown / Terror_from_the_and_Deep) came out with item 2. In them, the number of soldiers in a platoon reached 26 people. And these games have not sunk into oblivion, and they are still an example to follow. X-COM: 3_Apocalypse also had a platoon of 36 men. And this game is considered better than those where you can take no more than 2-4-6-8-12-16 soldiers on a mission.

8 minutes ago, Alienkiller said:

That was an other Time where the Computers learnd walking, not running. There were no other Possibilitys possible, 20 Years later are other possibilitys doable.

Previously, the resources of the computer did not allow you to support and process a smaller number of fighters, but now they can master it?