[ V.11 - Ground Combat] "Hidden Movement" graphic still pops up

maxm222

It's not a bug, it's an intended feature. It's quite possible we'll remove it in a later version of the game but there's more urgent things for us to be working on in the immediate future. Best thing is to keep reminding us every few months and you'll probably eventually catch us at a good time :)

Thinking over Chris' comments, I've gotta complain just one more time: I just finished a turn in an early terror combat in the shipping container yards where almost every alien turn was covered up at some point by the "Hidden Movement" graphic.  By hitting the edges of the screen with the cursor I can usually see something of what's going on, and none of what I glimpsed was anything that needed to be hidden, although it was often some action that I needed to see for planning and which was within the squad's LOS.  This is the one thing that really interferes with my enjoyment of the game, and I'm not expecting a bug-free or finished product in a beta.  I know that there are aliens creeping around where I can't see them.  The HM graphic is like creating tension by randomly blinding my entire squad: it's neither realistic nor fun.  

If a lot of you really like this graphic, I'd be interested in hearing why.  Maybe players are assuming that the stuff that's covered up is stuff your squad really couldn't see with the current LOS rules?  I do, of course, understand about other game priorities for the devs.  Just wanted to gripe.  Now I feel better.

Edited by maxm222
clarification

On 2/17/2020 at 12:26 AM, maxm222 said:

Thinking over Chris' comments, I've gotta complain just one more time: I just finished a turn in an early terror combat in the shipping container yards where almost every alien turn was covered up at some point by the "Hidden Movement" graphic.  By hitting the edges of the screen with the cursor I can usually see something of what's going on, and none of what I glimpsed was anything that needed to be hidden, although it was often some action that I needed to see for planning and which was within the squad's LOS.  This is the one thing that really interferes with my enjoyment of the game, and I'm not expecting a bug-free or finished product in a beta.  I know that there are aliens creeping around where I can't see them.  The HM graphic is like creating tension by randomly blinding my entire squad: it's neither realistic nor fun.  

If a lot of you really like this graphic, I'd be interested in hearing why.  Maybe players are assuming that the stuff that's covered up is stuff your squad really couldn't see with the current LOS rules?  I do, of course, understand about other game priorities for the devs.  Just wanted to gripe.  Now I feel better.

The HM screen is only meant to be displayed if action is occuring that isn't in the LOS of your soldiers; it's literally meant to hide movement that is hidden.

>The HM screen is only meant to be displayed if action is occurring that isn't in the LOS of your soldiers; it's literally meant to hide movement that is hidden.

Okay, so the assumption is that the HM graphic is not hiding anything that it shouldn't hide, yes?  And what I'm saying is that the HM is covering what should be visible.  I have taken casualties from "ghost" aliens that were hidden from view by the HM, and when I can scroll quickly enough to defeat the HM, I can see aliens who are in LOS moving around under the HM graphic.

The reason I'm trying to clarify this: if everyone else believes that the HM graphic is ONLY covering up movement that would not be visible anyway, I will need to document what I am seeing, since otherwise I can understand why no one else would be reporting or prioritizing the issue.

Edited by maxm222
clarification

• 3 weeks later...

I've also had this happen to me in the current build. The hidden movement screen is up and I hear someone firing, hitting (sometimes killing) a human. Then I have to wait and see until it's my turn and it turns out it was one of my guys that was hit.

• Like 1

I was overjoyed to see almost no appearance of the Hidden Movement (HM) graphic in the first few grounded UFO fights in the V12 build.  However, the HMs were as bad as ever after two or three fights.  

After doing some more testing consisting of yanking the Hidden Movement (HM) graphic off what it is supposed to be hiding (have to ram the cursor up against different sides of the screen, quickly, to find which way will move the HM graphic), I have confirmed--several times--that the graphic hides three things:

1. (Most often) Alien movement and firing within full view of human troops.  This is frustrating in the extreme for me, interrupts watching the flow of the battle and hides often-important information about who has attacked a soldier and how;

2. Alien actions which are not in human LOS, but which are not even close to the action.  For example, an alien moves from one place to another in a warehouse that is not in human LOS, but is not close or important to the battle at the moment.  I've seen the view shift into the total darkness of an unexplored part of the map, and then the HM graphic pop up to hide (when I can see underneath)--more blackness!
WTF?, as the  10 -year-old badasses never get tired of saying.  

3. Alien actions which are important and which should be kept hidden.  But why aren't the LOS mechanics doing their job and hiding that stuff?  Does the LOS mechanic really only work intermittently?

Worst of all, I never know which of the three events described above are occurring when the useless and distracting HM pic pops up once again.  I still don't understand why this obviously broken, useless distraction has once again not been important enough to fix--if for no other reason than for those of us spending dozens of hours beta testing.  Part of the best part of the game for me even in beta is that I never get tired of watching the interest and surprises of the alien turn.  

40 minutes ago, maxm222 said:

And, not to put too fine a point on it, the graphic appears to show two homeless fascist dumpster divers with webbed feet.  Apologies to the artist, but jeez..

Image5.jpg

I think they're called boots. Or at least, that's what I've heard. I really don't see the "webbed feet" unless you thought they weren't wearing shoes.