First I will start off by saying so far the game is looking great! I think this game will still do well despite Firaxis's Xcom Enemy Unknown being released Oct 9th, due to the access to beta. Also, the preservation of the basics of combat and action points remains so the game play is familiar and already well loved. The "modernization" of the new Xcom by Firaxis is yet to be seen if it will be considered a true xcom game by fans.

I'm holding my fingers crossed that you guys do well on this game and decide for the first major upgrade/expansion/sequel of the game will include multi-player in much the fashion of xcom tts. I know its been said that multiplayer is not in the scope of the current game and that the general feel is that it will add nothing to the game, but I feel that it is one of the things that will keep the game alive and kicking in the long run along with the obvious of good game play and modding capabilities. Obviously I don't speak for everyone but I do believe that many will agree with me. Multiplayer in this fashion even is not balanced for "fairness" is still a load of fun for the alien player even when its a generally speaking loosing battle.

Now to get actually on topic. One of the things things that has bugged me about the game currently is the combat experience flavor text on the recruits. The game takes place in 1979 and soldiers with different nationalities can have combat experience in Afghanistan. The ONLY soldiers that should have Afghanistan combat experience are Soviet Soldiers from the Soviet invasion of Dec. 1979. In the current game world technically no one at the start would have combat experience in Afghanistan. As a flavor note with the Red Bear having to deal with all the UFOs the invasion may not even happen.

I would start to compile a list of possible combat experiences with date ranges for soldiers of different nationalities in this thread if it is something of interest.

**Edit: Sorry I just realized I posted this in the Goldhawk general forum instead of the Xenonauts.

Edited by James

welcome James and good spot about the combat dates. I was putting together including the Russians in Afghanistan in 1979, but I hadn't spotted it on the soldiers screen at all.

For me, it's what the soldiers do in the game itself that makes them memorable, not where they've been before it.

I agree fully its what they do and get its just flavor text. I just happened to be looking through some new recruits and noticed a few Americans and Soviets with combat experience in Afghanistan and was thinking to myself I should see if they could put Iraq and Afghanistan for the combat experience on my soldier info in the game along with my name nationality and portrait. Shortly after that though I though hey those wars haven't happened yet, that the soviet invasion, which starts a few months after game start.

I was doing a lot of hires and dismisses and i looks like I as mistaken on the Americans having combat experience in Afghanistan, unless it was a bug I noticed but have yet to recreate.

Edited by James

the U.S.A, Australia, New Zealand and Canada

Don't forget South Korea.

There's already an Israeli mod with the Yom Kippur War in.

Indians would have experience from the 1971 war with Pakistan.

China could have the then incredibly recent war they had with Vietnam (I forget does the game start Jan. 1979?). Could also have the Sino-Soviet border conflicts for both the Soviet Union and China.

For the French you have the Chad-Libyian conflict. Algerian war is a little old for most soldiers I think.

What other nations do you think the Xenonauts would recruit from? It would make sense to put in all of the NATO and Warsaw Pact countries in to some degree.

Edited by DarkArk