Early terror mission balance

So, I just had my first proper terror mission. Too many Predators (can't remember what they're called but they make the zombies). I feel there should be a percentage chance they don't get thru your armour, and a percentage chance that when you kill the zombie they die outright. 

On another note, the grenade launcher is ridiculously inaccurate. 

About those 'Predators'. I agree with you. I thought I'd killed one in Xen 1 once, but it 'woke up' during the next turn and turned my best man, who was standing right beside it, into a zombie! Very annoying...  Maybe super-thick armour could be provided as protection with a reasonable % chance that an attack won't penetrate (at the cost of 50% Action Points lost if wearing it). For every problem there should always be a solution!

I know in real life that soldiers would be very weary about going into battle against such a creature without some form of protection against it, should it get close enough.

Edited by ooey

Oh you can bet on it! Chris will probably have them spitting acid at you though, so you can never truly be safe unless you kill the damn things! I've never actually hovered above one in xen 1 though, so I don't know what they try to do (probably stand there watching you looking helpless). 

Edited by ooey

You mean the Repaers, which make the Zombies. Yeah, they are strange, but if you have some Soldiers with Jetpacks and much better Protection then you are save. Light an Medium Armor are no Prob for them, but Heavy Armor should be a big problem for them.

And yeah the Grenade Launcher is an Area-Weapon, not a precices Weapon like the Rifle or a Sniper-Rifle.

Well, grenade launchers should at least go in the general direction you fire them in! From what I have seen they sometimes tend to drop at your feet. A grenade launcher is designed to do what it says - launch a grenade further than a man can throw it, and a man can always throw it further than his own two feet :-). It should act like a Rocket Launcher, but with shorter range.

At the minute its implementation reminds me of that Taliban terrorist on YouTube who fired an RPG into the wall right next to him...

Edited by ooey
  • Like 1

The Reaper is very closely modeled on the Chrysallid of X-Com fame. The Chrysallid was infamous for having a combination of high AP and low cost for their zombification attack so even if there were only 1 or 2 Chrysallids on a Terror map they would quickly infect and create a horde of Chrysallids. I suspect the same is happening here - the starting Reapers go out and infect some civvies, who become Reapers, who infect MORE civvies and it snowballs until you end up with a slavering pack of monsters.The question is, is this desirable behavior? I feel there should be the threat of civvies being turned into living larvae, but not the certainty. That, however will likely come down to map design.

On 2/21/2020 at 5:12 PM, Challenge said:

So, does the Reaper need to kill the target for zombification? One of my snipers got hit by one, but didn't zombify. I kept one soldier behind him to keep a watch just in case.

It appears that they finally tweaked it so the reaper does need to kill to zombify. That is probably one of the BEST changes from Xenonauts 1. No longer will your immersion be shattered when some weird-ass bug with chitin claws manages to 1 tap your full predator armored tank.