Sign in to follow this  
vincerutherford

Combat Fatigue

Just an idea i want to ramble about...

Why not change the name of the TU system into something that sounds more realistic to the game and has potential to expand the system more appropriately? We know that each individual has a set amount of TU to perform actions and its also affected by weight but it could also have long-term properties such as: constantly overusing the same squad will gradually lower the combat effectiveness of each individual in ground combat (therefore a smaller limit of action points/TU). This of course can be restored by allowing the squad to rest up a bit. Or it can add more unpleasant features for an individual soldier, for example a soldier constantly using all his combat effectiveness may be more reluctant to follow orders, going so far as to out-right refuse. 

This can be a feature that could open up to quite a lot of new possibilities like: soldier mental health and behaviour and more complicated short-term/long-term strategies.

However obviously i know this is a very hard feature to ever implement especially on a tight budget. Just think its quite a cool thought for a TU overhaul.

Uh no thanks. Combat fatigue sounds like something that would make the geoscape even more slow and boring. Not only would I have to wait for soldiers to heal up, I would also have to wait for them to cease being tired.

I rather enjoy running multiple missions in a row thank you very much.

Also a soldier refusing orders or having a long term mental breakdown will probably cause me to have a mental breakdown with how annoying that would be. I mean, the xenonauts are already dealing with "special forces" that can't aim for shit and mental break after seeing a single comrade go down. I do not want to deal with their PTSD on top of that.

Given that flying back to base or another mission easily takes a few hours, that's more than enough time to rest

I rather love the JA2 way of doing things in combat. You had stamina that certain weapons and actions (running, climbing, carrying really heavy stuff) depleted it. Stamina was something that you recovered quickly, but led to interesting gameplay.

A shotgun blast to the gut wouldn't damage you if you had armor, but it would knock the air out of you, putting a big hit on your stamina. If you were already low on it, it would knock you down.

That's why you had energizer syringes on you. And bandages and regenerators. Because you had to treat the wounds, no magical instant HP restoration.

Combat fatigue as described in the OP is a nice idea, but pretty pointless in Xenonauts. I currently have a roster of 40 soliders in my most recent run (Jan-Feb). If some got tired I would just cycle them out as I already do when they get hurt. While you can't get to batallion strength, it is fairly easy to form, say, a demi-companies' worth of troops in a relatively short period of time (3 game months) which acts as a massive check on any long-term impediments that individual soldiers suffer.