Better save game file names please?--for bug hunting

I did a search on "save files" and "save names," but didn't see this topic in any recent posts.  

As far as I can tell, in the V10.1 build, when choosing a save game file name, no spaces, no text symbols (=, &, etc.), no lower case (small) letters are allowed, only ALLCAPS with no spaces.  It may seem like a low priority fix, but the current limitations make keeping track of bugs and being able to replay & reproduce an issue more difficult. 

I also know that save games may get wiped with each new build, but, for example, I have dozens of saves from only the past month--so better save game file names can even be useful in the short run.

4 hours ago, maxm222 said:

I did a search on "save files" and "save names," but didn't see this topic in any recent posts.  

As far as I can tell, in the V10.1 build, when choosing a save game file name, no spaces, no text symbols (=, &, etc.), no lower case (small) letters are allowed, only ALLCAPS with no spaces.  It may seem like a low priority fix, but the current limitations make keeping track of bugs and being able to replay & reproduce an issue more difficult. 

I also know that save games may get wiped with each new build, but, for example, I have dozens of saves from only the past month--so better save game file names can even be useful in the short run.

So it's a bit of a trade-off here; the reasons those limitations exist is because the save game file can then use that name on the file system, which makes it easier to find the correct save game when you're searching through a directory and trying to figure out which one to attach to a forum post or bug report.

The alternative is to allow the player to enter any name they like for a save game, but have the actual save file have a different name to the name it uses in-game. Not sure that's preferable though?

Yes, I get what you're saying, but as you can see in the screen shots, none of the save files that I can see--in the "grey_herald" folder (my current game) or the "auto" folder or on the "load game" screen--are the same as my save names, which are the two saves in the screen shot which are circled in red (gray3 and gray4), and those are the only places I see a my save file name being used.  Maybe I'm missing something?  If not, making the names of player-saved files more flexible wouldn't seem to produce any more save file confusion than currently.  

Image5.jpg