Suggestion for soldier animations

I think the current idle stance animations are too passive. The idle stance from Xenonauts 1 where better because soldiers where at (low ready stance) > Combat ready stance with weapon muzzle pointed down and gunstock at shoulder.

That created the atmosphere that a soldier is waiting for an allien to pop up and i think it increased the immersion and tension.

I would suggest to create idle animations with low ready stance and when soldier runs out of TU to shoot switch to current idle stance. That way soldiers that have enough TU left for shooting will be at a combat stance so you will know they are ready to fight or shoot on overwatch and those with current idle unable to shoot.

Sorry for my bad english

Edited by justinas91
  • Like 1

>Sorry for my bad english

That's okay, your english is 100% better than my Lithuanian.

I agree that idle animations can improve immersion and make the battlefield seem more alive, but the "change stance" animations are not very smooth, so I'm not sure that having one more abrupt change in stance would add that much.  I like idle animations where the soldiers shift their weight, look around, etc.--but those would probably take too much work, I'm guessing.

34 minutes ago, maxm222 said:

>Sorry for my bad english

That's okay, your english is 100% better than my Lithuanian.

I agree that idle animations can improve immersion and make the battlefield seem more alive, but the "change stance" animations are not very smooth, so I'm not sure that having one more abrupt change in stance would add that much.  I like idle animations where the soldiers shift their weight, look around, etc.--but those would probably take too much work, I'm guessing.

Maybe my standards for animations are too low, because i find the change from standing to crouching acceptable. And i think the shift their weight, look around animation is dooable and would add to the idle animation list for variation.

13 hours ago, Coffee Potato said:

They look like they're there for rehearsal imo. 

Exactly

And thats why i do not like the current standing animation. Because they look more like on guard duty and nowhere near a combat zone.

Edited by justinas91

Yeah, we're going to have to take another look at the soldier armour models anyway once the modular armour code and artwork is finished, and we'll probably look again at the animations then. I agree they feel a bit less "urgent" than in X1 right now.

2 hours ago, Chris said:

Yeah, we're going to have to take another look at the soldier armour models anyway once the modular armour code and artwork is finished, and we'll probably look again at the animations then. I agree they feel a bit less "urgent" than in X1 right now.

Good to hear that.