Any way to manage gender of new soldiers in the config? (Solved!)

Call me as you wish but having 50% of female in a combat squad breaks an imerrsion for me - I dont see in real life so many female in military (I mean real combat squads) so it looks like  an agenda about equal rights and so on from devs. I am ok with this agenda in general, but still can I in my personal campaign adjust somehow via config a gender of new soldiers whom I can hire?

Update: Sollution 

Edited by Rusknight

You might want to play about with combatant.json in /steamapps/common/Xenonauts 2/assets/assets/template/strategy/masters/actor/combatant. (phew, that was a long one!). I'm mid testing a theorem of mine, so I can't fiddle with it myself, but have a look at that file, you might find what you want. 

10 minutes ago, Max_Caine said:

You might want to play about with combatant.json in /steamapps/common/Xenonauts 2/assets/assets/template/strategy/masters/actor/combatant. (phew, that was a long one!). I'm mid testing a theorem of mine, so I can't fiddle with it myself, but have a look at that file, you might find what you want. 

Yes, thanks, I found it either already and will try to edit and post if I manage to get a proper result (I would like to have 80% male and 20% female - this way it would be more realistic and still keep some choice) 

Edited by Rusknight

You will need to go to were steam has stored the game files

Under Drive:\Steam\Steamapps\common\Xenonauts 2\assets\assets\xenonauts\template\groundcombat\masters\actor\combatant\human\xenonaut

you can edit this file with notepad, and change default to male.

8 hours ago, Ruggerman said:

You will need to go to were steam has stored the game files

Under Drive:\Steam\Steamapps\common\Xenonauts 2\assets\assets\xenonauts\template\groundcombat\masters\actor\combatant\human\xenonaut

you can edit this file with notepad, and change default to male.

Well it doesnt seem enough. I made this and started new game but still see a mix of male and female there

20 minutes ago, Ninothree said:

Am always surprised by how many people seek these details of realism. For me, games are definitely about escapism (yup, escaping to a world where you'd be just as likely to find women shooting aliens with lasers)

Its a matter of taste really, there is no right and wrong way here. I just like to think that my squad is somewhat special forces formed from military veterans from various armies rather than a bunch of random boys and girls who hold a gun first time in his\her life, but its a matter of taste indeed.

I'm surprised how tolerant this thread has been to this. If this was any other more mainstream game you would have been murdered by people calling you sexist.

Thanks for taking one for the team Ruskknight. I was wanting to ask the same thing but was afraid of backlash.

10 minutes ago, Ruggerman said:

If you try under assets\assets\xenonauts\temple\strategy\actor\combatant\human\characters\starting_pool\Soldiers

There are 12 starting soldiers, if you edit the ones with female to male.

Hope that helps.

I tried editing those either already, it doesnt help. I tried already editing many various files and spent several hours on tests today. So my last hope is that smb more experienced in modding will find the sollution. I am noob in modding.

Edited by Rusknight

24 minutes ago, Ruggerman said:

Reassign the female troops, and recruit males.

It takes time, but that works.

You have to take worse soldiers this way cause your selection is limited means building the proper squad will need several months in game. I did it, but its not really fun

Edited by Rusknight

Yesss! After hours of tests I finally found how to make all soldiers male  - starting ones and those new ones whom you can hire too.

"gender":"random" should be changed to "gender":"male" in

Xenonauts 2\assets\assets\xenonauts\template\strategy\masters\actor\combatant\human\xenonauts\human

"gender":"female" should be changed to "gender":"male" in
Xenonauts 2\assets\assets\xenonauts\template\strategy\actor\combatant\human\xenonauts\characters\starting_pool\soldiers\soldier_starting3
Xenonauts 2\assets\assets\xenonauts\template\strategy\actor\combatant\human\xenonauts\characters\starting_pool\soldiers\soldier_starting7

Start new campaign and have fun! :D

Edited by Rusknight

28 minutes ago, Max_Caine said:

Well, it's looks like you've levelled up, Rusknight. Could you check to make sure you can have an all female crew,please, and tell us about any experiments with adjusting the ratios. 

You can have all female crew the same way but you will have to edit different files from
 Xenonauts 2\assets\assets\xenonauts\template\strategy\actor\combatant\human\xenonauts\characters\starting_pool\
changing male to female there

and of course change random to female here 

Xenonauts 2\assets\assets\xenonauts\template\strategy\masters\actor\combatant\human\xenonauts\human

I don't know how to change the ratio to have male\female 70%\30% or so though. Have no idea now. I think it will require writing some new code

I also tried to make all soldiers to be from the same country just for fun but failed. I see where it stored but changing it crashing the game. Maybe try it later again.

Edited by Rusknight

22 hours ago, Comrade said:

If this was any other more mainstream game you would have been murdered by people calling you sexist.

Lol, don't get me wrong, there is definitely something sexist about wanting to erase women, even in a fantasy setting. But it doesn't really matter in the sense that it is a game built around military structures, colonial alien aggressors and generally shooting stuff up. Most games like this are well inside the patriarchal oppressive violence-based system, so if someone is going to nit pick about not having enough female soldiers, then they are probably missing the bigger picture. Having said that, I think the default settings being inclusive of female soldiers is a good thing. And having that setting be alterable suits all tastes on the realism spectrum. 

I see it like this:

if you are a man and don't want any women in your squad then you should have that option. You are the commander in the game!

If you are a woman and don't want any men in your squad then you should have that option.

I don't go for all this political correctness nonsense that has been forced on people! It's up to you. You shouldn't be forced to conform. Men are better at some things, women others. And men in general happen to have the traits most suited to a soldier. Nothing wrong in that and in traditional roles is there?

Men are men and women are women for a reason, and I think many in the modern world have lost sight of that. We ARE different :cool:

Edited by ooey
  • Like 1

I've seen this particular discussion way too many times during the development of X1. It never ended well. Rusknight has established that if you want an all female or all male crew, you can do that and shows you how to do it. Please, can the discussion end there. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2020 at 10:09 AM, Ninothree said:

Am always surprised by how many people seek these details of realism. For me, games are definitely about escapism (yup, escaping to a world where you'd be just as likely to find women shooting aliens with lasers)

Generally speaking, women only get involved in military operations in a large scale when you are losing badly and you don't have enough men left to fight. (Often seen in insurgency scenarios.) So perhaps in an alien invasion scenario for the survival of the species, this makes sense. You take whoever you can get who seems like they can do the job!

On the flip side, sending women to die against the alien invader is potentially global suicide. Men are expendable on a civilization/species level, women are not.

You can justify these things however you like.

Edited by indaris