How many bases do you build?

It seems that 3 can be enough to cover all regions (but not for 100% of their territory)

Base 1) Africa 100% + Europe 100% +west part of USSR 
Base 2) North + Latin America (60% of both)
Base 3) East part of USSR + Asia +Australia (60% of them)

Is it enough indeed or am I wrong and what is the optimal number of bases then? 

Edited by Rusknight

As far as interceptor bases go, I add one more to fully cover australia and move the other base a little further up. Given the shortage of scientists and engineers, there doesn't seem like there's a need to create a dedicated factory or a research complex - you can add those on to either the main base or as extensions of the satellite bases as needed. 

4 minutes ago, Max_Caine said:

As far as interceptor bases go, I add one more to fully cover australia and move the other base a little further up. Given the shortage of scientists and engineers, there doesn't seem like there's a need to create a dedicated factory or a research complex - you can add those on to either the main base or as extensions of the satellite bases as needed. 

So how many bases do you have total late game?

Edited by Rusknight

Haven't played much X2 but the main incentive to make more bases than needed for radar coverage is usually so planes start their interception closer to the UFO. So you do it in X-division but no Xenonauts 1.

The big thing that makes the airgame suck in most XCOM-likes is the lack of any difference between countries, or even opportunity for countries to change over time. So it's very prone to optimal solutions which never change.

• 3 years later...

I ran out of base slots and couldn't get full radar coverage. I ran a few sweeps with Phantoms, looking for further Alien bases yet there currently seems to be only one that gets revealed automatically. We might have to wait for further Alien bases until there's larger UFOs to construct them.

My thread requesting more than those six has not been green-lit yet

I hit 3, was planning for a full five, but was stymied by running out of research/beta. 

My usual base is top row of hangers, access lift in third row, then generator/stores/radar/2x defense south.  Also threw spare labs and a living quarters in my first base so I could get all research there.

Usually defend with 10xSentries, going to 16 if/when I get resources. 

• Like 1

I think you can get pretty good coverage with 4 bases. One in Sudan area, at level 3 radar covers all of Europe, Africa and chunk of Asia, Soviets. A level 2 in the Gobi desert covers the Soviets and Asia (except Australia / Indonesia), then level 1/2 in North America and a level 1 radar in South America. Other than extra workshops I haven't really found a need for much else in the additional bases. 

I do four base I find that  if I build my first base in Africa that covers all of Europe and some of Asia and Russia, that I loss North America quickly into the game and if I build in North America I found that I quickly start losing the others. so I go for Africa and build in the North America straight away. So within the first month I have two bases up and running. which does give me much money to start of with but I don't like to lose any countries.  If I don't bases in those two then it will not let me reduce the panic levels. I would like to see more country mission in these areas.