Any chance of being able to zoom in at least slightly closer to the battlefield?

I don't know how tricky it would be, but when I'm doing screenshots, the graphics seem like they hold up very well with, say a 1.5 X zoom-in (see screen shot).  I've seen some pretty low-budget games that allow a considerable zoom-in, but again, i don't know what the coding challenges would be.

zoomQuestion.jpg

Yeah, it's relatively easy to support this - it's just a camera setting. It'll probably be a day or so of work to set up the different view levels on the camera and the logic that remembers which one you have selected between missions etc, but to be honest it's not that high priority an issue for me right now.

If you ask me again in a few months we might put it in the game then :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris said:

Yeah, it's relatively easy to support this - it's just a camera setting. It'll probably be a day or so of work to set up the different view levels on the camera and the logic that remembers which one you have selected between missions etc, but to be honest it's not that high priority an issue for me right now.

If you ask me again in a few months we might put it in the game then :)

---
Actually, that brings up a thought:
How difficult would be to code a "free-cam"(-mode) ala like in various "first-person-shooter"-games in "v-clip"-mode alongside during the replay-modes?

---

13 hours ago, Pave said:

---
Actually, that brings up a thought:
How difficult would be to code a "free-cam"(-mode) ala like in various "first-person-shooter"-games in "v-clip"-mode alongside during the replay-modes?

---

Difficult, and it'd also took terrible because the entire game is designed to be viewed from a 45-degree isometric angle. There's no sky, for example, because the player never sees it.

I'd like to know about the opposite direction: Being able to zoom out a bit more.

When I'm moving the formation across the field it would be nice to have a better idea where I'm going and what the terrain and cove looks like without losing the visual relationship to the unit positions. It isn't a big thing, but it's easier for me. Particularly when I have spotted aliens just outside the distance to see both mine and theirs at the same time.

On 2/14/2020 at 4:47 PM, Chris said:

Difficult, and it'd also took terrible because the entire game is designed to be viewed from a 45-degree isometric angle. There's no sky, for example, because the player never sees it.

---
Understandable.
It's just more of that I for one am one those "control-freaks" who'd like to have as much control over "camera" as possible, especially when trying to do some screenshot-montages.
So the "free-cam" would just have been an extra option.

The 360-degree-rotating-camera is a huge improvement over a large amount of games alongside the extra zoom-levels certainly allow players to plan and otherwise make their "pathfinding" a lot less of a frustration.
---

You have 45-degree isometric angle as an huge improvement against Xeononauts 1 where you have a fixed map. Everything more you won´t get about the Kickstarter Limit of the Game and that what the Devs have already brought in from Money and Time. 

If you don´t like that rotating system don´t use it or more extremly don´t play Xenonauts 2.

There is nothing more to say about that.

What the Zoom belongs, Chris said already that it could come in after the Game is fully playable. There are much more important things to bring in first and make the Game stable.