On a few minor details

On the subject of the alien ships general shape and design, when can we expect a more detailed internal and external design of alien ufos? The boxy shape of them is really bugging to the eye. I do remembered the old betas of the first game also featured boxy alien ships as well so when will we see the new updated ship design in future betas?

On the subject of stances will this game feature more stances for the soldiers more than just run, walk, and crounch? Most classic turn based strategy games after the original X-Com like Jagged Alliance 1&2, Silent Storm and the Hammer & Sickle spinoff also have the option of proning and moving when prone/crounch. Would we see a similar expansion of soldier stances in this?

And finally on a small side note, as your soldiers get more experienced could they have the ability of aiming at specific parts of the enemy (which the enemy can also do) with a high penalty on action point and can be only perform at half the range of a weapon with some extension for sniper rifles and mellee weapons like the baton. This will work very well in tandem with the newly introduced modular armor system where you can also specifically aim for lightly protected parts of the enemy for a quicker kill. This could be also comine with new death animations to create much more sastifying and gory deaths (not in the way which Phoenix Point use it but more in the sense of classic isometric rpgs like the Fallout series Bloody Mess or Arcanum's called shots system) https://arcanum.fandom.com/wiki/Called_shots

This might be a lot of small nitpicks that will waste too much development time for the devs and would be probably added by the community through mods anyway. But the new engine limitation might make that difficult especially the already hard implementation of community made assets into the combat screen make me curious of the possibility of just contributing this idea.

falloutmess.jpg

The art design of the UFOs actaully may well be revised in the near future, as we're once again working with the UFO artist from the first game and if all goes well we might be able to smash together the best parts of the X1 visual style with the improved destruction of the X2 UFOs and get the best of both worlds. That's the hope, anyway - we'll see how it turns out over the next couple of months.

Kinda disappointed to know that the boxy design will be the final ship design. But hey as long as X-Div and open X-Com with full 40k mods are still here playing Xenonauts 2 could wait :). I’m seriously still impressed how they could update such an old game like X-Com to a comparable state with X-Div with such a dedicated mod (completely huge ships with nice art direction that dissipate the boxy feel, huge weapons a factions selection, and even good base defense missions!).270.png

I’m still a bit confused to the body part damage as it seems entirely a number’s game and won’t affect any graphical or specific effects for each section of the body. It’s basically just full rng if the enemy will get a head shot and kill your soldier from just a glancing hit. I was actually hoping for a more in-depth system where you can explode Sebilian heads, crippling their movements with leg shots or forcing them to drop their guns with an arm shot. But these can be modded later if Unity allows it (which I kinda doubt it’ll ever happen since it’s an infamously finicky engine for such mod friendly options).

Well, locational damage as presented is a framework on which a more complex system can be built. However, I've personally never been keen on any locational damage system where you can deliberately choose a location than earns significantly more damage than other locations, because then that becomes the only location worth choosing. PP did this right - there is normally no spot on an enemy which which is a damage multiplier, but all that did was then change the focus to shooting off enemy locations that could do damage.

I’ll have to disagree on your point that PP did right on the aiming specific points of the enemy. I used to be hype for that feature too until I actually play it and seeing how balance-breaking and annoying it is. First thing first is the damaged areas of the enemy aside from the weapons doesn’t fall of as promised in the crowdfunding campaign of PP. Second is that there’s no penalty to called shots like in other games as the TU system is completely removed, forcing you into choosing it every time. Not to mention unlike even the first Xenonauts the bullet simulation is much worse as the animation doesn’t even matches with the actual hit (a problem that already put me off from the X-Com reboot). A system similar to Hammer & Sickle with the improved gore from the original Silent Storm is much more preferable as it is much easier to balance without feeling too gimmicky.silentstorm11.jpg

The penalty also comes with special debuffs that change how a soldier behave when heavily injured.